Even Flow

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited January 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Do you guys play Even Flow in open D tuning or Eb tuning?

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I usually just use drop-D, and modify the chords to fit that... the main riff only works for me if the 6-string is tuned to "D".
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I always have played it in Drop D with the exception of one time, in 2004, when I played it in Open D.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    im learning to play the lead atm

main riff isn't too hard but the succession of notes played after it sometimes can be hard to do fast enough and on time

still haven't got to the solo yet

really funky though

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Cool. Thanks guys. The reason I ask is because I have the Hal Leonard TEN tab book and it says to play it in Eb tuning. So I originally tried it in Eb and it sounded kind of off and then I checked the giventowail website and they have it tabbed out in open D tuning and it sounds much better. It's not very often that the Hal Leonard tab books are not accurate.
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    On the Ten cd it is in Eb due to a speed and tempo change post-production. How it was recorded is unbeknownst to me, but in a live setting, Stone is tuned to Open D tuning.

I play in the PJ tribute band No Code, and depending how many guitars I bring with me to a show (usually 2-3, sometimes as many as 6)....I'd play it in Drop D and be able to get by. I've recently in the past 6 months brought a guitar devoted to Open D (Go is another song in Open D for instance) and it sounds light years better, especially with the little riffage stone plays during the chorus. I've spent lots of time devoted to trying to decipher exactly what Stone plays and noticed that just playing the succession of (barre chord) 12---8---12---10 during Even Flow was just not right, and figured out exactly what Stone plays, and in my ears it sounds light years better, but YMMV and to each his own!

-Seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
    Wow, Guitarhero! I didn't know GO was in Open D, I just thought Oceans and NAIS where. (I knew Evenflow was but I just played in Drop D). Is Leash also in Open D? I've heard that is(I play it in standard or Drop D), and Brain of J (but I play that in standard, too).
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    NAIS is in Open D?? Didn't know that. I play it in standard and it always seemed to work just fine. I think I might have to give Open D another try... They seem to use it quite often. Does anyone know what else is in Open D? So far we have Go, Even Flow, Oceans, NAIS and Brain of J.
    I would suspect Present Tense could be in Open D too. Haven't tried it though. But as this is primarily a Mike song, i suppose at least the main riff might still be in Drop D. Or am I wrong in the assumption, that Open D is almost exclusive to Stone's parts?
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    I play Present tense in Dropped D but that bridge bit in the song has some funky finger positions so it wouldnt suprise me if it was in fact in Open D?
    I play Present Tense in Drop D, at well.
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    I play it in standard or Drop D. Mainly b/c I'm too lazy to tune to Open D
  • TriumphantAngelTriumphantAngel Posts: 1,760
    Wow, Guitarhero! I didn't know GO was in Open D, I just thought Oceans and NAIS where. (I knew Evenflow was but I just played in Drop D). Is Leash also in Open D? I've heard that is(I play it in standard or Drop D), and Brain of J (but I play that in standard, too).
    Yar go is in Open D. I play Leash in Drop D.
  • solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 207
    Played in Drop D... here's my old's band version of this great song.

http://home.comcast.net/~cmcasas/02%20Even%20Flow.wma
  • cubiccubic Posts: 1

dont know about leash.. but present tense is open d
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    cubic wrote:

dont know about leash.. but present tense is open d

yup..but it sounds pretty nice in Drop D as well!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • i leave that song Mike play it..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    im pretty sure present tense and leash are both in dropped D and NOT open D....

brain of J is open D

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99