Better to pay in whole or finance a car?

2»

Comments

• Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    How about the handling? I drove a rental Versa, and it was nice and "zippy." Easy handling, fast, etc. I imagined the Fit would be similar in that respect.
    Handling is good for a car of this class. It has a nice amount of acceleration for general city and highway driving. The only time you really notice that the engine is tiny is when you have it loaded with cargo and it just feels heavier with less acceleration.
    Also, have you used the back seats in all of their configurations? How easy/hard are they to maneuver? Is the trunk space alone enough to do a full week's grocery trip, or do you need to use the backseat too? It seems like it would be a good car if you have a kid (which we're planning in the near future), but if I have to fold a seat down just to get groceries home, I'm not so sure it makes that much sense, you know?
    The seat configurations are super easy to use. Putting the back seats up so you have a flat floor is as simple as lightly pulling them up (no buttons). Putting the back seats down is just a single switch next to the headrest. There is easily enough trunk space for me and my wife to get a week's worth of groceries with the back seats up. And if you had a lot more than we do, the rear seats are a 60/40 split so you could leave one back seat up with a car seat in it and fold the other side and have more flat space for groceries.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Flagg wrote:

They are desparte which is why if someone were to offer them all the money up front they would be happier to take it rather than them not getting it all until 5 years from now since the company might not even be around for 5 years.

Another good way to save money either was is to go and buy at the end of the month. That is usually when dealerships monthly bills are due, and sales numbers get added up so they are more motivated to make a sale and generate cash. Even better if you can go at the end of the calander year.

This is true. A lot of people I know thing this is some sort of old wive's tale or something but last year I bought my MINI. For a long time they would not negotiate and tell me they sell at MSRP and have no need to bargain. Come 12/26, they made a deal.

Thats how those dealers are. I was looking to get a used Mini S and they would not go down in price the first time, then the second time they went down, but barely. They say they are "priced to sell".

Me and my dad just ended up buying my MINI S from a private seller.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    As someone in the car business for a lot of years...many of the posts in this thread gave me a good :lol:
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    i should have my car paid in full sometime around summer time this year.

can't wait.
    www.myspace.com
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    DS1119 wrote:
    As someone in the car business for a lot of years...many of the posts in this thread gave me a good :lol:

I've had many cars. I'm having a good :lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

can't wait.
    The best.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    81 wrote:

can't wait.
    The best.

been doubling up payments for the last year
    and the wife's car has been paid for....but she's gonna need a new one soon. so i guess it's a wash :x
    www.myspace.com
    STAYSEA wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I've had many cars. I'm having a good :lol:

Nothing like reading about bad car buying advice and automobile sales myths. :lol:
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    It all depends -

check out your finance options and shop around for the best rates.

how much "money" are you taking out of your savings - will you ( ever ) be able to save that much $$ again.
    if you have cash in your savings acct my thought is to keep it - you can always pay off your car loan at any time.

good luck to you and keep us posted on what you decide.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    DS1119 wrote:

I wonder what he decided, and what he ignored. (Maybe he's still waiting for the right answer)
    rollings wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

I wonder what he decided, and what he ignored. (Maybe he's still waiting for the right answer)

I certainly hope not. :lol:
  • i was wonder where the OP is??

long time to see around
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    i prefer to finance it, not make payments and keep it hiden in the garage. can't repo it from a closed garage. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    A lot of dealers have a 0% for 60 months thing going on right now. That is if you qualify.

Which if you do, it would defiantly be worth it!

You take a big, big, big hit in depreciation with the 0% financing.

If you can afford it, pay cash for a vehicle that is a couple of year old. There is no doubt that is the cheapest way to purchase.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    know1 wrote:
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    A lot of dealers have a 0% for 60 months thing going on right now. That is if you qualify.

Which if you do, it would defiantly be worth it!

You take a big, big, big hit in depreciation with the 0% financing.

If you can afford it, pay cash for a vehicle that is a couple of year old. There is no doubt that is the cheapest way to purchase.

i like new.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i prefer to finance it, not make payments and keep it hiden in the garage. can't repo it from a closed garage. :mrgreen:

Funny repo story. I was very young and even more brash when I first started selling cars. I had a customer with me and we were doing the credit app. The customer tells me he had a "voluntary repossession" and since it was voluntary it shouldn't affect his credit too badly. We went back and forth about it a little while that a repo is still a repo (and it is) and he finally asks me "well then how do banks view a voluntary repo". I thought I was being funny when I told him "well the bank now not only sees you can't pay for your car but you're too stupid to run".

I got a talking to from management that day. :lol:
    i'll just go ahead and tell you how i do it.

i research a bunch online...come up with a number i am ok with it, and offer less than that, knowing you gotta play that game.

if i finance, it's in place before i go in, and i offer them a chance to beat it after agreeing on a price. if they ask if i want to finance during the price game, i say maybe.

as far as if you should finance it all, a portion, or none....it's really a complex answer. if you believe you can get a higher rate of return investing the money (net taxes), than finance it all and invest your cash. if you don't think you can beat the intrest rate in the market, pay for it in cash. if you don't wanna demolish your savings or don't have the cash, and don't think you can beat the intrest rate in the market....maybe a portion is for you.

DS, feel to laugh at my reply.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Funny repo story. I was very young and even more brash when I first started selling cars. I had a customer with me and we were doing the credit app. The customer tells me he had a "voluntary repossession" and since it was voluntary it shouldn't affect his credit too badly. We went back and forth about it a little while that a repo is still a repo (and it is) and he finally asks me "well then how do banks view a voluntary repo". I thought I was being funny when I told him "well the bank now not only sees you can't pay for your car but you're too stupid to run".

I got a talking to from management that day. :lol:

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i research a bunch online...come up with a number i am ok with it, and offer less than that, knowing you gotta play that game.

if i finance, it's in place before i go in, and i offer them a chance to beat it after agreeing on a price. if they ask if i want to finance during the price game, i say maybe.

as far as if you should finance it all, a portion, or none....it's really a complex answer. if you believe you can get a higher rate of return investing the money (net taxes), than finance it all and invest your cash. if you don't think you can beat the intrest rate in the market, pay for it in cash. if you don't wanna demolish your savings or don't have the cash, and don't think you can beat the intrest rate in the market....maybe a portion is for you.

A lot of people forget about taking out a home equity loan for a car.
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i'm not a big fan of that option, although the intrest is potentialy deductable.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

i'm not a big fan of that option, although the intrest is potentialy deductable.

The deduction is the big draw.
    deduction is the only draw.

i am not looking forward to having to buy a new ride in a few years or the repairs that come with the old ride.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i am not looking forward to having to buy a new ride in a few years or the repairs that come with the old ride.

At least you can't have your car repo'ed with a home equity. Might lose your house but you'll have a sweet ride. :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

At least you can't have your car repo'ed with a home equity. Might lose your house but you'll have a sweet ride. :lol:

exatly why i'm not a big fan of home equity car purchases.

i also drive the ride that i have because of the cost. amazes me how many people dump 40K into a car.

i know i've told this story before, but...my old neighbors were foreclosed on a few years back. i did some digging online...they refinanced their house 4 or 5 times while cashing out 100K in equity. they also had two mercedes in the garage. :nono: :fp: :lol: now i don't obviously know all the details....but it sure smelled fishy.

i'll go ahead and continue to pay down the house, while keeping my relatively inexpenive rides
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    81 wrote:

exatly why i'm not a big fan of home equity car purchases.

i also drive the ride that i have because of the cost. amazes me how many people dump 40K into a car.

i know i've told this story before, but...my old neighbors were foreclosed on a few years back. i did some digging online...they refinanced their house 4 or 5 times while cashing out 100K in equity. they also had two mercedes in the garage. :nono: :fp: :lol: now i don't obviously know all the details....but it sure smelled fishy.

i'll go ahead and continue to pay down the house, while keeping my relatively inexpenive rides

Did they pack their shit in the Mercedes when they were booted? :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    Did they pack their shit in the Mercedes when they were booted? :lol:

so...one saterday morning i'm laying in bed, and the women is like the neighbors are moving. i sort of scoffed at it, since there was never a for sale sign put up. so i get up, look out, and there is a uhaul in teh driveway and they are packing it up.

i was sort of glad. she was a middle aged woman, with a body that was lacking...and every now and then she would lay out and tan. :puke: i'd avoid mowing the yard during those times.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg