Maternity Leave

Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
edited March 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
A friend called me earlier because one of her co-worker is pregnant and the boss told her today that she would not be allowed 12 weeks leave, which was her impression of what she is allowed. I checked it out and apparently that is so, as the FMLA provides for 12 weeks for companies with 50 or more employees with at least 50 working within a 75-mile radius of the worksite.
My friend and the other girl are currently the only two full-time employees at this place -- an optometrist's office -- but a third will be starting next week. Boss's maw-in-law helps out some. He actually told her he could replace her during her time off as well although he assured her that wouldn't happen. Still, I find it hard to believe that any law would allow that no matter the size of the company,
So, the question is to those more up-to-speed than I, how much time is he required by law to give her?
All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    I believe you can take 6 weeks but the company is not required to pay you. The only thing they have to do is hold your job. Every company is different though.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Are you asking whether he's required to follow FMLA guidelines since his company has less than 50 employees? Or are you asking what alternative guidelines he has to follow if he doesn't have to follow FMLA? Or something else? :?
  • Obviously he is not required to follow the FMLA, so my question is what is he required to do by law in regard to maternity leave for her
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Obviously he is not required to follow the FMLA, so my question is what is he required to do by law in regard to maternity leave for her

Personally, I haven't heard of any other national legal requirements besides the FMLA. What state?
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    In California, maternity leave revolves around disability. Can a person be fired when they are on disability? I don't think so. Disablity gives a mother paid leave 4 weeks before and 6 weeks after delivery. C-section grants a mother even more time. And when that disability is up, the mother may make a request for 6 more weeks.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Yeah, there might be a state law, but there isn't a federal law that I know of to protect her job (if FMLA doesn't cover the company).
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    In California, maternity leave revolves around disability. Can a person be fired when they are on disability? I don't think so. Disablity gives a mother paid leave 4 weeks before and 6 weeks after delivery. C-section grants a mother even more time. And when that disability is up, the mother may make a request for 6 more weeks.
    What disability are you talking about? In small companies, they don't make you pay for disability, therefore you don't have any.
    The Fed. gov. doesn't pay either for less than a year off work and you don't get the first 6 months and usually have to battle in court to get it, if you get it at all. Most people wait 2 years or better to get Fed. disability. Many never get it. Some states have a disability program that you sign up for via the welfare office.
    I am guessing U are talking about California state disability.
    Save room for dessert!
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    What disability are you talking about? In small companies, they don't make you pay for disability, therefore you don't have any.
    The Fed. gov. doesn't pay either for less than a year off work and you don't get the first 6 months and usually have to battle in court to get it, if you get it at all. Most people wait 2 years or better to get Fed. disability. Many never get it. Some states have a disability program that you sign up for via the welfare office.
    I am guessing U are talking about California state disability.

right. California. It comes out of our paycheck in taxes.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015
    In canada you get one year..and the government pays you as long as you have had a job in the past.......Also the company has to give you your job back.

I feel bad that the american government doesnt take care of its people.
    T
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Companies of any size aren't required to pay you while you are out. They can't fire you for going on maternity leave. They have to have a job for you when you get back. It does't have to be the position you were holding before just a job. Not sure as to the size of the company this applies to.

Honestly, especially for a small company, I can see why they would have to replace someone. If you are in an office that small, resources are probably stretched to the max and they probably can't afford to have someone out for 12 weeks.