Funny funny

xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
edited April 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
I went to see how much I could get for my AD-9 Analog delay. The pawn shop said $25. After getting a really good laugh, guitar center said $50. Now, it's on craigslist for 95.
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    They obviously thought they had a shot at another one of those people who don't know their equipment... I think I wouldn't have even been able to laugh at the pawn shop guy.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    The guy said "We try to buy stuff for 1/6 the retail price..." and I did everything I could to keep from laughing in the guy's face...
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Like it or not, that's how pawn shops work. Hell, that's how a great many musical instrument shops work. You have to buy used gear waaaaay low, so you can afford to sit on it if it doesn't sell for months, or worse yet, if it doesn't work correctly. If you think you can buy something for $80 and sell it for $90 and make a profit, go for it. You'll never pay the bills to keep a shop door open or the lights on.

If you want to sell used gear for a fair market value, then it's almost always eBay, especially pedals since they're easy/cheap to ship. Every time I've sold something typical on eBay, I feel I've gotten what it was worth. If you wanna check the market before selling, then sign up to watch a few of the same item sell on eBay, and see the final sale prices. Make sure you're watching used gear, because a lot of dealers are selling new equipment on the Bay.

One last tip: use a low start, even $1, a regular 7-day auction, and no reserve, and don't bother with Buy-It-Now. It will sell, even if it means waiting for 5 people to snipe at it at the last minute, and it will generate a lot more interest than the guy who has an $85 reserve price on a $90 item. You might sell for $95, and he might not sell at all.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Never tried to sell anything to a pawn shop, but if that's how it works... Well, thank God for eBay! I wonder how these pawn shop guys manage to stay in business these days...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Never tried to sell anything to a pawn shop, but if that's how it works... Well, thank God for eBay! I wonder how these pawn shop guys manage to stay in business these days...

I would imagine it's easy as pie these days. I would say there are quite a few people over the age of 40 that don't really do the ebay or craigslist thing. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
    There's definitely a lot to be said for holding something in your own hands before you buy it. I'd say older folks are less likely to feel comfortable with buying something from an anonymous seller on eBay, but I've known lots of 20-somethings with similar hangups.

I think the bigger problem is with the people who SELL used gear... Not knowing a fair-market price for used equipment, not being comfortable with the idea of an auction ("what if it sells for five dollars?"), not knowing how to ship items (like speaker cabs, guitars with fragile necks, etc). I've helped a few people buy stuff on the 'Bay, but I've had to spend a LOT more time helping prospective sellers. And those are the real musicians... I can't imagine a mom trying to sell the Strat her 12-year-old demanded, and never learned to play.
    I think you guys are totally right. But on the other hand I can't really see why people would be willing to get far less money selling stuff to pawn shops than selling it on eBay. Despite all the problems an online sale can cause you. Still I didn't really think of the people who don't do it on principle...
    As for the buyers I see your point. Of course your security as a buyer is far higher if you buy stuff in person. I would never buy a guitar on eBay unless there was a chance to try it out before bidding. At least not until the point in my life where I didn't have to care about a few hundred bucks. But I seriously doubt that day will ever come.
    And I imagine the market for really expensive and vintage equipment is a different thing alltogeter.
    Ebay is where I've gotten most of my effects, my main amp, and a few guitars. I love it. I just can't sell anything on it because I don't know the shipping price or how to ship. It's a major downer.
    If you've got the original box that it came in, just pack the pedal in the box, then put the whole works in a padded manila envelopds (you can buy them at the post office) and mail it in that. Mail it US Postal 1st Class Mail, which should only be $6 or so... for a pedal, I'd charge $10 flat-rate to cover the envelope and postage. If they want Priority mail, I'd bump that to $15.

If you don't have the original box, then you need to find or buy a box to ship it in... you can buy boxes at US Post Offices, or FedEx/Kinko's.
    Thank you! I'll try it if Craigslist doesn't work. Seems like all I'm getting are international spammers.
  • The guy said "We try to buy stuff for 1/6 the retail price..." and I did everything I could to keep from laughing in the guy's face...

GC is the worst, I brought in a Custom Shop Strat in to see about trade-in value and the guys asked me if it was made in Mexico...I told him to put my guitar down and when he asked me what the problem was, I said that the fact that he was a fucking jerk-off was the problem. :shock:
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    The guy said "We try to buy stuff for 1/6 the retail price..." and I did everything I could to keep from laughing in the guy's face...

GC is the worst, I brought in a Custom Shop Strat in to see about trade-in value and the guys asked me if it was made in Mexico...I told him to put my guitar down and when he asked me what the problem was, I said that the fact that he was a fucking jerk-off was the problem. :shock:
    :D nice!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com