Options

Top 5 songs you don't need to hear again (studio version)

Comments

• Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    its funny how opinions can differ so much....here's mine-

1. evenflow (ten version, no the re-recorded because i worship that one)
    2. ghost
    3. thumbing my way(never could get into this one no matter how hard a tried)
    4. unemployable
    5. sweet lew
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    I'd have to say that the only Pearl Jam song I could really do without would be Last Kiss...the irony being that it's the most popular Pearl Jam single with regard to Top 40 success. Never liked it. Other than that, I could listen to Ed sing the phone book.
    ditto
  • Options
    In no particular order:

1. Elderly Woman
    2. Jeremy
    3. Ghost
    4. Unemployable
    5. Big Wave

I could add a few more from Riot Act & Avocado. Its sad that 9 times out of 10 actually change the radio station if Elderly Woman or Jeremy comes on.
  • Options
    1. Yellow Ledbetter / Last Kiss – This one is a tie. It never fails that the songs that took the least amount of creativity are the ones that people love the most. It bothers me that so many include these songs among the “best” they’ve done.
    2. Daughter – The studio version of this song has been ruined due to its constant inclusion in their live shows. And let’s face it, it’s become just a vehicle to hear what EdVed is going to sing during the outro. [Even Flow could be a contender for the same reason].
    3. Dissident – This is such a blatant attempt to rewrite Alive. Play those tracks over each other and it’s practically the same song/arrangement. And I concur with Sian-of-the-dead, it’s freaking Booooooriiiiiing!
    4. Evacuation – Cameron is no Jack Irons when it comes to songwriting but the boy can drum.
    5. Undone/Gone/Thumbing My Way/I Am Mine/Green Disease/Education – These all wash over me as the same song. EdVed’s social commentary gone horribly awry.

Bonus Track: You – That speaks for itself.
  • Options
    whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    big wave
    evacuation
    in the moonlight
    jeremy
    gone
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    1.evenflow
    2.last kiss
    3.crazy mary
    4.small town
    5.evenflow...still
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    Nats310Nats310 Posts: 38
    I'd have to say that the only Pearl Jam song I could really do without would be Last Kiss...the irony being that it's the most popular Pearl Jam single with regard to Top 40 success. Never liked it. Other than that, I could listen to Ed sing the phone book.

I'm with you on this one. I have a few others that kinda make me cringe -- "I'm Open" being the most glaring in my mind -- but "Last Kiss" (while nice) was never anything but a 10C novelty to me, considering what this band is capable of. My college students joked on a group evaluation that "Last Kiss" is the only good PJ song, because they knew how it annoyed me that people, when hearing I was a PJ fan, would say, "Oh dude, I love Last Kiss." It's not that it's a bad song, it's just so average. Now, "I'm Open" -- ugh. I really try to see its poetry, but I just find it pretentious.

(As you can imagine, I had a helluva time explaining why my kids were rambling on about Pearl Jam on a writing seminar eval. They thought it was hilarous, but my old fogey department head didn't quite see it that way. Quite rightly, my teaching supervisors were worried that PJ was taking up too much class time. I didn't tell them that for the whole semester, my class had made it their daily mission to try and guess my favorite PJ song. God, I loved that group. . . )
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Nats310 wrote:
    My college students joked on a group evaluation that "Last Kiss" is the only good PJ song, because they knew how it annoyed me that people, when hearing I was a PJ fan, would say, "Oh dude, I love Last Kiss." It's not that it's a bad song, it's just so average. Now, "I'm Open" -- ugh. I really try to see its poetry, but I just find it pretentious.

(As you can imagine, I had a helluva time explaining why my kids were rambling on about Pearl Jam on a writing seminar eval. They thought it was hilarous, but my old fogey department head didn't quite see it that way. Quite rightly, my teaching supervisors were worried that PJ was taking up too much class time. I didn't tell them that for the whole semester, my class had made it their daily mission to try and guess my favorite PJ song. God, I loved that group. . . )

I don't know what class you taught, but it sounds like I would've enjoyed it! :D
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    5. Undone/Gone/Thumbing My Way/I Am Mine/Green Disease/Education – These all wash over me as the same song. EdVed’s social commentary gone horribly awry.

+1 except for Thumbing My Way. The rest of those are remarkably similar to me as well.
    Bonus Track: You – That speaks for itself.

Probably Leatherman then too, huh?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    1 - Evacuation - It's THE POOREST song in the PJ catalogue IMO.
    2 - In The Moonlight - This song goes NOWHERE.

You're retarded. Both of those songs are brilliant and they only "go nowhere" if you have poor comprehension.

That's mature. It's an opinion. Take it easy.

Indifference71 - Thank you.

Evacuation Rules - Yes, I believe that is my opinion. Exactly the same way that it's MY OPINION that people who randomly call someone 'retarded' for not agreeing on a SONG are actually infact, prize pricks. Check out the lists bud... The general concensus is that Evacuation FAR from 'rules' ;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    LEBERT19LEBERT19 Posts: 50
    Good question...

1. Last Kiss - easily
    2. Sweet Lew - there's a reason this one is on Lost Dogs and nothing else
    3. Evenflow - seattle radio stations have somewhat ruined this for me, even now, 18 years later it's on every hour
    4. Bugs - why?
    5. 1/2 full - its ok live, but the studio version does nothing for me
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    I just want to say that Evacuation and Parachutes are both in my top ten favorite PJ songs of all time. And I don't care what anybody says!!
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    Number 1 (by a country, it's a one horse race) : Parachutes
    Number 2: Thumbing My Way
    Number 3: Low Light
    Number 4: Pilate (can't believe this hasn't got a mention yet?!?!?)
    Number 5: Gone
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Im going to list my FIVE from songs released to radio, in no particular order...

1. Dissident
    2. Glorified G
    3. Who You Are
    4. Nothing As It Seems
    5. Off He Goes
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    FY51755 wrote:
    5. Off He Goes

This is exactly the reason I wasn't going to open this thread up... and it's the same reason I'm going to leave right after I post this...

People have varying opinions of songs... some songs are easier to dislike then others and it's understandable why people dislike them... then I see something like this and it makes me totally scratch my head... Off He Goes? Really? Wow.

Have fun in here, this thread surely is not for me.
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    5 studio songs i dont want to listen to again.

5) Parachutes
    4) Love Boat Captain
    3) Grievance
    2) Eldery Woman
    1) Thumbing My Way
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    Big Wave (yikes)
    Last Kiss (Cringe)
    Dissident (Just cant come around to it)
    I'm Open (huh?)
    Army Reserve (Just don't feel this one, they are trying to hard here and it doesnt work)

Its funny to see evenflow listed on so many lists...After ten redux, I have had evenflow on non stop repeat.
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    I can just list 2 off the top of my head...

1. Daughter
    2. Better Man

Both for no other reason than it was death by radio. Live, I love hearing these songs... it saved them for me but I still don't listen to the studio versions... I feel like I'm back in the 90s being throttled over the head with them when there were so many other PJ songs I loved so much more.

Others would be the fillers on Vitalogy etc, as mentioned by several others... I didn't bother importing songs like Bugs or heyfoxymop... into iTunes.
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,094
    FY51755 wrote:
    5. Off He Goes

This is exactly the reason I wasn't going to open this thread up... and it's the same reason I'm going to leave right after I post this...

People have varying opinions of songs... some songs are easier to dislike then others and it's understandable why people dislike them... then I see something like this and it makes me totally scratch my head... Off He Goes? Really? Wow.

Ha Ha, I was thinking the same - i wasn't gonna comment on other people's opinions, but Off He Goes and NOTHING AS IT SEEMS!!! Wow those are great songs, IMO :D - think I'll leave now too....
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    I just want to say that Evacuation and Parachutes are both in my top ten favorite PJ songs of all time. And I don't care what anybody says!!

all I'm going to say is you need one of these :mrgreen:
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,321
    Not counting Lost Dogs that should have stayed lost (Sweet Lew, In The Moonlight, Black , Red, Yellow etc)

1. Parachutes
    2. Come Back
    3. Evacuation
    4. Glorified G
    5. Push Me Pull Me
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    CraneCrane Posts: 192
    1. Dissident: It's like a ten song that mistakingly got placed on Vs. Not that I dislike Ten, but the lead on this is very clichéd
    2. Comatose: Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!
    3. Im Open: Nice the first time round, gets old after that
    4. Last Kiss: Only enjoy it live
    5. Evacuation: Why does lead play the same as the melody......drives me mad
    "The mind is a wonderfull thing to be altered"

The Point, Dublin 2006
    Bercy, Paris September 11, 2006
    ISS Dome, Dusseldorf, 2007
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    really dont get the hating of dissident
    im not coming back here
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 756
    1. World Wide Suicide
    2. Last Kiss
    3. Off He Goes
    4. Black
    5. Jeremy
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    excellent thread heavyhands, whole lotta work gone in to tallying up all the votes, well done man!!!!!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    CrookedTomCrookedTom Posts: 252
    Solat13 wrote:
    1. Come Back
    2. Get Right
    3. Bu$hleaguer
    4. Dissident
    5. All Night

Though Get Right is a throwaway, I think it rocks quite nicely, not nearly as bad as Help Help on Riot Act
    Agree with you on All Night, horrible song. Never liked it on Lost Dogs, and couldn't believe the band started playing it live. I thought Black Red Yellow or Happy When I'm Crying were far more worthy of revisiting.
  • Options
    pjamfan91 wrote:
    excellent thread heavyhands, whole lotta work gone in to tallying up all the votes, well done man!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks :) I think some people got the impression this was about hating, but that's not what it was meant to be at all.

I've viewed numerous threads where people talk about their favorites and always wondered what the percentages looked like (how evenly or unevenly spread they were across the different eras/albums/styles of song, etc...). I thought I'd ask the opposite question since most people seem hesitant to say anything that could be perceived as negative about the band we all love, and try out a more scientific approach to figuring out the tastes of this community.

The bottom line is everyone has their own preferences/tastes/etc.. and everyone's opinion is rooted in some form of validity whether or not they present it reasonably or not. Except jerks. I just won't respond to them. ;)
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    1. Parachutes.
    2. Yellow Ledbetter. I don't need to hear this live either.
    3. The Vitalogy nonsense.
    4. Come Back. Kick this, #1 and maybe Army Reserve off Avocado for me.
    5. Wishlist.

Actually, there are a lot more (several from Lost Dogs) than I expected. I think it's why Vs. will always be my favorite. I don't feel there's any filler in there. I guess I feel that way about Ten too, but Vs. still wins the day.
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    - Come back
    - Big Waves
    - Glorifiel G
    - Get Right
    - Unemployable
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    FY51755 wrote:
    5. Off He Goes

Ha Ha, I was thinking the same - i wasn't gonna comment on other people's opinions, but Off He Goes and NOTHING AS IT SEEMS!!! Wow those are great songs, IMO :D - think I'll leave now too....

Went back to listen to these two to make sure I didn't miss something...and I didn't...TOP 5 radio singles I don't need to hear again :) If Jeremy can be put on one's list than ANYTHING is possible.