Help recording to a computer

ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
edited April 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm looking to start some basic recording to my laptop. I've got audacity already on my computer and am fairly comfortable with it. I'm not looking to do too much. Basically a Springsteen "Nebraska" or Nick Drake "Pink Moon" type of thing. Basic acoustic guitar, maybe a layer of piano, and maybe another lead acoustic. After I get it down, I'd like to put vocals down. What all do I need? I'm not looking to invest a whole lot of money right off the bat, but I would like to start recording.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hey there,

i would suggest getting a M-audio interface or smaller MBox, something with few channels. The protools software is great, and comes stock with decent enough plugins for demo material. I've been using it for years, and actually go to school now learning it all the time. you can often find craiglisted digidesign gear for quite cheap. Check it out.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'd look for a DigiDesign MBox 2. You could get by with the MBox 2 Mini, but it only has one mic input, and you will probably want the ability to record using stereo techniques, or record acoustic guitar and voice simultaneously, etc. The MBox 2 has two good mic preamps, lots of other connection options, and ProTools LE software.

There are other options that will work with Cubase, Audacity, Garageband, etc. but I'm not as familiar. I know the PreSonus Audiobox is supposed to be pretty nice. Like I said, I'd steer towards something with two mic preamps via a USB interface. You could get a firewire interface, but that's probably more horsepower than you need right now.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • moejilesmoejiles Posts: 70
    Not sure if I have the correct answer here, but Ive recently invested in an off line recording device called the Zoom H2. You can record 4 channels if you like, or 2(in stereo). It records in WAV or Mp3 at various frequencies. Then you transfer the file to your PC to your editing software.. I'm using Audacity right now and making some likeable MP3's
    The price was about $200 (CAD)

Here is the link
    http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodid=1916

Hopefully this helps or gives an option to consider.
    Cheers

Joe
  • Zoom H2 is a great tool, i use one every day - bit not for recording 'take'd' sessions or anything.

Its great for capturing sound effects, interviews, ambiences, spur of the moment campfire jams, etc,

but it still leaves you searching for a good peice of software to edit/mix/master tracks. It also prohibits someone from sampling/recording multiple takes, say over a drumtrack, in real time. you would have to play along, then sync up, and deal with the noise floor over and over again. No dissing the H2 though, great tool, i have captured, and used sounds with it and put them into movies seamlessly after cutting them.

Harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19