edited December 2007 in The Porch
Was lookin' online for PJ covers, and stumbled on this essay:

http://csides.blogspot.com/2007/07/beat-of-different-drum-part.html

browse through the blog, there's also a pseudo-cover of Jeremy

the essay claims that PJ is successful due to switching drummers so often
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thanks for posting, certainly a good read...

cheers
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Thanks. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    great article, thanx for the find.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    the funniest part is the comparison on the intro fills to lukin and brain of j
  • Options
    I like to read articles by people who really understand music composition -- it's good to know that they appreciate PJ. (plus I learn a lot...)
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Nice article, and I love how the first paragraph is all about my other favorite band: Rush.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Pretty neat. Thanks.
    "I wish I was the full moon... you kept your house keys on" - Wishlist (Melbourne '03)
  • Options
    yeah rush is also a great band. but they do tend to recycle a bit. neil peart has some "stock" drum beats, but theyre great. i've yet to see matt cameron recycle too much. what i liked about the article though is how it went through each drummer individually. didn't realize other people on the boards listened to rush!
  • Options
    burlapsack wrote:
    yeah rush is also a great band. but they do tend to recycle a bit. neil peart has some "stock" drum beats, but theyre great. i've yet to see matt cameron recycle too much. what i liked about the article though is how it went through each drummer individually. didn't realize other people on the boards listened to rush!
    I saw Rush live and, wow, technically the best band I've ever seen.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    burlapsack wrote:

Neil practically reinvents his playing every few years. He may be guilty of a repeated cymbal ride or a drum beat, but c'mon...they've been playing for well over 30 years!
  • Options
    I saw Rush live and, wow, technically the best band I've ever seen.

I've seen Rush live 15 times :)
  • Options
    burlapsack wrote:
    the funniest part is the comparison on the intro fills to lukin and brain of j
    i was thinkin the same thing. that was an interesting read, thanks for sharing :)
  • Options
    I enjoyed the read. As far as Lukin and Brain of J go - even if they are the same fill, I still air-drum like dummy when I hear them.
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • Options
    anyone ever listen to attention dimension? notice how a lot of jacks drumming is the same? theres one song that is practically "who you are" with different vocals and guitars. i dont know, but for a beat that unique, seems like it should only be used once. (wasnt it a max roach solo in the first place, anyways)
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    burlapsack wrote:

i love rush, and neil tends to use that one "infamous" ride bell pattern alot, he does it in the song "far cry" i believe from their new album. and the reason matt doesn't really replay alot of his own beats is mainly because we dont notice it. neil is such a unique drummer that anything time he would play a similar beat we would notice it. matt really isnt much of a unique drummer for PJ, he just does some nice fills and thats that. and im not putting down matt, he is actually my favorite drummer period, regardless of his skill or not.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    I've seen Rush live 15 times :)

I find Rush's singers voice to be one of the most annoying sounds ever!

Oh and the thing where it says in the essay about phasing drums and guitar in and out of eachother, is that how the guitar in You Are is done? Somehow the guitar is linked to the drumbeat?
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    jordn6971 wrote:
    I find Rush's singers voice to be one of the most annoying sounds ever!

Oh and the thing where it says in the essay about phasing drums and guitar in and out of eachother, is that how the guitar in You Are is done? Somehow the guitar is linked to the drumbeat?

The thing with You Are is achieved with this Korg drum machine that has an instrument input. It allows the drum machine to determine when and how much of the guitar signal gets sent to the amp. For any guitarists reading, it's like a very flexible tremolo pedal.
    - Justin

You think the Slayer tour is out, or what?

"Finally! I get to save the earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows." -- Al Gore.
  • Options
    actually while we're on the topic of "You Are" and and Matt's recycling, you should find an mp3 of Geddy Lee (the singer of Rush)'s song "Working at Perfekt" from his solo album entitled 'my favorite headache'. (listen to the song at seeqpod.com and type in "working at perfekt")

matt cameron was recruited to play drums. at the beginning and end of the song, u can hear the same exact effects that you hear on "you are", just way back in the mix. so either matt helped geddy pen the song and play that guitar trick, or he lifted a guitar trick from one project, and put it on the next project. :) either way, both songs, "working at perfekt" and "you are" are excellent