Options

The MSG BackUp Singers.......

dr teethdr teeth Posts: 115
edited June 2008 in The Porch
are they with them for the rest of the tour? just checked out the songs they were used in on youtube and i loved them!

hope they're here for the remainder......i'll be at all of them!
jeter drinks wine coolers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    lol i found one of them on myspace.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    nothing for nothing

with all due respect

i had a hard time even hearing eddie over the crowd and sea of people at msg.

perhaps the backup singers will be better heard on the bootlegs- i couldnt hear them at all whatsoever where I was situated.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    nothing for nothing

with all due respect

perhaps the backup singers will be better heard on the bootlegs- i couldnt hear them at all whatsoever where I was situated.
    ditto
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    nothing for nothing

with all due respect

Really? They were fuckin' loud ... especially on All Nite and the "human devices" bit of WMA.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,420
    I heard them fine.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    corduroy10corduroy10 Posts: 199
    Seriously, what's wrong with Stone? He does an OK job on the "Haleluia" and the "can't find a better man" part at the end of betterman.

Stone is the MAN, and the original back-up singer! :D
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • Options
    Is anyone else familiar with Jump the Shark? I think a new entry is deserved for PJ...and this is after we let the Boom thing just go on by us.
    If it weren't for my horse, I never would have spent that year in college.
  • Options
    Is anyone else familiar with Jump the Shark? I think a new entry is deserved for PJ...and this is after we let the Boom thing just go on by us.

Well one of the singer's name WAS Fonzie.

No shit.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    dr teeth wrote:
    are they with them for the rest of the tour? just checked out the songs they were used in on youtube and i loved them!

hope they're here for the remainder......i'll be at all of them!

they were with them in DC as well.
    Bathgate66 wrote:

I could hear them for the most part, but I also look forward to hearing them on the boots.

dude, go home.

Well one of the singer's name WAS Fonzie.

No shit.

and the Fonz was having a heck of a time up there. AAAAAAYYYYYYYY
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    matt770matt770 Posts: 134

Awesome. Better seats for me. Be sure to tell as many people as possible that they jumped the shark.
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    they were not in dc

they were with them in DC as well.

I could hear them for the most part, but I also look forward to hearing them on the boots.

dude, go home.

and the Fonz was having a heck of a time up there. AAAAAAYYYYYYYY
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    i couldn't hear them at all either, but i heard stone's backup vocals fine
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435

Ha ha, my thoughts exactly. I mean it's cool if it's just a one time thing. For years I used to make jokes about that's the #1 sign when a band starts to suck a little, is when they add extra band members for live concerts. Then PJ added Boom and I stopped making that joke...cause well Boom was pretty cool and the Riot Act stuff had a lot of that.

But backup singers...a little hard to take 4 extra band members on stage.

No horn section!!!! (which was a JOKE at MSG 2003 when Ed was talking about adding members, backing singers, horn section, "we'll just keep on going" he was joking)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    they were not in dc

oh yeah. I guess I was thinking of MSG 1. the whole week was a long, strange trip.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Ha ha, my thoughts exactly. I mean it's cool if it's just a one time thing. For years I used to make jokes about that's the #1 sign when a band starts to suck a little, is when they add extra band members for live concerts. Then PJ added Boom and I stopped making that joke...cause well Boom was pretty cool and the Riot Act stuff had a lot of that.

No horn section!!!! (which was a JOKE at MSG 2003 when Ed was talking about adding members, backing singers, horn section, "we'll just keep on going" he was joking)

dude, that is so funny, i agree!!!! Last night, my buddy turned to me and said, man i hope this is a one time thing, its starting to feel like the stones!
    I really liked All night and WMA, but for me, I kinda prefer the 1996 Who you are then this newer version (although the west palm '08 is without backup singers) . . .
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • Options

They were just some cool local kids. They were only used on like three songs. It really isn't nearly as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

But, of course, this being a message board, we have to make mountains out of mole hills.
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    They were just some cool local kids. They were only used on like three songs. It really isn't nearly as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

But, of course, this being a message board, we have to make mountains out of mole hills.

i thought someone on this board said they were respected singers?

and you're absolutely right! they def. didnt "jump the shark" its just an experiment, that's what ed said when he first brought them out, and they just sing a few parts of songs, its not like theyre there the whole time or anything. people really do blow things out of proportion on this board.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    You should have saw the rush to the bathroom/beer lines during all night on msg 2. I'd say that the consensus of those people with me in the lines did not want back up singers any more.
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,422
    cool local kids?

used in 3 songs?

umm they were like 40

they sang harmonies in 3 songs

I liked that ed tried to salsa dance in front of them

not a big deal but something nice and diff

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    I lovd it! Fonzie was the man! Nice accent. If they became a boom like addition I'd be surprised!
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    I doubt it would be regular thing. They were a cool little side experiment, and that's about all I'd expect them to be. I thought they did add to All Night and WMA at the end, but as someone else said, you couldn't hear them that well otherwise.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I thought that was cool.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    there are a couple pics of them from MSG 1 in the photos section of PJ.com:

http://www.pearljam.com/tour/index-photos.php
    Sam
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I thought it was a novel idea for a few songs but I really couldn't hear them......and they just looked stupid trying to dance while they were singing TO SONGS THAT ROCK! eh..........oh well! I still can't believe I was even at those shows!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    I heard them fine both nights and thought they were very good.

Just like Boom, on certain songs they add depth to the sound.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...