Theater release for the Cameron Crowe - Pearl Jam movie?

jmkjmk Posts: 425
edited March 2010 in The Porch
Do you think that the upcoming Cameron Crow / Pearl Jam film will be getting a movie theatre release or will it just be a DVD and Blue-ray project?

I really hope it will come to theaters worldwide. It would be really great to see it on a big screen.
Stockholm - 07/07/2012
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• et21et21 Posts: 112
    Dear god I hope not. I thought it was a movie movie and then I realized it was a documentary. That makes me feel a whole lot better.
    I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    et21 wrote:
    Dear god I hope not. I thought it was a movie movie and then I realized it was a documentary. That makes me feel a whole lot better.

agree. my vote is straight to blu-ray.
  • What film?? :o

Sorry I'm really behind here! Will it get a uk release?
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• jmkjmk Posts: 425
    et21 wrote:

Documentaries do also get theatre releases and I'm personally looking forward to this documentary:

http://www.sonyclassics.com/itmightgetloud/

It's directed by Davis Guggenheim, who also directed Academy Award–winning documentary An Inconvenient Truth (the documentary from 2007 about Climate Change with Al Gore).

It's not impossible that a documentary about Pearl Jam from a great director such as Cameron Crowe, would get a theatre release. Only time will tell...
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,905
    jmk wrote:
    Do you think that the upcoming Cameron Crow / Pearl Jam film will be getting a movie theatre release or will it just be a DVD and Blue-ray project?

I really hope it will come to theatres worldwide. It would be really great to see it on a big screen.

don't expect a "Rattle and Hum"-type of project/release, it's more of a retrospective for the die-hards of the early '90s Ten era,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • 100 Pacer wrote:
    jmk wrote:

I really hope it will come to theatres worldwide. It would be really great to see it on a big screen.

don't expect a "Rattle and Hum"-type of project/release, it's more of a retrospective for the die-hards of the early '90s Ten era,...

no blue ray. just regular DVD. not everybody has a million dollar TV sound system.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • CP13458CP13458 Posts: 12
    100 Pacer wrote:
    jmk wrote:

no blue ray. just regular DVD. not everybody has a million dollar TV sound system.

Not sure if you've looked at the numbers but Blu-Ray is now the top selling format. DVDs will be obselete in 3 or 4 years tops so you should go out and get yoursef a blu-ray player or a PS3:) And PS3s will be much cheaper soon after Sony's Q2 earnings are out. I know, I know...it's true about the money...but that's technology for ya!
  • brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    why everyone hating the theater idea? is it because it would draw more attention/more crowds (and that's a negative thing, imo)? or are you guys worried about it being too slick or something? or maybe bomb? curious. because personally I'd love a Rattle and Hum type of thing. (now I'm not saying I like that movie, but it did have the balls to be in the theater...same with Stone's Shine A Light...it's the gutsiness I dig).
  • brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    CP13458 wrote:
    DVDs will be obselete in 3 or 4 years tops

no way. they'll last another 5. :lol: although I hope they last longer. I aint having any of that blu stuff.
  • einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    broloco wrote:
    why everyone hating the theater idea? is it because it would draw more attention/more crowds (and that's a negative thing, imo)? or are you guys worried about it being too slick or something? or maybe bomb? curious. because personally I'd love a Rattle and Hum type of thing. (now I'm not saying I like that movie, but it did have the balls to be in the theater...same with Stone's Shine A Light...it's the gutsiness I dig).

I'm with you on this, I love some PJ buzz out in public!
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    broloco wrote:
    CP13458 wrote:
    DVDs will be obselete in 3 or 4 years tops

no way. they'll last another 5. :lol: although I hope they last longer. I aint having any of that blu stuff.

i was lucky enough to score a ps3 for christmas last year, but in terms of technology I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years the widely accepted format for movie release will be via internet streaming (i.e. to your cpu, tv, etc). all the major us entertainment companies are in discussions with netflix, (i've even heard bestbuy) to make their catalogs available for streaming. it should get interesting.....
  • Immagine in Cornice had a small "theatrical release", I would bet for the same for this movie.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    100 Pacer wrote:
    jmk wrote:

wow - memories!
    i remember when rattle & hum was released, oh so long ago! i was living in london at the time - school - and one of my roommates was a diehard U2 fan. we went to the premiere, actually saw the band outside the theatre....and saw the film. ahhhhh.....good memories, good times!

that said, i think it would be cool to see the pearl jam film in a theatre. either way though, i am looking forward to it!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

edited April 2009
    On the other hand it doesn't seem to be a movie directed by Cameron Crowe in the same way Shine A Light was a Martin Scorsese movie documenting the Rolling Stones playing a concert.

Mike said:
    "We're trying to do a movie with Cameron Crowe with all of our existing footage."

This sounds more like both Cameron Crowe and Pearl Jam is co-directors and editors of existing footage that has been directed and filmed by someone else. I don't know if we can call Cameron Crowe the director or co-director of this movie but it looks like he's not directing or filming anything new.
    Post edited by jmk on
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
    100 Pacer wrote:
    jmk wrote:

Where did you hear that it will be a retrospective of the early '90s Ten era?

Didn't Mike say that they are "going through" ALL of the bands existing footage for the movie?
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
    It certainly would be nice to see a Pearl Jam concert film directed by Cameron Crowe, like Scorsese did with Shine A Light. And with this I mean a future show.

Now Cameron and Pearl Jam take your time to do the documentary first ;)

I don't think there's anyone on this board who wouldn't want to see a movie like this. Just imagine a complete Pearl Jam concert film directed by Cameron Crowe in a movie theater. That is the next best thing to seeing them live and if they don't come to the country where you live in, or a country near you, it's as close as some people could get to experience them live in a concert.
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    jmk wrote:
    It certainly would be nice to see a Pearl Jam concert film directed by Cameron Crowe, like Scorsese did with Shine A Light. And with this I mean a future show.

Now Cameron and Pearl Jam take your time to do the documentary first ;)

I don't think there's anyone on this board who wouldn't want to see a movie like this. Just imagine a complete Pearl Jam concert film directed by Cameron Crowe in a movie theater. That is the next best thing to seeing them live and if they don't come to the country where you live in, or a country near you, it's as close as some people could get to experience them live in a concert.
    To be honest, I really REALLY wish PJ would get Scorsese on board to do a concert film - I find his products are massive steps up from anyone else's - even Danny Clinch, who I'd say is currently the second-best around (behind Scorsese). I find most directors seem to feel that the audience who watches a concert film is ADD, and loves to have the camera switch a view to another member of the band every roughly two seconds. Scorsese understands this isn't the case, and if he has a nice shot - he stays there for at least seven or eight seconds most times. He does this in Shine a Light beautifully, the Last Waltz even better.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    100 Pacer wrote:
    jmk wrote:

ok grandma. You can get blu-ray players under $200 now. :P
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,486
    Ok wrote:
    et21 wrote:

agree. my vote is straight to blu-ray.

mine too! :)
  • Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books Posts: 2,672
    I'm thinking that maybe the first part of this performance, or the whole performance might make the cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOT5HF_stbs
  • dave Matthews just had a thing out in theatres. nothing major and it was only one screen for a week or something, but it was out.

something like that would work.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,486
    jmk wrote:

I really hope it will come to theaters worldwide. It would be really great to see it on a big screen.

I'm hoping it hits IMAX! Then straight up Bluray / DVD release! :D