Options

Should Ten Club pay the UPS fee?

jmkjmk Posts: 425
edited March 2009 in The Porch
I believe this mainly concerns the international customers who bought the Super deluxe set. It's been discussed in the "Message from UPS to our European Super Deluxe Customers" thread, but the discussion thread is quite long and everyone don't have time to read all the comments so I start a new thread with the following question:

Should Ten Club pay the UPS fee of $15 or 11,50 euros that I been informed they'll charge for the work at the customs?

Some customers in Europe have been asked to pay a lot more, like the guys in Portugal and Greece, for example.

It's of course in place that we have to pay VAT for products from outside the EU, but if Ten Club would've sent the set with USPS we could have (1), if we were lucky, picked up the package at the post office without paying VAT or (2) picked it up ourself at the customs, paying the VAT but without having to pay the UPS fees.

With the $50 shipping, I definitely think Ten Club should have chosen a deal with some delivery firm or chosen USPS (or done a better deal with UPS), so that NO additional fees would bee added, except for possible VATs or custom fees.

Is a refund of the UPS fee in place here, and is it possible Ten Club will do it?
Stockholm - 07/07/2012
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,017
    this should answer your questions:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=94791
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    Good post.

Well there is one thing for sure about responsibility: someone has to take it.

Us, fans have completed our "task" when we paid the price of the item plus delivery. (140+50 $)
    We separately take our own responsibility when paying the above cost, fees (custom, VAT - ??? $).

What about the responsibilty of UPS and/or Ten Club? What are they doing about it, eh?
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    I'm sure it'll get sorted - it's just the not knowing when or how part that annoys the hell out of me
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Options
    NoCode_1NoCode_1 Posts: 44
    working at mailboxes etc when i was a kid this happens all the time. and no 10c should not pay the fee. sometimes countries like to fuck with ups.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:

As I wrote: everyone don't have time to read all the posts and with this new thread that I started I want Ten Club to take their responsibility and not just say that "it's ok for you to pay a little to UPS, but not too much" is not satisfying for me.
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    Blame your country. I didn't have to pay any duty/GST on my package. If it's less than $50 (or something) they don't collect it.
  • Options
    bazzer wrote:
    Blame your country. I didn't have to pay any duty/GST on my package. If it's less than $50 (or something) they don't collect it.

In what country do you live?
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    jmk wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

As I wrote: everyone don't have time to read all the posts and with this new thread that I started I want Ten Club to take their responsibility and not just say that "it's ok for you to pay a little to UPS, but not too much" is not satisfying for me.

You only need to read the first one. SLH's post. It will be sorted - they are working on it.

A new thread was really not necessary.
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    jmk wrote:
    It's of course in place that we have to pay VAT for products from outside the EU, but if Ten Club would've sent the set with USPS we could have (1), if we were lucky, picked up the package at the post office without paying VAT or (2) picked it up ourself at the customs, paying the VAT but without having to pay the UPS fees.
    On the size of this package, I don't think many would have escaped, at least not in the UK.

And you might be able to collect from customs in Finland but you can't in the UK and the post office is charging just £3 less than UPS to collect the VAT (they charge £8 handling fee)
    How many people would have preferred to wait at least 2 extra weeks rather than pay an extra £3?
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    jmk wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:

You only need to read the first one. SLH's post. It will be sorted - they are working on it.

Yes, I read SLH's first post and in he's second he wrote:

"here is the latest:
    If there is a "reasonable" customs/duty tax imposed, you should not refuse the shipment. All International shipments are subject to customs/duty taxes imposed by your country. The value of the Super Deluxe Box set is marked $100. If the charge is "excessive", meaning 75+ euros, refuse the shipment until we can get this figured out. If you have questions, please contact <!-- e --><a href="mailto:shipping@tenclub.net">shipping@tenclub.net</a><!-- e --> or the UPS contacts listed above. Please CC <!-- e --><a href="mailto:shipping@tenclub.net">shipping@tenclub.net</a><!-- e --> on all UPS contact so I have a record of what's going on.
    If you have already paid, hang tight. We are working on a solution.
    I will update this post as I get more info from UPS.
    SLH"

I really think they also should be working on a solution regarding the UPS fees (or brokerage fees), that I wrote when I started this tread and that's why I started a new one. SLH's message says to me nothing about the 11,50 euro (~$15) UPS fee that I wrote about. That fee is not VAT which I do understand I have to pay.
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    garling23garling23 Posts: 11
    I live in canada and ended up paying around 16$ duty on my super deluxe edition. I think that is pretty normal for me, I am not sure if it mattered or not that it was UPS shipped... the fact that the item is worth 100$ or more and is not a gift is why i was charged.
  • Options
    jmk wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    jmk wrote:

Yes, I read SLH's first post and in he's second he wrote:

"here is the latest:
    If there is a "reasonable" customs/duty tax imposed, you should not refuse the shipment. All International shipments are subject to customs/duty taxes imposed by your country. The value of the Super Deluxe Box set is marked $100. If the charge is "excessive", meaning 75+ euros, refuse the shipment until we can get this figured out. If you have questions, please contact <!-- e --><a href="mailto:shipping@tenclub.net">shipping@tenclub.net</a><!-- e --> or the UPS contacts listed above. Please CC <!-- e --><a href="mailto:shipping@tenclub.net">shipping@tenclub.net</a><!-- e --> on all UPS contact so I have a record of what's going on.
    If you have already paid, hang tight. We are working on a solution.
    I will update this post as I get more info from UPS.
    SLH"

I really think they also should be working on a solution regarding the UPS fees (or brokerage fees), that I wrote when I started this tread and that's why I started a new one. SLH's message says to me nothing about the 11,50 euro (~$15) UPS fee that I wrote about. That fee is not VAT which I do understand I have to pay.
    I don't know if you have more than 1 post office in Finland but if not:
    http://www.posti.fi/english/pricesandin ... to_Customs
    in other words, consider yourself lucky they used UPS because your post office would have charged you €17.60 instead of €11.50 for the same thing :roll:
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    a lot of discussion over the small price differences at ptos offices or customs etc.

what was the initial $50 for? who did that go to? what could that have been spent on if we paid the VAT separately? has all $50 of it gone to UPS for each delivery? some to TC?

A breakdown of that would be helpful. I dont mind paying couriers or paying VAT. I do mind paying $50 shipping that doesnt seem to pay for anything.
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    I suppose that's one good thing about Australia. You pay nothing when it comes to Customs and Excise unless the item is worth more than $1000
  • Options
    in other words, consider yourself lucky they used UPS because your post office would have charged you €17.60 instead of €11.50 for the same thing :roll:[/quote]

Yes, that's the only post office we have (nowadays called Itella, instead of Posti, because of a more international name). Thanks for the info about those fees. I didn't know they charge those.

I've only been once in business with the customs when importing something from the US to Finland and that time I was lucky. I had ordered The Doors Vinyl Box set (7 LPs) from amazon.com and received a notification from the post office that it had to be custom cleared: the value was more than our 45 euro limit so I had to pay VAT. I went to the customs office near the harbor to pick it up and my turn came after almost an hour of waiting. So this customs guy comes with a big white bag in which the cartridge box was and there was a piece of paper with a sticker on the which said, Germany and some city there. The guy asked where the product came from and I said Germany like it stated. I said that amazon is a wordwide company with stores in the UK, Germany and US so I told him it's probably from Germany like it said. After a few minutes of wondering and computer checking for codes we came to the conclusion that he can't take any VAT from me because he couldn't prove it came from the outside of the EU. So I went home with my box without paying a cent at the customs.
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    JordyWordy wrote:
    What was the initial $50 for? who did that go to? what could that have been spent on if we paid the VAT separately? has all $50 of it gone to UPS for each delivery? some to TC?
    Maybe the 'free' shipping to US customers?
    #FHP
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    JordyWordy wrote:
    a lot of discussion over the small price differences at ptos offices or customs etc.

what was the initial $50 for? who did that go to? what could that have been spent on if we paid the VAT separately? has all $50 of it gone to UPS for each delivery? some to TC?

A breakdown of that would be helpful. I dont mind paying couriers or paying VAT. I do mind paying $50 shipping that doesnt seem to pay for anything.

firstly, i feel for you europeans with the fees...always sucks, customs and the like. when i sent things home from englad while away at school, used a private broker to save, and it still cost a fortune...and this is years ago! however, i will guess that most, if not all, of that $50 did indeed go to UPS simply to ship your 8 pound SDE from SEATTLE...to whatever EUROPEAN city or town you reside. that's a long and expensive trip, whether a package or a person. ;)

seriously, i send numerous packages to friends in various cities in europe every year. small packages, none too heavy, from NY - much closer than seattle - and have spent at times $20 to ship tru the post office. it IS pricey to mail packages abroad. also, i am going to guess since 10c offered a flat rate for shipping for all international orders, they did not fully know all the various costs associated per country. no 'excuses'.....just sayin'. have you ever ordered anything else from the US that heavy with expedited delivery? i am merely curious, b/c as i said....even using the post office - which is cheaper and slower - still pretty pricey...so i would be unsurprised if all of the $50 went solely to UPS for expedited delivery.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    i don't know if this means anything, but my roommate got a care package from her mom (we're in sydney her mom's in boston). it was filled with candy, magazines, tampons, etc, and was like, a half a foot in width and about a foot and a half in length. it cost about $50 to ship ($49 and change)
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    jmk wrote:
    pegasus wrote:
    in other words, consider yourself lucky they used UPS because your post office would have charged you €17.60 instead of €11.50 for the same thing :roll:

Yes, that's the only post office we have (nowadays called Itella, instead of Posti, because of a more international name). Thanks for the info about those fees. I didn't know they charge those.

I've only been once in business with the customs when importing something from the US to Finland and that time I was lucky. I had ordered The Doors Vinyl Box set (7 LPs) from amazon.com and received a notification from the post office that it had to be custom cleared: the value was more than our 45 euro limit so I had to pay VAT. I went to the customs office near the harbor to pick it up and my turn came after almost an hour of waiting. So this customs guy comes with a big white bag in which the cartridge box was and there was a piece of paper with a sticker on the which said, Germany and some city there. The guy asked where the product came from and I said Germany like it stated. I said that amazon is a wordwide company with stores in the UK, Germany and US so I told him it's probably from Germany like it said. After a few minutes of wondering and computer checking for codes we came to the conclusion that he can't take any VAT from me because he couldn't prove it came from the outside of the EU. So I went home with my box without paying a cent at the customs.
    :lol: you got lucky indeed!
    Amazon is one you always get caught with theses days...they went overboard in the early days with under-declaring and now Amazon boxes are a big red flag for customs.
    Post edited by Pegasus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    have you ever ordered anything else from the US that heavy with expedited delivery? i am merely curious, b/c as i said....even using the post office - which is cheaper and slower - still pretty pricey...so i would be unsurprised if all of the $50 went solely to UPS for expedited delivery.

thanks, and im not annoyed over it, just funny that some people say theyre totally unsurprised. I do buy online from the states a fair bit - but this postage cost me $111 ($50 + $61 at the door) in total. The VAT was fine, at $40. so thats $70 shipping. That seems to be an average for european customers. and UPS didnt have the values of the package printed on them. Thats the first time ive seen that. Its just weird, thats all. If its legal, its not good practice.

UPS were delivering hundreds/thousands of these? surely some discount would be given? The costs through the post office are high because they're individual orders, this was a B2B setup, the comparison isnt the same.

i bought from 10c cos theyve always sent me stuff promptly and in one piece at low cost. I shouldve researched who they were hiring to deliver it, but hey, live & learn.
    Post edited by JordyWordy on
  • Options
    Horos wrote:
    Maybe the 'free' shipping to US customers?

Hehe, glad to help as long as we helped save US Customers some money. :lol:
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    jmk wrote:
    bazzer wrote:

In what country do you live?
    I live in New Zealand! I guess they decide it's not worth their while to collect on the small amounts...
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    short answer = No.

Thats the price of importing - be aware of this when you order online internationally and deal with it.

I paid close to $75 in customs fees to get the 2003 tour cds that I ordered from 10C. ordered in 3 legs, and got nailed by customs on the 2nd & 3rd shipments.

Don't get me wrong, I sympathize for those people who got royally screwed by the customs fees in thier country. But when you chose to buy something from another country you should take some responsibility for your own decisions and know the consequences.

Honestly, judging by having to wait 4 weeks or more for Live at the Garden/Lost Dogs, Live at the Gorge and the self titled album I didn't expect to see my box set arrive before Easter. This is something I've learned to deal with when it comes to ordering from the US. We might be right next door here in Canada, but that doesn't make the process go any faster with regular mail.

The fee is not a UPS fee - its a Customs fee. You'd get this fee even if it went regular mail, it would just take longer to arrive. I suggest you take it up with your government.
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    lukin14 wrote:
    short answer = No.

Thats the price of importing - be aware of this when you order online internationally and deal with it.

I paid close to $75 in customs fees to get the 2003 tour cds that I ordered from 10C. ordered in 3 legs, and got nailed by customs on the 2nd & 3rd shipments.

Don't get me wrong, I sympathize for those people who got royally screwed by the customs fees in thier country. But when you chose to buy something from another country you should take some responsibility for your own decisions and know the consequences.

Honestly, judging by having to wait 4 weeks or more for Live at the Garden/Lost Dogs, Live at the Gorge and the self titled album I didn't expect to see my box set arrive before Easter. This is something I've learned to deal with when it comes to ordering from the US. We might be right next door here in Canada, but that doesn't make the process go any faster with regular mail.

The fee is not a UPS fee - its a Customs fee. You'd get this fee even if it went regular mail, it would just take longer to arrive. I suggest you take it up with your government.

After the discussion in this thread I think I can say that I've learned that it's the way you wrote at the end :( .
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Can someone explain to me where all these fees are for the people in Europe coming from. Like is it UPS that is charging them on is it the EU or the country itself?

The reason I ask is I'm in the US and I've ordered several expensive collectors Transformers toys direct from Japan before, and I've never had to pay custom fees or anything like that. It was delivered via the USPS once it got to the US, so is that why?

And I wanna say the shipping cost is usually around the $30 range.

It just seems ridiculous to me that people in Europe should have to pay any extra charges on this. Including this 'VAT' fee I keep hearing about.
  • Options
    i have paid in total $237 for this box set. $190 to tenclub for goods and postage then $47(£32.25) ups and vat taxs,or i could not have my records..this is just not right as i could of got it from £99.00 off of play.com or amazon.

more need to be done to let us know of extra charges before we order.as ive bough load from ten in the past and paid no more when good arrive.

gutted
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Can someone explain to me where all these fees are for the people in Europe coming from. Like is it UPS that is charging them on is it the EU or the country itself?

The reason I ask is I'm in the US and I've ordered several expensive collectors Transformers toys direct from Japan before, and I've never had to pay custom fees or anything like that. It was delivered via the USPS once it got to the US, so is that why?

It just seems ridiculous to me that people in Europe should have to pay any extra charges on this. Including this 'VAT' fee I keep hearing about.

Customs/duties & VAT are a country by country thing - 'government' charge.
    Extra fees - UPS charge for sorting VAT out + other unknowns.

VAT - Value Added Tax. Americans will have local taxes (state by state). Same kind of thing.
  • Options
    i have paid in total $237 for this box set. $190 to tenclub for goods and postage then $47(£32.25) ups and vat taxs,or i could not have my records..this is just not right as i could of got it from £99.00 off of play.com or amazon.

more need to be done to let us know of extra charges before we order.as ive bough load from ten in the past and paid no more when good arrive.

gutted

You just need to find out for yourself what's the regulation in your country of importing goods from outside EU, if you live in a EU country. Like we've discussed in the thread every country has it's limits on collecting the VAT (Value Added Tax). We have the 10€ limit = the products value must be under 45 € with our VAT of 22% 45€ x 0,22 = 9,9 €. If it's over 45€ the VAT will be collected at the customs. No duty will be collected in the EU if the value is under 150€. Those kiwis are lucky because they don't collect those taxes we do in Europe.

The best place to find out these regulations is probably the customs website of your country. Yes, Ten Club should have warned us, but it woudn't have been good business for them... it would've certainly been fair but now we all know, thanks to this forum.

We who knew took the chance of having it without paying the VAT. I did know about the risk of the package being caught in the customs if sent by USPS, but with UPS we just couldn't get lucky. This is a thing Ten Club could have warned about, too.

In this thread I've learned that if it would have been caught in the customs I'd probably would've end up paying more to the post office or customs for clearing it out myself -(don't know about every country's rules)- than with this UPS fee that they take for the paperwork. With UPS most of us has to pay this fee.

Don't know about the Kiwis ;)
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • Options
    Thorns2010 wrote:

VAT is a shortening on Value Added Tax. Every country has it's laws of how many percentages (%) of a products price this is. It depends on the product. In our Nordic welfare countries (Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland) we have high taxes so that we can have a welfare country. This means we have public schools, health care, roads etc. Our children don't have to pay for their education and they get health care for free if they get sick. We also pay quite high income taxes so that the public economy would be financed. Other EU countries also have quite high taxes, even though not as high as the Nordic countries.

In Finland our VAT for CDs, DVDs etc is 22%.

I do believe you have to pay some taxes in the US, too, even though you don't know about it ;) .

Read the posts in this thread to find out that UPS take appr. $20 and the rest is VAT (yes, taxes).
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012