Options

Thanks and a moment of your time...

edited April 2009 in The Porch
I am a long time member of 10c who rarely posts but feels compelled to today, wanting to say thanks and tell my story. I grew up in Encinitas, CA playing soccer with Ed's stepbrother Mike. I went to San Dieguito High, same as Mike and Ed. One day back in 1991, during P.E. class Mike told us that his brother was in a band that was getting a lot of notoriety and were getting ready to release their first album. He passed his Walkman around and we listened to some tracks that Ed had sent Mike. We were impressed but didn't think too much of it at the time, until Ten was released. We were obviously biased but loved supporting Mike and Ed, the local boy gone big. In mid-1992 a group of friends and I went down to Tijuana to finally go see them play for the first time. We were able to get some tickets to the show, though not all of us. Not long before the show started Ed came out and asked how many of us needed tixs. He went back inside for a few minutes and came back out and handed all of us who were empty handed passes to get into the show...I will never forget that moment for as long as I live. That night, almost 17 years ago, I saw WHY Pearl Jam would become my favorite band. It's safe to say that 99.9% of you know the exact feeling I am talking about. I have had so many great memories and experiences over the years having the privilege of seeing nearly 50 shows. I am proud of PJ, one of the few bands who have withstood the test of time, staying together, putting out great music, killer shows, and showing tremendous compassion for our earth and humanity. As someone mentioned in another thread, the economy has so much influence on a lot of our decisions this year. Needless to say, this is one of the most interesting tour years for the fans in PJ's history. I personally enjoy the excitement, the leaks, the old rumor pit, and Porch discussions. There's nothing better than the build up to an announcement (IMO). The band and 10c's approach to any big announcements, coincidentally enough, has always been metaphorically like a wave and I love watching all the way from the build up to the break. This year has put a financial strain on so many people and it has led to a lot of emotion and criticism towards 10c and the band. I urge everyone to remain patient during these times and do the best we can to stay positive. Thanks to PJ, 10c, and the members of 10c for being such a positive and integral part of my life. Peace.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Awesome & inspiring story, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    I'll ride THAT wave... full on knowing where it will take me! Very well put! I think that's why I'm bobbing around here now more, first the tweet for Ed's solo shows, and knowing all along they're in the studio.... The wave it'sa building!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    Great post!
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    ValleyGalValleyGal Posts: 122
    Well said . . .

Maybe we all need to take a minute to remember just how lucky we are :D
  • Options
    619 represent!! Love that story. I've got a second-hand (but reliable) pre-PJ Ed in San Diego story that I would never post on the internet. As do many of my friends in my hometown of Seattle. Suffice to say that our boy is definitely one cool motherfucker that I have been proud to support since '95 when I first saw the man play, at the Backdoor playing rhythm guitar with Mike Watt. It still stings that the nascent Pearl Jam played an impromptu gig at Winters while clueless me was living about a mile away when I was an undergrad at State. Nor did I catch them at Iguana's. :cry: Truth be told I originally dismissed Pearl Jam as MTV hippie latecomers because I was (am) a big Soundgarden and Nirvana fanboy. Then Vs. came out and well, y'know.

I too am very proud of PJ, proud of Ed, proud of Matt, proud of the whole band and proud all of us. It's going to be an amazing year. Selah.
    san diego 5.20.95 (watt+ed) . san diego 11.7.95 . oakland 11.18.97 (stones) . san diego 7.10.98 . las vegas 7.11.98 . san diego 10.25.00 . san diego 6.5.03 . seattle 4.9.04 (impact awards) . san diego 7.7.06 . san diego 4.15.08 (ed) . san diego 4.16.08 (ed) . honolulu 7.1.09 (ed) . honolulu 7.2.09 (ed) . los angeles 10.1.09 . san diego 10.9.09 . san diego 7.5.11 (ed) . seattle 7.16.11 (ed)
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    very cool!!
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Great story. One of the few posts I don't regret reading.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Great story. One of the few posts I don't regret reading.

+1

I'm one of those people, unfortunately, whose brain has a hard time processing information when it is in one long paragraph.

But it forced me to take my time to read s-l-o-w-l-y because I always read too fast. :)

And slow is good sometimes. My husband walks so slow and at times, I say to myself when he finally catches up with me: "I finally caught up with him". And it's true....

Thank you so much, STONEd and dAMENT-ED, for sharing an inspiring story with us and reminding us again how humans can be simply humans...by being patient, caring, supporting, listening, seeing, loving....and forgiving. :)

I'd also like to thank the commenters because of their positive responses, it made me read your story.
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,758
    Awesome post. I hope some people around here will take note of it and quit bitching about every little thing that you could possibly think of. This band does so much for their fans and some people just dont appreciate it.
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    After the tweets of eddie's tour this is my favorite thread of the months! ;)
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    very cool!...you are like thee original fan and shit!...OG Fan!

to the people who say we should feel lucky...

i don't consider myself to be lucky for all PJ does because i wouldn't be a fan of a bunch of douche-bags who shit on their fans..i see it as being peaceful & content to co-exist on this planet at the same time and i choose to be a Fanatic because of my love for their music...which is greatly magnified with the mostly like mindedness i share with them..and i know my appreciation of them is reciprocated.
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    best post ive read in a while :)
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I loved reading your story and the message it drives. :) This is probably my fave thread now too.
  • Options
    wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    arq wrote:
    After the tweets of eddie's tour this is my favorite thread of the months! ;)
    X2, thanks for posting that, its great to hear those kinda stories...that Tijuana show, I've never seen a setlist from that, I almost thought it never happened...I'm glad you got to see them in that kinda setting back then, must have been sick...anyone on the setlist? God, now they'd get killed or kidnapped with how that area's been lately...sorry about the tangent, great thread! :mrgreen:
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    Wow, just beautiful, cheers.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    good read. couldn't have said it better. i can't wait for the day where i can truly say 'further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...'

PJ rules so bad it hurts
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    That's one hell of an AWESOME story! :) Enjoyed reading it, Thanks for posting it :)
    Melbourne 95 (x3) Melbourne 98 (x3) Melbourne 03 (x3) Melbourne 06 (x3) Melbourne 09 (x1) EV 11' (x2) BDO Melbourne (x1) EV 14' (x2) IF ANYONE HAS SPARES FOR EV MELBOURNE NIGHT 1.. OR KNOWS OF ANYONE WITH SPARES, IM IN DESPERATE NEED OF SOME.. PLEASE EITHER PM ME ON HERE OR THROUGH FB AND HOPEFULLY WE CAN WORK SOMETHING OUT!!!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    acutejam wrote:
    I'll ride THAT wave... full on knowing where it will take me! Very well put! I think that's why I'm bobbing around here now more, first the tweet for Ed's solo shows, and knowing all along they're in the studio.... The wave it'sa building!

You should probably see this video if you wanna know more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCpQbQ3SYEg

:D
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,313
    Thanks for the story and positive words.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    Great post! Thanks for sharing :D
  • Options
    IAmMyselfIAmMyself Posts: 667
    Ed is so great is so many ways, thanks for sharing your story. I love to hear about fans my age who have followed them the whole entire way without giving it up for a second. It sure doesnt' feel like it's been almost 20 years, but time flys when your having the time of your life. PJ has kept me inspired my whole adult life and I will forever be thankful for that. I get the same feeling today when I am at a show as I did in the early days, thanks PJ for keeping me young. ;)
    Thanks again for your post! :!:
    "Please help me to help you, help yourself." EV
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    awesome post. Great story - thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Good words
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    great post, well said :D:D:D
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    beautiful post - what an amazing experience for you! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    edited April 2009
    Epic walls of text are so awesome. But great post!
    Post edited by Brisk. on
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353
    its story like that that make want to listen to Pearl Jam....EVEN MORE
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,082
    Ahhhh...nice read.

Thanks for sharing your story.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me