Options

First Impressions of SDE

Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
edited March 2009 in The Porch
First off, Brendan O'Brien has done an amazing job. I love the journal, postcards, poster, extras, artwork.

My disappointments:
1. Not the full dialogue/commentary on MTV Unplugged like the CD includes. It's way too edited for me...I don't really feel the Unplugged feel the way AIC and Nirvana had theirs. It just doesn't feel as intimate w/the song transitions. I don't mind that there's no RITFW in the Unplugged or the DITP but 38 min is kinda short for an Unplugged performance. My Unplugged CD is about 52min long (of course taking RITFW into account, i know).
2. The remixes are incredible. Only listened to the vinyls so far; but what about the "I died, I died...." at the end of Even Flow. That's missing and sorta makes me miss the authenticity of the song.
3. Not signed by the band, but I really don't care lol

Question:
Is the Ten CD and Vinyl the same way as it was recorded in '91-'92? It says they were remastered by Bob Ludwig, and I haven't listened to them yet, but what does that really mean? They aren't the same?
2005: Borgata 2, Philly
2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
2012: Made in America
2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
2015: Global Citizens
2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    The "I died" rant at the end of Even Flow are on the re-record version not on the original album.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Options
    soonerdeadsoonerdead Posts: 117
    First off, Brendan O'Brien has done an amazing job. I love the journal, postcards, poster, extras, artwork.

My disappointments:
    1. Not the full dialogue/commentary on MTV Unplugged like the CD includes. It's way too edited for me...I don't really feel the Unplugged feel the way AIC and Nirvana had theirs. It just doesn't feel as intimate w/the song transitions. I don't mind that there's no RITFW in the Unplugged or the DITP but 38 min is kinda short for an Unplugged performance. My Unplugged CD is about 52min long (of course taking RITFW into account, i know).

in regards to the dvd i agree with you about everything - my biggest disappointment too. i was hoping for a lot more in the dvd but alas, nothing. good thing i was pretty far gone when i watched it or i woulda been really upset! maybe in the near future they'll release a version along the lines of the chains and nirvana dvds. it's more to pay, but i'll enjoy it a lot better. i think we'll be hearing a lot more from fans about how shitty the dvd really is.
  • Options

My disappointments:
    2. The remixes are incredible. Only listened to the vinyls so far; but what about the "I died, I died...." at the end of Even Flow. That's missing and sorta makes me miss the authenticity of the song.
    3. Not signed by the band, but I really don't care lol

Question:
    Is the Ten CD and Vinyl the same way as it was recorded in '91-'92? It says they were remastered by Bob Ludwig, and I haven't listened to them yet, but what does that really mean? They aren't the same?

Yup i agree . . . the commentary between songs is missing and for people like us, who have had the entire audio performance on cd for years now, its a bit strange. It takes away some of the intimacy, but the production and song choice had a lot to do with it. Also, and here is the big thing, its April 1992, so they are still a very young band. Nirvana did theirs in November 1993, imagine PJ doing it then, whoa! that would have been amazing. October 1992 was their first bridge show and its a bit different from Unplugged
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • Options

The reissue (eleven song version) has a richer sound than the original Ten CD. The original CD suffered from that Dolby muffle that always scares the hell out of you when the cd changer moves on to, say, Vitalogy, and you have to turn the car stereo down from 30 to 12, then pull over and change your boxers.

Mass market CDs were only about 6 years old at that point, and producers were still learning how to get the best sound from digital encoding -- by which I mean that clean, dynamic sound that peaked around 2001-2002, not the "louder is better, therefore, we shall flatten the sound" crap that you get on 70% of the new releases from Top Forty pop today.

Cincinnati, Columbus 2000
    Baltimore 2013
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    What I love:
    1. The packaging, how everything fits together perfectly
    2. all of the vinyls. I dont have any vinyls other than 07 xmas single, and I odnt even have a player. But it really mkaes me wanna play them now
    3. The composition notebook
    4. Casette tape
    5. How the CD packaging is made to look just like the box it comes in. I thought that was really cool.

dont like
    1. MTV unplugged was basically, "ok lets put the performance onto the cd and not include anything else" . I dont really care that there is parts edited or no RITFW . I just dont like how all it really its basically just a dvd with the performance ripped onto a disc. It seems undone.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09