Options

2008 Bootleg CD's??

soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
edited April 2009 in The Porch
I must have been asleep at the wheel... when did they start offering actual hard copy cd's for shows again? What is the package/artwork like? I'm thinking of getting that Bonnaroo set given that it seems so highly regarded and they kick ass in a festival setting. I'm wondering if it's worth it to order the hard copy (I listen to CD's way more than digital downloads) and have it sent or just download the FLAC and burn it myself. I'm big on having artwork and stuff like that, but if it's just a crappy sleeve like the Live in NYC that went out with the s/t album, I don't want to bother. If it's a real case like the 00-03 bootlegs, it might be worth it to me.

Also, how do those bootlegs sound? The Gorge box set sounded like absolute shit... no bass or anything, all thin sound, etc. Did the 08 bootlegs sound more like the Gorge or more like 06 or 03 boots?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,153
    pearljam2008boxsets-1-1.jpg

All 2008 bootleg CDs are manufactured on demand by Kufala Recordings, burned on Taiyo Yuden brand CD'rs! They were available to purchase same time the mp3's & flac's were available for sale during the tour; what I remember now.

The 2008 Bootleg Series started! You can download the shows at http://pearljam.com/goods/bootlegs.php. You can also download some neat artwork (banners + stuff) from the bootleg page. Check it out!

pearljam.com about the bootlegs:

"Powered by Internap (INAP), Pearl Jam's digital bootlegs are high-resolution digital files released without DRM (Digital Rights Management) so that fans can burn them to disc, transfer to them to MP3 players, or play them from their hard drives.

In addition to digital bootlegs, Pearl Jam is launching a new physical CD program for this tour. CDs will be manufactured according to customer demand and will ship within three weeks of each show date. CDs will be made-to-order using recycled material. The price for hard copy bootlegs is $16.99/show and will be available exclusively through http://www.pearljam.com.

Both the mobile and new burn-to-order CD options are an extension of Pearl Jam’s official bootleg CD program, which was initially launched on the band’s 2000 world tour in an effort to provide fans with high-quality, affordable bootlegs of their lives shows. Since the program’s inception, over 3.5 million bootlegs have been sold."

pj2008_468x60.jpg
  • Options
    hitmanhitman Posts: 469
    i really like the 2008 recordings... they sound better than some of the past offerings. though i just recently got an "official" bootleg of the Tragically Hip from 1995 with the new album and i found myself wondering "why don't the PJ releases sound this good?" much more bass present on the Hip show, plus the kick drum sounds like you are living inside of it.

and i have listened to the PJ Bonny recording a few times now, very good, a definite highlight from the 13 show set....
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    BH71937 wrote:
    i really like the 2008 recordings... they sound better than some of the past offerings. though i just recently got an "official" bootleg of the Tragically Hip from 1995 with the new album and i found myself wondering "why don't the PJ releases sound this good?" much more bass present on the Hip show, plus the kick drum sounds like you are living inside of it.

and i have listened to the PJ Bonny recording a few times now, very good, a definite highlight from the 13 show set....

Really? I remember thinking the mixing was kind of bad but I haven't listened to an 08 show in months... I will have to revisit my collection.
  • Options
    the first few shows actually sounded kinda bad, but after that they were fine to me. i don't believe in paying for digital music so i bought all of the CDs and the box. the box is a beauty, as you can see from the pic earlier in this thread.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I thought the 2008 shows sounded great as I own the CD's as well. I think Bonnarroo sounded better than the others because it was a big open field with no obstructions for sound to echo off of as opposed to MSG or and amphitheater with walls and stadium style seating.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    soonerdeadsoonerdead Posts: 117
    BH71937 wrote:

does this include "Silver Jet" in the set? My wifey LOVES Tragically Hip!
  • Options
    I bought the Bonnaroo boot for the same reasons (set list, festy setting,etc).

Unfortunately, IMO, is it sounds like the crappiest boot i've ever listend to (and I have hundreds of them). It actually tunred me off buying the rest of the 08 boots.
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I bought the 2008 bootlegs last summer when they went on sale. I like the sound quality. I also bought the cute little box when that went on sale late last year. It is worth the money!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    jecicajecica Posts: 954

Unfortunately, IMO, is it sounds like the crappiest boot i've ever listend to (and I have hundreds of them). It actually tunred me off buying the rest of the 08 boots.

No, the crappiest boot ever is my 1993 Seattle on cassette tape. It sounded crappy in 1993, the tape has deteriorated. You should hear it now :(
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    jecica wrote:

No, the crappiest boot ever is my 1993 Seattle on cassette tape. It sounded crappy in 1993, the tape has deteriorated. You should hear it now :(

I don't believe I have that particular show but I do have many many bootlegs. I have an extra 1992 live cd if you want it. :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    BH71937 wrote:

Way to make me kick myself for not pre-ordering the Hip cd like I thought about doing... although I think I can still get that show via download from their vault.

What past offerings are you thinking of, if you don't mind my asking?
    Post edited by soulsinging on
  • Options

Is it the lack of bass that kills that boot? That's why I couldn't listen to and eventually sold the Gorge box set.
  • Options
    andrewbandrewb Posts: 487
    The Bonnaroo bootleg is far and away the worst recording of all of them.
    PJ
    6/03/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/28/08 8/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 3/13/10 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10 5/21/10 9/3/11 9/4/11 9/2/12 10/18/13 10/19/13 10/25/13 10/22/14 9/26/15 5/1/16 5/2/16 8/5/16 8/7/16 8/20/16 4/7/17

Ed Ved
    8/5/08 6/12/09 6/21/11 6/22/11

Brad
    5/23/12

Soundgarden
    7/9/11 1/23/13 8/1/14

RNDM
    3/7/16
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    The West Palm Beach boot is pretty bad...Tried listening to it again a few days ago and I couldn't get through it. You can barely even hear Mike's solo during Sad!! The audience recording of WPB sounded better. I think Tampa was a little bit better from what I remember but its still not as good as boots from the other years. Because of these two shows, I didn't bother buying boots from the other shows.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570

Is it the lack of bass that kills that boot? That's why I couldn't listen to and eventually sold the Gorge box set.

IMO, if you didn't like the Gorge, you won't like the 08's. Gorge is miles above the 08 bootlegs. I don't understand how they were so great (again, IMO) in 2006, and then got so much worse in 2008. It sounds like they are all playing in separate rooms and have been mixed together (poorly). As a result you can hear every little imperfection in Ed's voice you would usually not notice live or in previous boots, which makes him sound worse than ever.

Oh yeah, and there is a lack of bass.

And just the tones of all the guitars sound worse than in previous years (Mike's guitar tones are TERRIBLE.... but that's just coming from a guitar player).

I could go on and on... I can't believe so many people liked these boots...
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    i sold my gorge to, not lovin th 08 boots like 00 and 03 :|
  • Options
    soonerdead wrote:
    BH71937 wrote:

does this include "Silver Jet" in the set? My wifey LOVES Tragically Hip!

no, the set list is much older than "silver jet" it's mostly day for night, with some fully completely thrown in... and of course the staples "new orleans is sinking" and "little bones" are present!! i actaully had this show on a boot from way back, but of course the new official version sounds much better. seriously, it's great!
  • Options
    BH71937 wrote:

Way to make me kick myself for not pre-ordering the Hip cd like I thought about doing... although I think I can still get that show via download from their vault.

What past offerings are you thinking of, if you don't mind my asking?

i just feel like the 2008 boots have a little more to offer in the mix dept. .. they still aren't perfect, mind you, but i feel like my first wave of official boots (Europe) lacked in the punchy-ness dept., as well as the guitars being a bit buried. it's been a while since i've gone back and listened to them though, maybe they deserve another shot!

i also feel like i remember reading that they were never really mastered... (the first wave of Europe shows) just mixed from the board recordings and pressed to cd. could be way off on that though.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,186
    BH71937 wrote:

another good example is Pete Yorn's 2 disc live set. That is quite possibly the BEST live recording i've heard. everything is mic'd well.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjny12289 wrote:
    The Bonnaroo bootleg is far and away the worst recording of all of them.

:shock:
  • Options
    BH71937 wrote:

another good example is Pete Yorn's 2 disc live set. That is quite possibly the BEST live recording i've heard. everything is mic'd well.

That CD does sound incredible. It's perfect.
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    Okay so sound quality aside, which of the 2008 bootlegs are the best? Which ones should I get?
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    strilo wrote:
    Okay so sound quality aside, which of the 2008 bootlegs are the best? Which ones should I get?

which ones do you got now?

personally, i really like hartford, washington, boston 1 & bonnaroo!
  • Options
    strilostrilo Portland OR Posts: 483
    I have none of the 2008 boots.
    PORTLAND - 18 JUL 98 // TAMPA - 12 AUG 00 // PORTLAND - 02 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 05 NOV 00 // SEATTLE - 09 DEC 02
    BERN, SWITZERLAND - 13 SEP 06 // PORTLAND - 26 SEP 09 // CHICAGO - 19 JUL 13 // PORTLAND - 29 NOV 13
    CHICAGO - 20 AUG 16 // CHICAGO - 22 AUG 16 // PHOENIX - 09 MAY 22 // CHICAGO - 05 SEP 23 // CHICAGO - 07 SEP 23
  • Options
    strilo wrote:
    I have none of the 2008 boots.

if you're just going for one bootleg, go for hartford '08! :)
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    BH71937 wrote:

Really? I remember thinking the mixing was kind of bad but I haven't listened to an 08 show in months... I will have to revisit my collection.
    some are better than others
    the sound quality seemed to get better as they go on
    i bought the 3 i went to

west palm-sucked
    bonnaroo-awesome
    columbia-amazing
  • Options
    I got Tampa and it sounds like shit. The show sucked so that might have something to do with it. The only good points of the show were down and light years and eddie's joke about Jose Cardinale. Worst show I've seen by far.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I got Tampa and it sounds like shit. The show sucked so that might have something to do with it. The only good points of the show were down and light years and eddie's joke about Jose Cardinale. Worst show I've seen by far.

Tampa was a damn good show........sound quality on the boot is not that good (as with almost all of the early 2008 shows), but I still thought the show was spectacular.
  • Options
    AmherstJammerAmherstJammer Amherst, Massachusetts Posts: 1,510
    Tampa was absolutely amazing! The boot as well and I listen to it all of the time! GREAT sounding boot!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,207
    What put me off from buying the 2008 boots are the fact that they are CD-R burnt discs. Yuck!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"