Mikes early era pedal setup

PappasPappas Posts: 809
edited March 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
ok guys i have bought my Stevie Ray Vaughan Fender Strat (it sounds awesome) and in 2 weeks im getting my amp (Fender Hot Rod Deluxe). I am also going to start buying some pedals. Basically i want to try emulate Mike's early sounds from the Ten, VS, Vitalogy and Mad Season era.

the first 2 pedals i will be getting straight up are the TS-9 tubescreamer and a dunlop crybaby wah. Apart from these 2 i was wondering what else Mike used in his setup?

according to other sources like Giventowail.com he had 2 amps, a fender and a marshall jcm800 and he used a pan pedal to switch between the two. was this when playing live or on studio as well? i won't bother with that as I will only have my 1 amp.

now according to Giventowail he used a dunlop rotovibe (red), but ive also read on other places that he used a univibe. can anyone comment on which he used? particularly on the TEN and Mad Season - ABove albums. i can definitely hear something being used in parts of Ten songs like Alive solo, state of love and trust etc, and definitely on some Mad Season songs too

also will the tubescreamer provide enough distortion when needed or should i get another distortion pedal? according to Giventowail he used a sansamp distortion pedal for Ten era. anyone have any info on this as to what model or anything. If so would it be possible to have the tubescreamer on for moderate distortion then turn the sansamp on as well for the big distortion sound? would he have used this for the high distortion parts on Ten, or would he just have used the tubescreamer? or his marshall amp on dirty channel?

the final thing about his setup is that apparently he used a Boss DM-3 - delay pedal, i will get this last i think.

thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Tube Screamer and wah are a must. I'd suggest getting the Marshall Guv'nor II (find it on ebay, cheap). This will give you the Marshall distortion and PERFECT for Mike's early sounds. Now, you can see a rotovibe in the pinkpop '92 show and it is used. He does use the univibe too. I think you might want the Rotovibe. It's easily moded to get the perfect sound you want and not as expensive. Lemme know how it works out, man.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy