They have space shuttle launches in Florida

justamjustam Posts: 21,408
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
and I'm goin' to one in August.
:D

Has anyone been to one? Or a rocket launch even?

I've wanted to see one ever since I watched the capsules go to the moon on TV. :geek:
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    I saw the plume of a launch earlier this year. When I move to Palm Beach County next year I'm taking my daughter to one, she wants to be a astronaut one day.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    :)

We're bringing our children too. I hope they find it inspiring.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • iamsam_pjiamsam_pj Posts: 300
    i've never actually driven over to the cape for a launch...but have been able to see it pretty clearly from outside when i lived in orlando. we could even see a night launch here in tampa a month or so ago.

are you just going to be in the area for the launch or do you actually have seats in the bleachers at the space center?! all i'd recommend is that you get to the cape canaveral/cocoa beach area ridiculously early and be prepared for a crazy amount of traffic!!!

people are usually able to get a good view along the side of the road towards port canaveral on the beachline...there are spots along one of the bridges where you can park. that'd be the best area to get a view of the space center from not too far away! or you can just go to the beach and watch it :D
  • i've always wanted to go to one too, hope you have fun.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/lau ... ewing.html

I've seen it. It's worth it.
    Be ready for delays though. It doesn't always launch on time or the day scheduled but it is definately worth seeing and hearing.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    Oooh 5 years living in florida and i haven't seen any launches, and i call my self a geek what a loser am i! maybe this could be my first launch!!! :ugeek:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • TravelarTravelar Posts: 3,390
    If you're contemplating this, you'd better do soon it because there are only a handful of shuttle launches left as the shuttle fleet is being retired in 2010. It's going to be at least 2017 (likely closer to 2020) before the new Ares rockets are ready, so there won't be any major launches for a while.
    iamsam_pj wrote:
    i've never actually driven over to the cape for a launch...but have been able to see it pretty clearly from outside when i lived in orlando. we could even see a night launch here in tampa a month or so ago.

are you just going to be in the area for the launch or do you actually have seats in the bleachers at the space center?! all i'd recommend is that you get to the cape canaveral/cocoa beach area ridiculously early and be prepared for a crazy amount of traffic!!!

people are usually able to get a good view along the side of the road towards port canaveral on the beachline...there are spots along one of the bridges where you can park. that'd be the best area to get a view of the space center from not too far away! or you can just go to the beach and watch it :D

We wanted to go to the space center. My husband said we can get tickets to see it. :geek:

It sounds like you know more about this than I do though. It makes sense that people would go to the nearby beaches to watch it. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    If you're contemplating this, you'd better do soon it because there are only a handful of shuttle launches left as the shuttle fleet is being retired in 2010. It's going to be at least 2017 (likely closer to 2020) before the new Ares rockets are ready, so there won't be any major launches for a while.

There's supposed to be a launch in the first week of August. That's the one we're going to go to.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    justam wrote:
    and I'm goin' to one in August.
    :D

Has anyone been to one? Or a rocket launch even?

I've wanted to see one ever since I watched the capsules go to the moon on TV. :geek:

do they? i'd never have known. ;) haha.

never been to one but i think that's utterly cool you and your family are going - have FUN!
    let us all know how it was!
    :ugeek:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

never been to one but i think that's utterly cool you and your family are going - have FUN!
    :geek:

I know it sounds funny to say it that way, but I'm trying to see what good things there are to do in Florida this summer. I need to get used to the place and settle in before school starts up again in the Fall.

So, I'm noticing what's good down there on the edge of the country!! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i lived in cocoa for a summer 2 years ago. people living there said that half the spacecenter's employees were laid off. a friend of mine said he went a few months ago and it was like a ghosttown. i was lucky to get when i was real young. i bet its still worth going for the kids though.
    im lucky enough to have an amazing condo still out there on the water looking right at the launch pads. i went to watch a shuttle launch about a month or so ago but i believe thats the last one for a long time. it was a night launch so maybe i misread and its the last "night" shuttle launch..have to look into it
    its great for kids cause when used to come down and visit from detroit growing up my dad always drove us to the coast and stay in some shit hotel and watch..i loved it

heres a pic from the last one..i went to grab my takeout from across the street cause i thought the launch was an hour later so i was on the wrong side of the condo..was still awesome though
    it pretty much looks like this from orlando 50 mins away but you gotta be on the coast so you can FEEL the shuttle

iphoneapril.jpg
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    justam wrote:

:geek:

I know it sounds funny to say it that way, but I'm trying to see what good things there are to do in Florida this summer. I need to get used to the place and settle in before school starts up again in the Fall.

So, I'm noticing what's good down there on the edge of the country!! :)

oh i know...it just was funny! :P
    i am sure it must be very exciting, moving to a whole new state and city. i am sure you will have a fun 'honeymoon' with your new place....discovering cool restaurants, places to go.....i imagine there must be some beautiful parks and gardens to find! hope all goes smoothy with your move an that you find a lot of FUN things to do in your new hometown!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

i lived in cocoa for a summer 2 years ago. people living there said that half the spacecenter's employees were laid off. a friend of mine said he went a few months ago and it was like a ghosttown. i was lucky to get when i was real young. i bet its still worth going for the kids though.
    im lucky enough to have an amazing condo still out there on the water looking right at the launch pads. i went to watch a shuttle launch about a month or so ago but i believe thats the last one for a long time. it was a night launch so maybe i misread and its the last "night" shuttle launch..have to look into it
    its great for kids cause when used to come down and visit from detroit growing up my dad always drove us to the coast and stay in some shit hotel and watch..i loved it

heres a pic from the last one..i went to grab my takeout from across the street cause i thought the launch was an hour later so i was on the wrong side of the condo..was still awesome though
    it pretty much looks like this from orlando 50 mins away but you gotta be on the coast so you can FEEL the shuttle

iphoneapril.jpg

Great! Thanks for putting the picture up. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    Didn't feel like making a new topic, but thought this was really cool. Space shuttle seen from an airplane :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE_USPTmYXM
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Didn't feel like making a new topic, but thought this was really cool. Space shuttle seen from an airplane :)

oooo .... cool thanks for posting! :thumbup:
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    edited November 2012

Very cool.

I think I heard someone comment from the plane..."that's going faster than us, isn't it?..."
    :wtf:
    Post edited by rollings on
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859

WOW. Cool.