allergy tests/shots

Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I have year-round allergies that seem to just keep getting worse. I'm going to see an allergist to see what else I can do that I'm not doing. Has anyone gone through allergy tests and shots? Were the skin tests miserable? Was it worth it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    The skin tests are more annoying than anything. They minimally hurt, but then you have to sit there for a while and wait for the reactions. And if they itch? Too bad! You have to grin and bear it and not scratch them.

I have been getting allergy shots for a few years now and they have done WONDERS for my allergies. As their disclaimer states, they will not 100% cure allergies, but they will almost definitely mask symptoms. I would 100% recommend getting shots. It's an ongoing process, and a hassle sometimes, but totally worth it.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I have year-round allergies that seem to just keep getting worse. I'm going to see an allergist to see what else I can do that I'm not doing. Has anyone gone through allergy tests and shots? Were the skin tests miserable? Was it worth it?

The testing is fine...I've been going to an allergist now for about 2 years

If you don't swell up too bad you'll get all the testing done in one shot..I had to come back a 2nd time 8-)

I didn't opt for the shots I take a pill daily and as needed on the nasal spray
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    Thanks for the info. I currently take zyrtec-d and just got a nasal spray today, but if I could get shots that would help alleviate some of the symptoms, I would do it in a second!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Some allergists just draw blood instead of skin testing....I have done both several times through the last 3 decades of my life. If your allergies create negative effects on your lifestyle, I would give shots a try.....been on as many three shots a week. :twisted:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Getting this done on Friday, hooray!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    All I know about is the stick test for food allergies and that was nothing, until of course my arm blew up from a reaction to eggs and then I had to take liquid shots of benadryl every half hour till the swelling went down

that was fun :lol: