Fender Pro Jr

DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
edited March 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Looking for a tube practice amp and have been researching the Fender Pro Jr. I haven't played one yet, but I wondered what people thought of it. Is it worth the price (especially since Fender raised prices). Are there other brands/amps I should be checking out in the $350-450 range? Any help would be appreciated...
I smile, but who am I kidding...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Pro Jr. is okay. The Blues Jr. is nice, too. I've heard GREAT things about Epiphone valve amps.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • if its purely a practice amp you are after, go for a Harley Benton GA5, its basically a epiphone valve junior but with an added tone control, plus its a wee bit cheaper.

I have one at home so i dont have to lug my big combo round and i can get my studio/live tone at home....brilliant!

i wish however, i'd probably bought the head and cab version rather than the combo but i'm sure this little beaut would sound good mic'd up. on the other hand my missus wouldn't like to trip up over cabs in our house again!

i got mine from

www.thomann.de i dunno if theres a US supplier anywhere?

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The Pro Jr. is a nice little amp, good for bedroom volumes but not *quite* loud enough for jamming with a band. The power rating isn't actually too bad, but it's limited by a small speaker. A lot of folks have said replacing the speaker with a better-quality speaker, even of the same size, helps a lot. However, the aforementioned Blues Jr. is just a little bit bigger, but has a bigger speaker and on-board reverb, which makes it a better overall option, for not a lot more money.

Bottom line, if you have a bigger amp or never jam with anyone, the Pro Jr. is a great amp for household levels. However, if you ever see the need to play out or jam with folks, and can only get one amp, then the Blues Jr. is a better choice.

For that matter, the Epiphone Valve Jr. and Harley Benton mentioned already can make good home amps that can also jam with a band. I'd definitely spend the few extra bucks to get the head and separate cab, rather than the combo; that way, you can upgrade easier, or just add a bigger speaker cab if you need to get louder.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Blackheart Little Giant through a good 4 x 12 cabinet..extremely responsive with a good distortion pedal.like a Keeley DS-1

3 or 5 watts.......great for in-home practicing
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."