Options

Stone is my favorite Pearl Jammer but come on

Pearl SamPearl Sam Posts: 88
edited April 2009 in The Porch
Salmon and turtles aside - when is the last time Stone Gossard wrote a memorable guitar riff? As my memory serves, his last really good riffage appeared on Yield; actually it starred on Yield. Since 1998, we've listened to Stone's disappointing riffage on Binaural (Breakerfall, Rival were decent and by far the best IMHO), nothing to speak of on Riot Act (though I will say the malfunctioning modem at the beginning of Get Right was fascinating) and an improvement with Avocado (but still nothing memorable other than arguably Life Wasted, Army Reserve??). So, while Stone showed signs of a creative rebirth on Guacamole, it was in no way a full circle rebirth.

Please understand that I'm not a complete redneck, mouth breather who demands sucky radio music, though I am maybe a little bit of a redneck. Nope, I don’t like JUST fan-friendly riffage, although those kinds of riffs can sometimes be fun. Mostly, I love Stone’s weirdness – his odder numbers, his mid-tempo rockers with riffs which, as Stone says, “butt up against one another”. That’s Stone at his best.

Remember, I love Yield and it was far from a radio record. No, I only hope for good riffs - riffs which perhaps music critics would appreciate more, as it seems I typically have similar taste to those booty-headed freaks.

Let me make it clear that I do believe Stone Gossard is an excellent musician who is pretty talented with the guitar. He may not be as talented as Mike McCready, but I believe Stone's creative ability makes up for any deficit of raw guitar talent. Actually, it's Stone’s creative ability that has always been the backbone of Pearl Jam; it's the reason Pearl Jam burst onto the music scene in the early 1990s, and that creative spirit is exactly what must be rekindled if we as fans will ever see a Pearl Jam record as good as Yield or prior ever again.

After he gets the turtles and salmon all squared away, Stone must put the writer's block out of his mind, bear down and polish up what’s already likely to be on the record, and hopefully write a couple kick-arse last minute ditties. I just hope he stays away from the extreme ballads (see Parachutes) and extreme fast rockers (Comatose, STBC). Bring on the (tongue in cheek) heroin :o if that’s what it takes; just don’t get addicted.

The other four members are in their primes musically. Mike is better than ever and even writes more these days, Ed’s songwriting has improved drastically and out of nowhere during the last 5 years, Matt Cameron may be one of the best drummers in the history of Rock and Jeff Ament is a very talented bassist who cares about Pearl Jam more than probably anybody else in the band.

So, to summarize, it’s Stone’s fault. Oh, shut up Eddie :x and go Yield to nature! I love Stone it's not his fault, he just loves turtles and salmon fish. :roll:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Strangest Tribe
    Rival
    Of The Girl
    All or None
    Parachutes

Those are all some pretty great riffs. Maybe they're a little mellow for you, but I think they are amazing.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    where's the love for the turtles?! :evil: :twisted:
    cmon now.........hahahaha.....be serious. the man, just like anyone, is allowed to have his own outside interests. i APPLAUD stone, and the members of pj, for all they do for the world at large. life isn't JUST about great guitar riffs. besides, yes...i think he does just fine. even if the man didn't nothing more to contribute to musci - and i am sure he will - but even if he didn't, he ALREADY has given soooo much. give me a break...and yay for turtles. :D keep it up stone....YOU ROCK!!! 8-)8-)8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I think Life Wasted is one of the best songs they've written. Awesome Stone riff.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    I think Life Wasted is one of the best songs they've written. Awesome Stone riff.

Couldn't agree with someone any more, even if i tried...
  • Options
    I think that Stone's style greatly depends on his emotions, thus not always being liked by the majority. I saw him solo in Boston last year, and I liked all of his new material. I have high hopes for his riffs this time round.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886

UMMM , did Mike write JUST the lyrics or the music also?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Pearl SamPearl Sam Posts: 88
    Stoney wrote the guitar in Life Wasted, Vedder wrote the lyrics.
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    mickeyrat wrote:

UMMM , did Mike write JUST the lyrics or the music also?
    The only song that might wrote both for was Inside Job ... I thought ...
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    saustin wrote:
    Salmon and turtles aside - when is the last time Stone Gossard wrote a memorable guitar riff? As my memory serves, his last really good riffage appeared on Yield; actually it starred on Yield. Since 1998, we've listened to Stone's disappointing riffage on Binaural (Breakerfall, Rival were decent and by far the best IMHO), nothing to speak of on Riot Act (though I will say the malfunctioning modem at the beginning of Get Right was fascinating) and an improvement with Avocado (but still nothing memorable other than arguably Life Wasted, Army Reserve??). So, while Stone showed signs of a creative rebirth on Guacamole, it was in no way a full circle rebirth.

Please understand that I'm not a complete redneck, mouth breather who demands sucky radio music, though I am maybe a little bit of a redneck. Nope, I don’t like JUST fan-friendly riffage, although those kinds of riffs can sometimes be fun. Mostly, I love Stone’s weirdness – his odder numbers, his mid-tempo rockers with riffs which, as Stone says, “butt up against one another”. That’s Stone at his best.

Remember, I love Yield and it was far from a radio record. No, I only hope for good riffs - riffs which perhaps music critics would appreciate more, as it seems I typically have similar taste to those booty-headed freaks.

Let me make it clear that I do believe Stone Gossard is an excellent musician who is pretty talented with the guitar. He may not be as talented as Mike McCready, but I believe Stone's creative ability makes up for any deficit of raw guitar talent. Actually, it's Stone’s creative ability that has always been the backbone of Pearl Jam; it's the reason Pearl Jam burst onto the music scene in the early 1990s, and that creative spirit is exactly what must be rekindled if we as fans will ever see a Pearl Jam record as good as Yield or prior ever again.

After he gets the turtles and salmon all squared away, Stone must put the writer's block out of his mind, bear down and polish up what’s already likely to be on the record, and hopefully write a couple kick-arse last minute ditties. I just hope he stays away from the extreme ballads (see Parachutes) and extreme fast rockers (Comatose, STBC). Bring on the (tongue in cheek) heroin :o if that’s what it takes; just don’t get addicted.

The other four members are in their primes musically. Mike is better than ever and even writes more these days, Ed’s songwriting has improved drastically and out of nowhere during the last 5 years, Matt Cameron may be one of the best drummers in the history of Rock and Jeff Ament is a very talented bassist who cares about Pearl Jam more than probably anybody else in the band.

So, to summarize, it’s Stone’s fault. Oh, shut up Eddie :x and go Yield to nature! I love Stone it's not his fault, he just loves turtles and salmon fish. :roll:

1. Ed wrote Breakerall.

2. You're right, Stone is the man. He's the one that brings that great groove to PJ, which has sadly been killed lately thanks to shitty fast-paced rockers like the ones you mentioned.

3. Are you sure Jeff is in his prime? I haven't been able to hear him play in years. As best I can tell based on albums, bootlegs, and live shows, there is no bass in PJ.

4. Matt C is the one I blame for Stone's struggles. Matt's a great heavy metal drummer, he's like a human metronome. But he doesn't have that earthy, organic groove that Dave A and Jack had to complement Stone's funky riffs. So I think Stone has had to ditch that stuff and the result is albums and songs that sound stilted.
  • Options
    2. You're right, Stone is the man. He's the one that brings that great groove to PJ, which has sadly been killed lately thanks to shitty fast-paced rockers like the ones you mentioned.

This is a bit of a ramble, sorry...

I think this point is fairly valid and I can only speculate, but I'd guess Ed's responsible for this. For some reason he keeps favoring these fairly generic short power punk songs and reworking songs with too many moving parts. As they've said in many interviews Ed has a kind of de facto veto power of what songs make the album. Who knows what Stone riffs were left on the cutting room floor in favor of these same old punk rockers?

I thought Stone did some amazing work in the Binaural sessions with Matt as a drummer. I'd argue there's a more earthy feel to songs like Of The Girl and Rival. So, I'm not totally convinced its Matt's influence.

I really think Ed's support of Stone's riffs is the better answer to this question. If he can't get behind some of Stone's funky grooves, is he really going to take time to write lyrics for them?

Sadly, even on the non power punk rockers, I think Ed's gotten way manic with chopping up songs and creating these Frankensongs. See WWS and Severed Hand as examples - so many segments that don't quite fulfill, if that makes any sense.

What happened to Puzzles and Games? A great little groove reworked into Light Years. Mind you, I dig LY, but the flow is a bit off in it.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    There is a song called "RIVAL" that you should listen to off the "Binaural" album.
    And I guess while you are at it, it be proper to check out "Bushleaguer" from "Riot Act" and "Life Wasted" off that Avacodo record as well. Great fucking stuff right there.

Stone is the master of offbeat weird riffs. He hasn't lost a thing. Granted, his songwriting has evolved over the years, but the man has still got the goods.

"All or None" and "Parachutes" are really interesting little Stone riffs as well; maybe not "barn burners" but cool none the less.

I expect the new record to bring us a few more Stone riffs to scratch our heads over and smile at.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    saustin wrote:

Mike's better than ever and Ed's songwriting has improved drastically? Huh?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    1. Ed wrote Breakerall.

3. Are you sure Jeff is in his prime? I haven't been able to hear him play in years. As best I can tell based on albums, bootlegs, and live shows, there is no bass in PJ.

4. Matt C is the one I blame for Stone's struggles. Matt's a great heavy metal drummer, he's like a human metronome. But he doesn't have that earthy, organic groove that Dave A and Jack had to complement Stone's funky riffs. So I think Stone has had to ditch that stuff and the result is albums and songs that sound stilted.[/quote]

well said, and have to agree, nice thread :(
  • Options
    whitepantswhitepants Posts: 723

Word!!!
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    I think the riffs that they have come up with lately have been pretty generic. That said, I love the last 3 albums.

I know I'll get flak by some for saying this but I think Ed is in part to blame for this. I think his influence as a "guitarist" has come through of late and Stone in many ways has been the odd man out, or perhaps put on the back burner.
    Now, I can't prove any of that but it's just a hunch I've had for a little while now.

Hell, even live you can hear Ed's guitar more than you can hear Stone's a lot of times...and that is not right!
  • Options
    ejny wrote:

This is a bit of a ramble, sorry...

I think this point is fairly valid and I can only speculate, but I'd guess Ed's responsible for this. For some reason he keeps favoring these fairly generic short power punk songs and reworking songs with too many moving parts. As they've said in many interviews Ed has a kind of de facto veto power of what songs make the album. Who knows what Stone riffs were left on the cutting room floor in favor of these same old punk rockers?

I thought Stone did some amazing work in the Binaural sessions with Matt as a drummer. I'd argue there's a more earthy feel to songs like Of The Girl and Rival. So, I'm not totally convinced its Matt's influence.

I really think Ed's support of Stone's riffs is the better answer to this question. If he can't get behind some of Stone's funky grooves, is he really going to take time to write lyrics for them?

Sadly, even on the non power punk rockers, I think Ed's gotten way manic with chopping up songs and creating these Frankensongs. See WWS and Severed Hand as examples - so many segments that don't quite fulfill, if that makes any sense.

What happened to Puzzles and Games? A great little groove reworked into Light Years. Mind you, I dig LY, but the flow is a bit off in it.

You might be right there. Those are two of my fav Binaural songs there, and that album did sound good. Plus, Matt sounded pretty good with the band in 98 and thereabouts. I do think Ed might be the problem. Like you said, there are a lot of generic punk rockers these days. And those are exactly the songs I thought of when the band was saying in a recent interviews that they're trying to approach this album from the perspective of "will we still want to play this in 10 years?" Because lately, there are a lot of songs where that answer is no.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I think the riffs that they have come up with lately have been pretty generic. That said, I love the last 3 albums.

I know I'll get flak by some for saying this but I think Ed is in part to blame for this. I think his influence as a "guitarist" has come through of late and Stone in many ways has been the odd man out, or perhaps put on the back burner.
    Now, I can't prove any of that but it's just a hunch I've had for a little while now.

Hell, even live you can hear Ed's guitar more than you can hear Stone's a lot of times...and that is not right!

I agree 100% with that... it's why I was so disappointed to hear Stone had shelved his solo album. Maybe we'll get a Brad album sometime soon?
  • Options
    SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    are you saying Stone fell off?

I blame it on Binaural.

Save You
    Green Disease

I'm partial to Riot Act, but these work for me.
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    3 words

ALL OR NONE
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    CalumCalum Posts: 635
    Steveo wrote:

I blame it on Binaural.

Save You
    Green Disease

Im with Steveo :ugeek:
    London Astoria - Dublin - Wembley - Shepherds Bush - London 02
  • Options
    Steveo wrote:

I blame it on Binaural.

Save You
    Green Disease

Ed wrote Green Disease, and I don't like either of those songs. All or None on the other hand...
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,350
    saustin wrote:

LIFE WASTED
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .