Options

Another Crazy Breed Free Poster Giveaway!!

U R A Crazy BreedU R A Crazy Breed Posts: 8,370
edited April 2009 in The Porch
In honor of the Ten re-release next week i am giving away a Mansfield I '08 poster (pink)!! :o :shock: :o

Here is what you need to do if you want to win it:
Tell me what is your favorite song off of Ten and why..that's it!...I will read all the answers and pick a winner on 3/24/09

Peace & Love to all my fellow fans!! :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    edited March 2009
    Aight this sounds fun
    Ok my favorite song off of Ten has always been Garden. I like it cuz the music makes and lyrics makes it so sentimental and the guitar riff is just so cool. Oh and I love the line " I don't question our existence I just question our modern needs." I think it's a great example of eddies songwriting skills. Hope I get a poster to hang on my wall :)
    Post edited by PJFAN_seattle on
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,695
    thumbsup.gif
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,882
    my favorite song is Jeremy....

because i thought that kid blowing his brains out in the video was pretty fucking cool.....

how much can i flip that poster for?????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    While it changes based upon mood and life circumstances, I think I'm gonna have to say:

Release

I think it's the one song that I've never EVER skipped on Ten (not that I've ever skipped many).

As beautiful as Black is, I seem to have attached it to a very hard relationship in my past, and having finally gotten over that time in my life, it's lost just the tiniest bit of it's hold on my soul.

Porch has always been among my favorite songs, and the one I'm most likely to bellow like a mad man out the window of my car to strangers on the street (very scary, no one wants to hear that).

Garden is near perfection.

Once, Evenflow, Alive, and Why Go all would have stood a chance at my vote about 5 or 6 years ago. I still view them as Masterworks, but I think perhaps I've mellowed a bit.

Release is, in my mind, one of the single most beautiful songs ever written. I've been praying for years now to be able to catch it live at one of the shows I get to attend (thus far no luck), but I fully expect to burst out in tears when the day finally does arrive that I catch it live...

...I'm sure that it has something to do with the amazing relationship I have with my father, how much I admire him, and the respect we share for each other.

...I am myself, like you somehow...

Anyway, we can all more or less agree that there isn't a bad song on the album... heck, I've been writing this for nearly 15 minutes while going through each of them... there isn't even a simply good song on Ten... it truly is a Masterpiece.

-Thanks for the luring out of this... it felt great to stop and truly reflect on everything this album has meant to me for a few minutes before I spend an entire evening with the 8 lbs of awesome in a few days...
    If Adam and Eve had Taco Bell they would have never eaten that filthy fruit...
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,403
    very cool of you! i'll throw my hat in there as well...

for a long time, my favorite song was "Even Flow". It was the first PJ song that I had ever heard & it sounded so different from anything else that I had ever heard. It moved & swayed and made me jump up and down. while I still love this song, my favorite song is now "Release".

A few weeks after I heard "Even Flow", my Dad bought me Ten for my b-day. I listened to it all the time and always loved "Release".

A few years ago, we lost Dad after a short, grueling battle with ALS. Like lots of fathers & sons, we had our issues. Prior to his passing, we had been able to sort through everything & were finally connecting. I don't know if it was denial, but I never really realized just how sick he was. Looking back, I can see the warning signs. Our conversations became shorter over the phone b/c he was too weak....but he never complained. I remember when my Mom called me @ 3am to tell me that the had passed. To this day, I can't fully describe this feeling. I regretted not saying everything that I wanted to say, but was thankful that we had mended old wounds.

I found comfort in this song. I played it over & over again. The words rang true in my ears and I will always be thankful to PJ for this song. These words helped me heal, cope & grieve.

Sorry to get all sappy, but I thought it was worth sharing. You know in SVT when Jeff says that "music is most healing artform"? I agree.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    my favorite song is Jeremy....

because i thought that kid blowing his brains out in the video was pretty fucking cool.....

how much can i flip that poster for?????

Reading your posts always brings a smile to my face! You Rock!!! :D:lol::)
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    -Thanks for the luring out of this... it felt great to stop and truly reflect on everything this album has meant to me for a few minutes before I spend an entire evening with the 8 lbs of awesome in a few days...

that's what i was hoping would happen...so thank you!

mfc2006 wrote:
    Sorry to get all sappy, but I thought it was worth sharing. You know in SVT when Jeff says that "music is most healing artform"? I agree.

no apology required...and that wasn't "sappy" at all...sorry about your dad :( ..thanks for sharing

I love to hear how the band effects other people...I know they have had a huge effect on me!
  • Options
    Reading your posts always brings a smile to my face! You Rock!!! :D:lol::)

for God's sake woman... don't encourage him !! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Release is my favorite from Ten because the lyrics really hit home for me...

Release has always helped me feel a bit better about the situation with my father. My dad left my mom and I when I was four years old and I effectively grew up without a male figure in my life... The part where Ed sings "I'll wait up in the dark for you to speak to me" reminds of me being a little kid and laying in bed at night thinking about why my dad left and trying to cope with the feelings of being unwanted by my him. Thankfully Ten came out when I was 8 and the lyrics to Release really got me back then and they still get to me now.... I'm 26 and I've seen my dad a total of 2 times since he left... once when I was 14 and another when I was 18... He's just not a great person in general. The line "Oh dear dad, can you see me now?" kind of sums up how I feel about him in general since I've grown up and moved on... I'm not in his life at all but I always wonder what he would think of how I turned out and all that kind of stuff. "I am myself, like you somehow" also reminds me that my father IS my father and I have some of his traits but I am my own person and can't follow his horrible examples. Even if this isn't what Release is about or supposed to be about it's what I think of... and whenever I see Pearl Jam open with Release I get flooded with a ton of emotions.

So that's my story lol, sorry it's a bit emotional, I don't really bring that shit up a lot.
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    I'm going with Oceans.

Man how I love this song. And almost every time I hear it I have flashbacks to the summer of '92 or is it '93?? Hehe, I can't remember which year. Anyway, my family used to have a summer cabin we shared with family friends.

And so when I hear Oceans I distinctly remember being at the cabin playing Super Mario World on the SNES. And not just playing it, but a specific level. It was the first underground level in that game.

So while I love all of Ten, I love Oceans just a little bit more because it brings me back to one of the best memories of my life. Ah, the carefree days of being 12 again, I swear it doesn't get any better then that!

So uh....go Mario!!!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    It's a great poster so here's my bit.

I'm going to pick Even Flow in part because it's going to be the song that carries the most nostalgia for me. Ten itself will always be a special album to me, being the first Pearl Jam album I heard and Even Flow was the first song I heard.

Listening to it felt like a revelation, as silly as that sounds. And it was a bit silly I guess - it was that feeling of 'wow, I'm about 12 years old and this music represents that feeling of growing up, being a teenager - excitement, rebellion' ... music that's not just your parents' music.

Unlike other songs I could relate to similarly (Smells Like Teen Spirit?), this has stuck with me and I've grown with it. While I can now listen to it and appreciate it in a different way, I can still have the song completely take me back.

You know how a song can just form a feeling that is pretty much indescribable? Well this song does that in such a positive way. If I were to attempt to describe it, I'd mention the colour of Ten's album cover, that echo of Eddie's first word in the song, and me listening to it turned up to 10 on my rubbish CD player (8 was pretty loud and the point at which I'd be asked to turn it down ;) ). All those things mixed together into whatever a 'feeling' is, tied up with the absolute urge of motion that I feel with the guitar (especially as it first comes in) throughout the song.

That might mean nothing to you, but to me, hearing that song in the right mood can still give me a sense of clarity in my mind, that sense of excitement.

Sam
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Nice work dude :D
  • Options
    Free the 3Free the 3 Posts: 132
    Excellent idea.....equally excellent poster.
    I'm not much of a writer, so this will be short and sweet. I'd have to go with Deep...besides the awesome 6/8 time signature, who hasn't been in SO deep that you can't touch the bottom? That feeling of wasting away in the middle of nowhere.....not fun necessarily, but a lesson learned most definitely.
    Spfld 11.91, UMass 11.91, RI 11.91, UMass 4.92, Boston 4.92, Spfld 4.94, Boston 4.94, Htfd 10.96, Montreal 8.98, Camden I,II.98, E. Rutherford 9.98, MSG II 9.98, Htfd 9.98, Mansfield II 9.98, Glasgow 6.00, Manchester 6.00, Mansfield II 8.00, Albany 4.03, Albany 5.06, Htfd 5.06+06.08, EV DC2
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Garden

It puts me in a certain setting, like in a dream state. Seeing it live, me along with 20,000 fans ARMS raised, singing I WILL WAAAAALKKKK WITH MY HANDS BOUNDDDDD.. just really send chills throughout my entire body. Ed's voice, the eerie guitar being played over the rhythm.. just an amazing song.

Garden of stone.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    I have to say Oceans for many reasons:

While growing up my "Happy" place was Long Sands Beach & Cape Neddick in York Maine. For me that was where we went for the family vacations as a kid. It's where I went to mentally recharge after really long work weeks, driving 2 1/2 hours solo just to be by the ocean. Later it was the back drop when me and my wife got married up there at Harbor Beach in York Maine. Last year I got my first PJ Tattoo which also contains lyrics from Oceans. On a final note it is where my ashes are to be scattered back at the light house and at the beach where I was married when I pass. Oceans has always meant alot to me personally
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,024
    was Lukin on TEN? ;)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602
    PORCH

Porch is my favorite song off Ten because I love the guitar parts. The way it starts (I like the older/faster version even though I'm only 18), the energy, the lyrics, the solo, the stage dives, everything. When someone asks what kind of songs does Pearl Jam play, I think of Porch. It is by-far the best song on Ten. It just plain rocks!

*btw, thank you for the oppurtunity of winning this poster!!!*
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    not too many people interested in the pink octopus huh? it was a great fucking show!!
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Black would be my favourite. It is funny though because it brings up emotions which are quite painful for me, yet I love the song. I love relating to the lyrics particularly

'I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine'

Don't know why I love it, because particularly when I have been drinking it makes me sad, yet I still keep on playing it and singing to it in the shower.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Black would be my favourite. It is funny though because it brings up emotions which are quite painful for me, yet I love the song. I love relating to the lyrics particularly

'I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine'

Don't know why I love it, because particularly when I have been drinking it makes me sad, yet I still keep on playing it and singing to it in the shower.

Yeah, I can complete relate to that sentiment... somehow that line that can re-open some of the oldest of wounds can also somehow offer so much healing... makes zero rational sense, but it has had that exact effect on me more times than I probably care to remember... Black can and has moved me to tears many times... but it's helped me get over abject heart ache just as often...

I can't wait for my 8 lb box to show up tomorrow... The amount of reflection on that era in my life in the past couple weeks is already approaching epic proportions... I think this week is possibly going to blow my mind...
  • Options
    mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472
    This is almost impossible to pick a favorite song, but I'll pick one to at least write about...Once. The song talks about that bit of anger that is inside all of us, though many of us chose, and wisely chose, to keep that part of us restrained or under control. It's also more of a sadder song when put along with Alive and Footsteps, in the sense that you grow up with all this pain and confusing, and if those who should be important in your life aren't, it can really hurt you years down the line. In a way, the song(s) help to give an idea that we should really be thankful for the ways that we all grew up, be them good or bad, but at least we didn't do something crazy that would end us up waiting for the end to come swiftly.

If there is anything incoherent in this message, I do apologize, it's 9:30 in the morning, and I'm tired as hell.
  • Options
    My favorite song is Alive. Release and Black usually make me cry, so you might assume they're better songs, but because of that I skip them more often. Alive can pull me out of sadness, which is much more important to me. It's the first PJ song I really got into, and I still rarely, if ever, skip it. It's the best song on the album because the band was really feeling it at the time... watch performances from the first couple of years of the band, they're hypnotizing. Seeing their performance on SNL is the main reason I got into them. Eddie especially was in a different world when he sang it, and we all know why. The fact that he opened up about his 'curse' and how fans were able to lift it shows just how powerful Alive was, and probably still is to him.

I like the original, and the remixed version. It's also the only song that can get me headbanging in the car... the solo is perfect and easy to get lost in. I'm so glad it was the Ten song chosen for Rock Band. I don't have the game myself, but my friend called me up once he unlocked it so I could come play every instrument, and I've played it many times since. Even though the rest of the album is coming out on RB soon and I've already played Alive a billion times, I will probably continue to put it in setlists more than any other. It's just that good.
    I'll wait for an angel, but won't hold my breath
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Once upon a time it was probably Even Flow...but then I heard it live at every single show I've gone to. :)

So now, I'd probably say Release, love the part where it starts to build, etc.

Or Oceans...cause it's the one Ten song I have never seen live.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    Yippee for giveaways!!

Okay my choice is.....

Release!! Because it was the first PJ song I heard live, which rekindled a whole new appreciation for the entire Ten album. I know I'm not the only person who feels this way but that song give me chills. Every time I hear it and brings me right back to those ACC seats where my obsession was born! :D

THANKS CRAZY BREED!!!

GOOD LUCK Y'ALL!!
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    Wonderful thoughts so far... I want to hear more!
  • Options
    wilfmisswilfmiss Posts: 196
    Release, because it reminds me of my dad.
    3-29-94-FL/9-24-96-MD/9-18-98-MD/9-05-00-PA/4-26-03-PA/5-03-03-PA/7-12-03-PA/10-1-04-PA/9-19-05-ON/9-28-05-PA/5-09-06-ON/5-10-06-ON/6-23-06-PA/6-19-08-NJ/10-28-09-PA/5-20-10-NY/5-21-10-NY/9-11-11-ON/9-12-11-ON/9-2-12-PA/9-22-12-GA/10-11-13-PA/10-18-13-NY/10-19-13-NY/10-16-14-MI/9-26-15-NY/4-9-16-FL/4-11-16-FL/8-8-18-WA/8-10-18-WA
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,882
    if i dont win this poster....than it is obvious that.........

"THE FIX IS IN"
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    I would have to say 'Alive', mainly because it was the first song I had ever heard from them and every time I hear it, it always brings me back to the very moment I heard the song for the first time, which was in my friend's van, coming back from a day in the pool. I just thought it was extremely catchy and pleasing to the ears. I just fell in love with it and have been hooked ever since. And still to this day, it never gets old.
    10/5/04 St. Louis
    5/3/10 Kansas City
    5/4/10 St. Louis
    8/28/10 Little Rock - EV solo w/ guests
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    porch

i used to drink and get high on my porch and watch traffic

i miss those days
  • Options
    This is a hard question to answer, but my favorite track on "Ten" would have to be "Why Go" because everytime I listen to it I think of the great live performances I've seen.

The crowd starts chanting "hey, hey, hey..." when the drum roll starts and the crowd participation when Eddie lets us sing the "why go home.." between the 1st and 2nd verses.

Another reason why I really like it is because it didn't get "played out" back in the day like a lot of the other tracks released as singles.

Since I have no shame, I want to tell you Mr. Crazy Breed that I was at this Mansfield show and would really enjoy having this poster on my wall. :oops:

Thanks for the opportunity!
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder