Global Warming

CreedDiseaseCreedDisease Posts: 241
edited June 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Ok, I'm ignorant and lazy on the subject of global warming.... I heard today that the world's largest global warming rally was cancelled due to an abundance of snow in a place that ordinarilly doesn't have this much snow this time of the year. This seems counter-intuitive....As stated earlier, I am too ignorant to know and too lazy to read about it..... Are global warming and this snow event mutually exclusive, or is global warming somehow the cause of this event ?

Anyway, if someone could give me "global warming for dummies", I'd appreciate it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The issue as I understand it is that Global Warming leads to Climate change.

This is why I believe we're seeing odd weather patterns caused by the melting of the ice caps and such. It doesn't mean that we're gonna have 100 degree temps all the time, but it will cause weather that is abnormal for where you live.
    NERDS!
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Texas weather has always been abnormal! :lol::mrgreen:
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Texas weather has always been abnormal! :lol::mrgreen:

hahaha... Amen to that sister... I caught myself doing something very strange Saturday... I have a portable air conditioner in my bedroom because I like it cold to sleep but don't want my whole house cold all the time... I went to bed with it hot outside and it was freezing (for Texas anyway) the next morning, so I turned on the heat.... Soooo... Basically I had my air conditioner and heater on at the same time... Hmmmm... maybe I am the cause of global warming?
  • at the point we think global warming is at, we're seeing an overall increase in average global temperature, which is causing climate change. This doesn't mean it's going to be warmer everywhere, and one of the most potentially interesting/dangerous aspects of global warming is that if it ever got warm enough to melt the icecaps, that influx of cold water would alter our ocean currents and stop the gulf stream from bringing more temperate weather to america. So, at this point, things are probably warmer on the whole, with more unusual/increased intensity of weather events, but in the future if global warming continues the effects would be varied, and probably result in an america with much harsher winters in a large part of the country. Like you said, kind of counter-intuitive, but that seems to be how many things in nature work.
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    at the point we think global warming is at, we're seeing an overall increase in average global temperature, which is causing climate change. This doesn't mean it's going to be warmer everywhere, and one of the most potentially interesting/dangerous aspects of global warming is that if it ever got warm enough to melt the icecaps, that influx of cold water would alter our ocean currents and stop the gulf stream from bringing more temperate weather to america. So, at this point, things are probably warmer on the whole, with more unusual/increased intensity of weather events, but in the future if global warming continues the effects would be varied, and probably result in an america with much harsher winters in a large part of the country. Like you said, kind of counter-intuitive, but that seems to be how many things in nature work.

Actually I think Europe will be the one royally fucked if the gulf stream changes.
  • Thorns2010 wrote:
    Actually I think Europe will be the one royally fucked if the gulf stream changes.

True I just figured since they were talking about living in texas they'd be more interested in that perspective. pretty much everyone is royally fucked if the icecaps melt
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."