Options

Guest Appearances on albums

JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
edited April 2009 in The Porch
What are people's opinions about having guests on a PJ record? Granted, it happens more & works well on solo artists albums; eg

Mike Watt - Ball Hog or Tugboat?
Jack Irons - Attention Dimension
Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum

So far theyve had Neil Young, Brenand O'Brien, appear on album tracks, and more collaborations that were B-Sides (Real Thing etc)

But what about PJ having guests on tracks? Who would you like? Or are you against it? Keep it to B-Sides?

They have plenty of people who would be contenders to contribute...Jim James, Ben Harper, Jack Irons, Kings Of Leon, Neil Young, Liam Finn & EJ Barnes, Mark Lanegan, Peter Frampton, Barb Ireland, Flea, John Frusciante, Alain Johainnes, REM, Josh Homme, Chris Cornell, John McBain, Mark Arm, Steve Turner, Pete Droge, Barrett Martin, Richard Stuverud, Doug Pinnick...and more im sure

The list goes on. Any thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Gotta be honest. I'm kind of a purist in that I think guests should be limited to B-Sides if at all. Obviously Neil Young's/Brendan O'Brien's collaboration worked out brilliantly on Merkinball, but my opinion is that there's enough vision within the band to produce a remarkable body of work without watering things down by bringing someone else in.

In '96 I had a hard enough time wrapping my head around the fact that Stone was singing on Mankind instead of eV. I got over it and embraced it for what it is: a fun song. But to me PJ is a singular artistic body. What they do is completely unique, even after 18 years of listening to them. Hearing anyone other than Stone, Jeff, eV, or Chris Cornell adding vocals would be a distraction. And even Jeff is a stretch ;)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard