Options

will they let krusen back if matt rejoins soundgarden?

albertgtalbertgt Posts: 19
edited March 2009 in The Porch
just a hypothetical question, since there was a soundgarden minireunion, if matt rejoins soundgarden, and pj has an open drummer spot, would they welcome krusen back in? ament seems to like krusen's style and i think he did a great job on Ten, and his drumming comes out more on brendan o'brien's remix. i think it would be pretty cool.
[2008] New York, NY. Beacon Theater
[2007] Chicago, Il. Lollapalooza
[2006] East Rutherford, NJ. Continental Airlines Arena
[2003] Atlanta, GA. HifiBuys Amphitheater
[2000] Atlanta, GA. Philips Arena
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Probably would ask Jack first?

He played with them in 03 in Santa Barbara, and played with Eddie at the Hullabaloo concert with Flea.

But I don't think he would do it, for the same reasons he left.

I'd love to see them bring Dave K. up to play a couple songs in LA! That would be sick.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    I seriously doubt it.

There should be no reason Matt couldn't be in both bands....assuming SG would actually rejoin to be a band again, which I seriously doubt will ever happen.

Matt has been with PJ now for almost 11 years.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I don't think the three guys would want to get back with Cornell, especially now that he's such a douche.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Won't happen.

PJ want Matt. They've built their sound over the last 11 years around him and his abilities.

...and I would want Dave Abbruzzese anyway. :) but again, won't happen.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    Why are people even talking about this, Matt is the glue. These guys have been searching for a drummer like him for their entire existence as a band. The other guys were fill-ins at best, Matt's permanent. Jack is great but he works way better under the context of funkier bands like when he was in RHCP.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    HYPOTHETICAL!!!!!! ;)

Obviously Matt is the perfect drummer and is NOT leaving the band and would NOT leave for soundgarden.

HYPOTHETICAL!!!!!!! :P

I don't think we need 6 people to ring in that it is NOT going to happen. That should be obvious.

HYPOTHETICAL!!!!!!!!!! :|
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    CJMST3K wrote:
    PJ want Matt. They've built their sound over the last 11 years around him and his abilities.

Sigh...unfortunately.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    lca1630 wrote:
    Jack is great but he works way better under the context of funkier bands like when he was in RHCP.

I would disagree...No Code & YIELD look great on a resume and sound even better when Irons is on the kit.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    CJMST3K wrote:

Sigh...unfortunately.

PBM

Yea I know what you mene...I dont know anything about drumming but I remember someone saying a long time ago that the drumming on Ten and early songs is what makes them so great live because it gives mike the room he needs to break into the kick ass solos and improv like on evenflow, alive and end of black- theres not much of that from the later albums, present tense may be the latest i can think of anyway.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:

Sigh...unfortunately.

PBM

Yea I know what you mene...I dont know anything about drumming but I remember someone saying a long time ago that the drumming on Ten and early songs is what makes them so great live because it gives mike the room he needs to break into the kick ass solos and improv like on evenflow, alive and end of black- theres not much of that from the later albums, present tense may be the latest i can think of anyway.

I would say it has more to do with how the songs are being written.
  • Options
    I would say it has more to do with how the songs are being written.

I'll meet you half way and say it's a 50/50 combo. :lol:

PBM

• Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    lca1630 wrote:
    Why are people even talking about this, Matt is the glue. These guys have been searching for a drummer like him for their entire existence as a band. The other guys were fill-ins at best, Matt's permanent. Jack is great but he works way better under the context of funkier bands like when he was in RHCP.

I don't think Matt is the glue. ...perhaps emotionally, but to me, not musically.... with the exception being on songs Matt wrote with them. On the earlier catalog, particularly Vs & Vitalogy, MC is the obstruction. I'd pay $200 to see them play a gig with DA.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,861
    Don't it, plus I saw an online pod/web cast thing with cornell. - The first question they asked him to comment on how so many ppl think that he is selling out by making a more dance/pop album. He replied he didn't think he was selling out (what exactly is selling out? blah blah) and went on to say that he thought it would be selling out if he got back with soundgarden or audioslave just to make as much money as possible.

So unless Chris is truly selling out he isn't going to get back with either of those bands. (Though it would be 100x better than what he is doing now from what I hear. I haven't even bought his album, don't think I'm going to either.)
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    wilfmisswilfmiss Posts: 196
    albertgt wrote:
    just a hypothetical question, since there was a soundgarden minireunion, if matt rejoins soundgarden, and pj has an open drummer spot, would they welcome krusen back in? ament seems to like krusen's style and i think he did a great job on Ten, and his drumming comes out more on brendan o'brien's remix. i think it would be pretty cool.

Do you mean this reunion?

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/soundgarden_inadvertently_reunites

Soundgarden-R.jpg
    3-29-94-FL/9-24-96-MD/9-18-98-MD/9-05-00-PA/4-26-03-PA/5-03-03-PA/7-12-03-PA/10-1-04-PA/9-19-05-ON/9-28-05-PA/5-09-06-ON/5-10-06-ON/6-23-06-PA/6-19-08-NJ/10-28-09-PA/5-20-10-NY/5-21-10-NY/9-11-11-ON/9-12-11-ON/9-2-12-PA/9-22-12-GA/10-11-13-PA/10-18-13-NY/10-19-13-NY/10-16-14-MI/9-26-15-NY/4-9-16-FL/4-11-16-FL/8-8-18-WA/8-10-18-WA
  • Options
    I can see Matt being in both bands if need be. Hell Soundgarden and Pearl Jam would probably go on tour together, and I can totally see Matt playing both shows. If anyone can do that its him.
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:

Sigh...unfortunately.

PBM

I agree. I don't think Matt's drumming is anything spectacular.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    CJMST3K wrote:

Sigh...unfortunately.

PBM

I agree. I don't think Matt's drumming is anything spectacular.

Do you play drums or any other instruments?

I know a lot of people like styles of other PJ drummers, but the fact is Matt is the most technical drummer that has played with them. Dave was flashy with his double pedal and his overuse of cymbals, but he was also quite sloppy. Jack was good, but also didn't stand up well in the live setting (many boots I have from this time make me cringe).
    I'm almost 100% certain that Matt basically plays the exact way the other guys want him to. If you don't think Matt can rock out, and unload some crazy fills (and not over do it, and stay on-time) I'd advise checking out some early Soundgarden boots.

In the early days the band was still experimenting with their sound and their style and just let each member do what they want within context (many interviews confirm this). Dave had a lot of freedom to do what he wanted. I like(d) the experimental sound, and it's nice popping in old boots but the band has changed in such a way that they are more polished and more rigid (like it or not) than ever and it has nothing to do with drumming.
    The same can be said for their guitar work on old songs. If you've heard one Evenflow from '03 to now, you've basically heard them all (with some minor variation). Go back and listen to different boots from the early days. The drumming, the guitars and the singing were very different from show to show.

To point fingers at any one individual isn't fair, and pointing them at the guy who probably has the most natural musical talent of all of them in Matt is especially silly.
    The fact is, and like it or not, PJ has become a very rigid and predictable band in their sound and style.

If Dave was ever to play with them again, you can be certain that you wouldn't hear the Dave of the old days because the democracy of the band would not allow it.

I for one don't really like the rigidity of their sound right now, but I'd take Matt in a heartbeat over the others.
  • Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    I've seen Jack play with Pearl Jam twice and Matt 8 times, while my Favorite Pearl Jam song is Present Tense and my favorite album is Yield (both recorded with Jack) Matt by far is my favorite Pearl Jam drummer. While Jack had those unique songs he did not play the Ten, Vs, Vitalogy songs as well Matt.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Yeah anyone just has to watch Jesus Christ Pose to see what Matt can be about.

I didn't realise dave used a double bass pedal? thought he was just really good and had abillity to do nice double and triple kicks.

I would be up for comprimising Cameron for any drummer to see SG reform, would probably go to USA to catch them if it was just a little one off thing, but then again if it was, Cameron could play for that time.
  • Options
    Guarantee Krusen comes back in someway....the guys really like him.
    " In New York as they say how the f*** ya doin'?" -Ed MSG 1 03

--
    MSG 1 '98 - MSG 1+2 '03 - Reading,PA '04 - Borgata 1 '05 - Continental Arena 1+2 '06 - Lollapalooza Chicago,IL '07-MSG 1+2 08, Mansfield 1 08, Beacon Theatre 08. MSG 1 10,PJ20 Alpine Valley, Atlanta 2012, Brooklyn 1+2 2013, Hartford 2013, Seattle 2013, Memphis 2014
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Yeah anyone just has to watch Jesus Christ Pose to see what Matt can be about.

I didn't realise dave used a double bass pedal? thought he was just really good and had abillity to do nice double and triple kicks.

I would be up for comprimising Cameron for any drummer to see SG reform, would probably go to USA to catch them if it was just a little one off thing, but then again if it was, Cameron could play for that time.

Yeah, Dave had a double pedal and used it often.
    Matt actually had one on the last tour, but only used it for a song or two (that I could see).

If SG gets back together I could be you anything Matt is still PJ's drummer. He seems like one happy f'n dude right now.
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    Matts staying in PJ hes been the drummer the longest and hes better than krusen.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Wilds wrote:

He played with them in 03 in Santa Barbara, and played with Eddie at the Hullabaloo concert with Flea.

I'd love to see them bring Dave K. up to play a couple songs in LA! That would be sick.
    jack would say no for the same reason he left the band in 98. if soundgarden were to reunite it probably be during an off year of pj. i think sg should just tour for a year and give us younger fans a chance to see them. but if soundgarden were to reform i'd like to see matt chamberlain be the drummer for pearl jam.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Matts staying in PJ hes been the drummer the longest and hes better than krusen.
    I agree.
  • Options
    Stu42Stu42 Posts: 178
    if matt were to leave for a while I would take Krusen over abruzesse in a heartbeat. Krusen's drumming on ten is fantastic, I always thought his drumming highlighted the funk/hip-hop influences in stone's rhythms. Ive honestly never really understood why abruzzesse is so well loved, I feel like he was barely even there on a lot of songs and for me borderline ruins a couple.
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    metsfan wrote:
    Wilds wrote:

jack would say no for the same reason he left the band in 98. if soundgarden were to reunite it probably be during an off year of pj. i think sg should just tour for a year and give us younger fans a chance to see them. but if soundgarden were to reform i'd like to see matt chamberlain be the drummer for pearl jam.

matt can be in both pj and sg
    hes a part of PJ he aint gonna leave it.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Matt is the best PJ drummer. Period. He played on Geddy Lee's solo album for fuck sake... and you all know what drummer Geddy Lee normally plays with.

A Soundgarden reunion would be cool but Chris Cornell needs to come down a few pegs before that's going to happen... I wouldn't mind lending them Matt but as long as that meant we still get him and if were 'side-project' status only.
  • Options
    Stu42 wrote:
    if matt were to leave for a while I would take Krusen over abruzesse in a heartbeat. Krusen's drumming on ten is fantastic, I always thought his drumming highlighted the funk/hip-hop influences in stone's rhythms. Ive honestly never really understood why abruzzesse is so well loved, I feel like he was barely even there on a lot of songs and for me borderline ruins a couple.

Dave didn't "boarderline" ruin songs, he flat out ruined songs live.

Now I respect his skill, but sooooo many songs in the early days were horrendous because of shitty timing and off fills. Dave was not completely to blame...but he's no drum god some people like to think he is.
  • Options
    BenzBenz Posts: 117
    Dave did not play double bass at least not regularly. He was just extremely good with one foot.
    Abbruzzese refused to use two bass drums or a double-kick pedal, instead concentrating on playing the best he could with a single pedal.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Abbruzzese

I`m a drummer myself and anyone that says Matt or Jack where more technically skilled either have not a clue or only listen to punk and standard rock grooves. Being technically skilled does not equal to hit as many toms as you can. Just listen to the small fills dave did in the ten or vs songs - just tight right to the point where Matt and Jack usually played too much standard boring tom fills which might look impressive if you want to pose on video but are just lacking any inspiration. When it comes to technical skills my order is Dave A., Dave K., Matt C and then Jack Irons.
    That in no way means that i do not respect Matt or Jack. I love them both.
    One other thing. I`m only speaking about performances with PJ - no doubt Matt did some great stuff on superunknown!
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Benz wrote:
    Dave did not play double bass at least not regularly. He was just extremely good with one foot.
    Abbruzzese refused to use two bass drums or a double-kick pedal, instead concentrating on playing the best he could with a single pedal.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Abbruzzese

I`m a drummer myself and anyone that says Matt or Jack where more technically skilled either have not a clue or only listen to punk and standard rock grooves. Being technically skilled does not equal to hit as many toms as you can. Just listen to the small fills dave did in the ten or vs songs - just tight right to the point where Matt and Jack usually played too much standard boring tom fills which might look impressive if you want to pose on video but are just lacking any inspiration. When it comes to technical skills my order is Dave A., Dave K., Matt C and then Jack Irons.
    That in no way means that i do not respect Matt or Jack. I love them both.
    One other thing. I`m only speaking about performances with PJ - no doubt Matt did some great stuff on superunknown!

I thought so, i think Dave A is so good at drums, just is whole style owns. Also i remember in 1992, during the verse part of 'Deep' he used to do one of the sickest beats ever.

Can sorta hear here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKsfulgtP6w but he has done cooler.

Still can't believe matt used a double bass :S:S:S