Options

Just Wondering

shepherdshepherd Posts: 2
edited April 2009 in The Porch
I am new here. I don't really know how the whole blog thing works, but I saw the ticket prices of the latest Eddie Vedder solo tour and I have to say I am more than a little disgusted. $170 bucks for a pair of tickets? What happened to all the stuff against Ticketmaster? About keeping the price of tickets down for the fans? I have everything these guys have ever put out. I have been a fan since the beginning and maybe I'm a little naive, but I thought this band was different than all the other groups who were just out to make a quick buck. The bands who want to make money and could care less about the people who listen to their music. I don't get it. I thought this group was fighting to keep their prices down, so that the people who really love their music, really truly love their music, could afford to come and see them play. Are they trying to be like the Rolling Stones, Elton John, who have made their mark and now it's time to cash in? Eddie Vedder is the guy who wrote/sang "Driftin, Driftin, Driftin away...I bought myself a mansion and I gave it away." Do you believe any of this or is it just fodder for a song? I may not be like most people, but I do tend to hold people to a very high standard and when they say something, I tend to believe them. This band in particular. I have gotten shear joy from listening to this band for many years, but right now I don't think I could listen to anything they have written, because I am so disappointed in them. If you guys are out to just cash in on your "beloved" fans, then you may have just lost one. It may not matter to you or in the whole grand scheme of things, but to me it will be a huge loss. Thanks for listening, reading, what have you.

Sincerely,
Shepherd
Fan Since '92
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 589
    edited April 2009
    Well, I'm guessing that because these shows are played in small theatres the ticket prices have to be what they are. Eddie can't be blamed for making a little money on a month-long tour, can he? Well, booking the theatres has to cost $$$... paying for the opening act and his crew costs $$$... Travelling to these shows costs $$$... Eddie has to pay his crew $$$. By the time all the expenses are tallied up, I'm guessing the ticket prices are quite reasonable. And nobody is holding a gun to your head to buy the tickets, posters, merchandise, etc.

I'm guessing that when the full band hits the US for their next big stadium/amphitheatre tour, we'll probably see a pair of Ten Club tickets going for $120 - $150 ($60 - $75 per ticket)... that's not too shabby. About what I paid for Metallica a couple months ago.
    Post edited by wnh1977 on
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    I don't necessarily agree with you but some people certainly do.

Even if Ed or anyone in Pearl Jam is doing anything for money, I think they deserve the chance to. They have probably given away and/or raised more money than most bands have even made. They have consistently and generously given of their time, name and talent. They are role models and one of the most respected bands in the industry.

Most of them (all except Jeff) have children and families. A lot of people are dependent on them for a living. All of the 10 club, the road crew, management and I am sure a lot of others.

Then again, it could be artists trying to make sure they make their art available to anyone who wants to see and hear it.

http://www.my2cents.com
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    wnh1977 wrote:
    Well, I'm guessing that because these shows are played in small theatres the ticket prices have to be what they are. Eddie can't be blamed for making a little money on a month-long tour, can he? Well, booking the theatres has to cost $$$... paying for the opening act and his crew costs $$$... Travelling to these shows costs $$$... Eddie has to pay his crew $$$. By the time all the expenses are tallied up, I'm guessing the ticket prices are quite reasonable. And nobody is holding a gun to your head to buy the tickets, posters, merchandise, etc.

I'm guessing that when the full band hits the US for their next big stadium/amphitheatre tour, we'll probably see a pair of Ten Club tickets going for $120 - $150 ($60 - $75 per ticket)... that's not too shabby. About what I paid for Metallica a couple months ago.
    I think the $170 for EV is a bit high but whatever doesn't matter he ain't comin anywhere near here.

I will gladly pay up $120-$150 for Pearl Jam 10c tix.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    58823005882300 Posts: 813
    wnh1977 wrote:

I agree with you. All of the EV shows have been in the same ballpark and I bet the venues cost a ton to rent out.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Mike and Stone can book $20 shows. But they aren't Ed. Ed is special.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    jeffbr wrote:
    That Flight To Mars show is only 20 bucks, suchha good deal!
    Wish I could go..... :cry:
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    i got idi got id Posts: 862
    You need to reason out the higher ticket costs. Let's assume each place holds 2,000 people at $80/ticket. That's a total revenue of $160,000 as opposed to a large ampitheater of 20,000 at $60/ticket which is about 1.2million in revenue. Granted the operation cost of the ampitheater is significantly higher, but I doubt Ed is taking home much more money for his solo shows that he would for a normal PJ gig...
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    jeffbr wrote:

I agree....Plus one or Two local shows is a far cry from a multi city tour. Ed has carved a niche as a popular singer songwriter in his own right, so he can command enough to make the tour worthwhile and not a money losing proposition.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    personally, i believe the main reason pearl jam was like that back in the day was because they were young and not making money and the majority of their fans were teens/20 year olds who didn't have money either. now that (they think and have said that) their fan base is in their 30s and 40s they can afford to spend more money on tickets. i dont think they make a conscious effort to gouge people, i think its more like they think their fan base isn't full of poor teens who couldn't afford anything and are now grown people, hopefully with careers instead of working at the 7/11 getting minimum wage. i've read interviews with them talking about their older fanbase and thats the kind of perception i get from them.
    add the fact that the economy is shit and the fact that things cost more etc etc etc... well then there you go.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    jeffbr wrote:

I agree....Plus one or Two local shows is a far cry from a multi city tour. Ed has carved a niche as a popular singer songwriter in his own right, so he can command enough to make the tour worthwhile and not a money losing proposition.

I was half tough-in-cheek, and half absolutely serious. Ed can command the ticket prices, and he'll sell out the shows without any trouble. I was able to see him Vancouver, and it really was a great night. And you're right, it does take money to tour and play smaller venues, so there are scale issues.

On the other hand, I really love being in Seattle and seeing Mike or Stone play. At this point I have much more fun at a Flight to Mars show, or a Shadow Hendrix tribute, or a Brad show. Just some local guys up on stage in in a club doing what they love. The crowd being loud, drinking beers, and having a great time.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08