drum kit advice?

Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Posts: 1,065
edited April 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi Guys, need some advice. been thinking about learning the drums. basically, any recommendations what kit to begin with? im thinking perhaps an electronic kit as an actual drum kit will be too loud for where I live. just from a quick lookaround Alesis DM5 Pro Kit seems alright. also, headphones work, but could it be connected to my guitar amp and play through that if i wanted? anyway, just a thought for now, any advice welcome but what do you think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I know that Yamaha and Roland make much better electronic drumkits, although you always pay for the high-quality pieces. Maybe someone else here has better experience with those?

As for speakers, your guitar amp would technically work, although it wouldn't sound that great. I know several manufacturers make electronic drumkit amps, but they are almost always either a modified keyboard amp, or a modified set of computer speakers. Really, if you wanted something besides headphones, I'd look at a cheap set of computer speakers. Loud enough that you can hear, but not so loud you'll blast any neighbors or roommates.

One tip: make sure the drum module on the electronic drums (the head unit, or "brain") has an auxiliary input, so you can plug in an iPod or Discman or something, so you can play along to other music. Playing drums all by themselves will get old after a while; having something to jam with will make it a lot more fun.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Yeah iam thinking the same, i live in halls of residence for uni and will be living in a house in August.
  • ME91059ME91059 Posts: 49
    I would definitely go Roland. Either the TD3 or TD6 for an entry level and depending on your budget. The kit sounds are realistic and you can add bit and pieces as you wish.

Roland sound awesome through an amp or a good set of isolation headphones.

You can also upgrade the brain if you want more drum sounds. Given the Roland drums can plug staight into an 8 track, great for recording as well.

Not sure about the other ones though one think I love about the Roland is that you can plug your iPod into the back to play along with the songs on your iPod.
  • I just purchased the Roland TD-9. I must say this thing is incredible. It does have some advanced user functions to it. As far as an amp, I would recommend playing through a bass amp vs. a guitar amp.

HH
    www.itradepj.com
    05/02/03 Buffalo, NY
    10/01/04 Reading, PA
    09/19/05 Toronto, Canada
    04/12/06 Albany, NY
    06/11/08 West Palm Beach, FL
    10/31/09 Philadelphia, PA
    05/10/10 Buffalo, NY
    09/15/11 Hamilton, Canada
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    10/01/14 Cincinnati, OH
    04/28/16 Philadelphia, PA
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    bought a roland td3 last year and still play it at least 3 times a week.....with an ipod or computer and headphones you are golden. I went in to buy the Alesis and it felt like a toy.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Here is my current stable, just added the Blue Kit

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/HooterHonker/Drums/
    www.itradepj.com
    05/02/03 Buffalo, NY
    10/01/04 Reading, PA
    09/19/05 Toronto, Canada
    04/12/06 Albany, NY
    06/11/08 West Palm Beach, FL
    10/31/09 Philadelphia, PA
    05/10/10 Buffalo, NY
    09/15/11 Hamilton, Canada
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    10/01/14 Cincinnati, OH
    04/28/16 Philadelphia, PA
  • might seem obvious but your best bet is to take up lessons so u dont find youve rushed into buying a kit which youll end up never playing.

see if u can hack the basics before blowing money
  • I have owned a roland td 12,td 20,Yahama stage custom,Pearl custom& Mapex Mars Pro M.The Yahama by far is the best of the bunch.If your going to go electric ,V-Drums rule.I paid about $6000. for mine but that was brand new, fully loaded with the amp & lots of extras.If your just starting out & don't even know if your going to like playing I would suggest you get a practice pad kit.That will solve both the noise & cost issue.If you go electric & cheap your not going to get the same feel as an acoustic set & will be hard to resale.You can find great buys on E-Bay just make sure you buy through pay pal.The only good thing about this economy is that you can get great buys on E-Bay.I paid about $1800 on E-Bay for my current set & its huge,a drum here a cymbal there ended up as a 9 piece kit with 12 cymbals.If you get an acoustic set there are many ways to reduce the sound.Good drum heads will make a set sound better.I use evans & change them frequently.The right sticks will also help,you don't need a CLUB in your hands.Try 747 rock to start.Now that I've totally confused you,good luck with your shopping.I've been playing since 1966 & I still love it .Long liveROCK,Long Live PEARL JAM.