Options

Arlington, VA versus Washington, DC

washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
edited May 2008 in The Porch
everyone i know is telling me how horrible and unsafe DC is and coming from NY to the show im gonna have to stay at a hotel. now, i found a hyatt for $119 a night in Arlington and hyatt for $129 in DC. the one in DC is half a mile away from the Verizon Center and the one in Arlington is about 5 miles away. is it worth it to stay in Arlington? is it safer? which one should i choose!
PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Either or. If you wanna be in the maryland suburbs stay in waldorf maryland and drive in to DC. Its generaly safe near the venue in DC.
    It isnt like camden thats southeast DC verizon center is in NW or NE
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    who is everyone? i take it they do not live in the area, nor have they been to the area for quite some time...

dc is safe.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    one of the people used to go there for business, one went for pleasure, one lived there for a few months last year and they all said it was a dump/unsafe. 2 of those are from south bronx so its not like theyre light weights. though the person who lived there did say it wasnt as bad as people say... and the trouble with driving is that me and my friend are 19 and even if we could find a place to give us a car the rates would be astronomical :(

sounds to me that it would be ok to stay near the venue, i mean, there should be more security and whatever near there considering its like, right smack in the middle of all those historic sites and whatever, right?
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
  • Options
    russmcrussmc Posts: 91
    Dude, we have a great subway system in DC that can get you around most of northern Virginia, DC and Maryland.

http://www.wmata.com/

Arlington isn't a bad area, and around Verizon its not too bad. (I'd worry if you try going to a Nationals game though.)
    Surreal Art that Entices the Mind
    http://www.russmcintosh.com
  • Options
    WEAPONX24WEAPONX24 Posts: 131
    just stay at the one in the city...you'll be fine. Northwest DC isnt as bad as Southeast DC...Youll be good to go!
  • Options
    sometimes80sometimes80 Posts: 25
    the hyatt you can stay out will be perfectly fine. d.c. is only bad in bad areas.
  • Options
    Goofy08073Goofy08073 Posts: 41
    i live just outside of DC. Its fine. its no more dangerous than any other city and the area around the verizon center is especially nice.
    "Till there was rock you only had God"
    -David Bowie
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    you could go a little further south, motels near quantico are pretty cheap and it's only about 30 min from dc and right off 95, even manassas which is about the same amount of time and right off 66
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    russmc wrote:
    Dude, we have a great subway system in DC that can get you around most of northern Virginia, DC and Maryland.

http://www.wmata.com/

Arlington isn't a bad area, and around Verizon its not too bad. (I'd worry if you try going to a Nationals game though.)

at least a few years ago the metro closed around 11 or maybe midnight
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,360
    El_Kabong wrote:
    at least a few years ago the metro closed around 11 or maybe midnight

I think the last run is at 11:30.... But someone who uses it more might be able to better than me. I'm rarely downtown that late.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    metro out of DC will be fine, show will end around 11 and they will have trains running up to midnight. And there will be cabs as well. DC is as safe as any other city, NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago etc. Some areas are nice, and some are not. Don't stay in southeast.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 232
    Spend the extra $10 and stay in the district, particularly if it is the Grand Hyatt on H St. With that you are a couple blocks from the venue and if the pre-show fundraiser ends up being at Grand Slam it is right in your hotel. If it is Hyatt on the Hill you are still close enough to walk to the venue and only a couple blocks from the mall for sightseeing. I believe there is a third between Foggy Bottom and Georgetown. That isn't within walking distance for most but is in a very ice neighborhood only a few metro stops away from the venue. There might be another one or two in the district, not sure, but either way I would stay in the district.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    ok, so, southeast=bad. verizon center= north west so that would be good it seems :D
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    Stay in the district. It's worth the extra money to be able to walk to the venue. With all the people going to the concert it should be safe walking to and from the hotel to the venue. As in all cases, be careful, but I don't see it as a bigger risk than other venues. I'm taking my 11-year old niece on the metro, and I don't expect problems.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    if youre near the verizon center, youre in a pretty fun part of dc...take that one...
    2000 - Houston (x2)
    2003 - Houston, NOLA
    2005 - Toronto, Mexico City (x2)
    2006 - DC, NYC Avalon (Storytellers), E Rutherford (x2), SF (x3)
    2007 - Chicago (Lollapalooza)
    2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden (x2), DC, NYC MSG (x2), EV DC (x2)
    2009 - EV Baltimore (x2)
    2011 - EV SF (x2), Toronto (x2)
  • Options
    PJ N DCPJ N DC Posts: 183
    everyone i know is telling me how horrible and unsafe DC is and coming from NY to the show im gonna have to stay at a hotel. now, i found a hyatt for $119 a night in Arlington and hyatt for $129 in DC. the one in DC is half a mile away from the Verizon Center and the one in Arlington is about 5 miles away. is it worth it to stay in Arlington? is it safer? which one should i choose!

Stay in the Hyatt! Very nice hotel. Great location!
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    00 - VA Beach, Columbia, MD
    03 - Pittsburgh, State College, Bristow, VA, Scranton
    05 - St. Johns, Newfoundland, Pittsburgh, Newark, The Vic
    08 - Washington, DC (EV Solo), VA Beach, Washington, DC
    09 - Philadelphia (EV Solo) & Philadelphia (Spectrum Shows)
    10 - Bristow
    12 - Philadelphia (Made in America Festival)
    13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte
    14 - St. Louis, MO
    16 - Hampton, Philadelphia 2, New York City 1&2
    18 - Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    22 - LA 1 & LA 2, Hamilton, ON, Toronto, Nashville, TN
    23 - Ft. Worth 1 & Ft. Worth 2, Austin 1 & Austin 2
  • Options
    tmr168tmr168 Posts: 8
    Since there are some DC people in this thread I am going to ask a question. I'm staying at the Renaissance Mayflower, is that within walking distance?
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    tmr168 wrote:
    Since there are some DC people in this thread I am going to ask a question. I'm staying at the Renaissance Mayflower, is that within walking distance?

I've stayed there. Its a little bit of a hike, but it is right nest to a metro stop. Take the metro form there to gallery place china town. It is a very nice hotel.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    tmr168tmr168 Posts: 8
    I've stayed there. Its a little bit of a hike, but it is right nest to a metro stop. Take the metro form there to gallery place china town. It is a very nice hotel.

Sounds good, thanks man.
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    who knew there were so many locals on the board?

Anyway, like others have said, NW DC is safe :) Just watch yourself like you would in any other city.

There are lots of good hotels in the area, and a pretty good selection of bars/retaurants. Have fun....see you there!
  • Options
    jck33jck33 Posts: 39
    Until a year ago, I lived in downtown DC 2 blocks from the Verizon Center. Five or six years ago, it was a semi-dicey neighborhood, but lots of condos have been built and it's now a very cool neighborhood - lots of shopping and bars and restaurants, some of them quite reasonable. (Go to Matchbox for great mini-burgers and pizza.)
    The Hyatt is a very nice hotel, very convenient to the venue. Nothing to fear in that area, I promise.
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829

Don't skimp when it comes to DC, you'll have a room in hell otherwise
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.