Floating Bridge

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited March 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
I bought an 06 MIA Strat about a month ago and I recently got it set up and I have my bridge floating so I can get full use of the tremelo. I know there are pro's and con's to floating a bridge as opposed to having it fixed on the deck. With a floating bridge you can't drop D or alternate tune and if you break a string than you have to re-tune the whole guitar but I have a Les Paul Studio that I can alternate tune with a drop D with. I figured that I would get full use of my Strat with a floating bridge. I also only use 2 springs as opposed to the common 3 springs and it seems to work great so far.
Do most of you float your bridge on your Strat or have it fixed and how many tremelo springs do you use?
Just curious. I know it's all personal preference.

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Hey, Andy! Haven't heard from you in a while.

I have a floating bridge on my mustang and it's working so that I can do alternate tuning (I don't know how, though). My strat has five springs in it. Helps with keeping it in tune, better.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    mines always floating and i use 3 springs in it. I tried it fixed but i didnt get on with the extra resistance it seems to give to the strings. The thing i love about floating bridges on strats is that you have to be alot more subtle with your playing as opposed to with a fixed bridge. With a floating bridge you cant really get away with beating the strings so much. Then again my two telecasters (mia standard and custom deluxe) and my les paul take all my aggression haha. My strat is my lady i treat well the others take all the beatings haha.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?