Oscars

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
what a load of shite... I've said most of these opinions elsewhere but gonna gel them into one post so as not to derail any other threads.

Anyway, it looks like this season we should all be wearing wedding dresses and straps are a sin. That's all I got from the fashion side of things.

Heath only won because he's dead... that Oscar belongs to Phillip Seymour Hoffman and I'm sure he knows it.

Milk was a great story made primarily so those involved could win oscars... it reeked of desperately wanting oscars at times.

Slumdog was simply a GOOD movie... rachel getting married, doubt and even gran torino were better.

Kate Winslet??? Seriously???? Meryl Streep put in the performance of her life... Anne Hathaway would melt anyone to TEARS with her portrayal... and they give it to one of the most overrated actresses of our generation??? :roll:

Urgh... I'm pissed off... did In Bruges win at least???
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I thought it was all pretty right on, except I would have rather Mickey over Penn. I'm sure it was a very close vote. As for Winslet, she is the best actress of her generation by far and should have won another oscar for her performance in Revolutionary Road..
  • LK208973 wrote:
    I thought it was all pretty right on, except I would have rather Mickey over Penn. I'm sure it was a very close vote. As for Winslet, she is the best actress of her generation by far and should have won another oscar for her performance in Revolutionary Road..
    Cate Blanchett is the best actress of this generation by far... Winslet only gets so many nominations cos the rest are so poor IMO :oops:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • I really liked the way the actor awards were presented. I think it was a nice way to really honor all of the nominees, rather than just focusing on the winner.
  • what a load of shite... I've said most of these opinions elsewhere but gonna gel them into one post so as not to derail any other threads.

Anyway, it looks like this season we should all be wearing wedding dresses and straps are a sin. That's all I got from the fashion side of things.

Heath only won because he's dead... that Oscar belongs to Phillip Seymour Hoffman and I'm sure he knows it.

Milk was a great story made primarily so those involved could win oscars... it reeked of desperately wanting oscars at times.

Slumdog was simply a GOOD movie... rachel getting married, doubt and even gran torino were better.

Kate Winslet??? Seriously???? Meryl Streep put in the performance of her life... Anne Hathaway would melt anyone to TEARS with her portrayal... and they give it to one of the most overrated actresses of our generation??? :roll:

Urgh... I'm pissed off... did In Bruges win at least???

Mickey Rourke should have won best actor!!!!!!!!!!! And how Gran Torino didn't get nominated for ANYTHING?!?! What a sham.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    I agree for the most part except for Winslet. Her performance in "The Reader" was phenomenal as well as in "Reservation Road." Meryl Streep ALWAYS puts on the performance of a lifetime. Hell, she shines in even the worst movies (Death Becomes Her, She-Devil). Any other year I would've said she flat out deserved it, but Kate deserved it just a bit more this year. Penn is the same way. The guy just blows away in any role he's in and it was no different in his portrayal of Milk, but I'm sorry. The Academy got it wrong this year. Rourke deserved it more. Just my opinion.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Anyone that cares about the fashion side of things should be put out of their shallow existence.
    Heath won because he reinvented an American icon and stole the show in the year's biggest movie. Plenty of actors died in the midst of shooting a big movie (Brandon Lee in the Crow?) and didn't win Oscars.
    I think you're thinking of the Curious Case of Benjamin Button... a film shot second-by-second to appeal to Academy voters. Milk was one of the most honest movies I've ever seen, especially for a biopic.
    Slumdog was better than good. Best picture... maybe not. But no need to diminish its quality because your personal favorite didn't win.
    Meryl Streep might go on a shooting spree next year... 15 nominations and only one win? That's fuckin nuts.

Urgh... I'm pissed off... did In Bruges win at least???[/quote]
    No, it didn't. I've never seen anyone so wound up and outraged over something as ridiculous as a totally subjective awards show.

• Mickey Rourke should have won best actor!!!!!!!!!!! And how Gran Torino didn't get nominated for ANYTHING?!?! What a sham.
    I've only seen half of the wrestler (must get around to the other half soon) so can't REALLY comment on Rourke's performance... the half I did see just made me pretty queasy (I've become like that recently... anything disgusting makes random parts of my body ache :oops: but there was something about Penn's performance that felt like he was thinking about the oscar the whole way through it and not the character... I didn't see Harvey Milk... I saw Sean Penn trying his best to get an oscar. It just seemed desperate. I didn't get that feeling from Rourke... I saw a sad wrestler.

Gran Torino was better than slumdog at least... perhaps not the acting side of things... Clint was pretty good and the young boy and girl... but all round the acting was just ok... but of course it should have been in the best film/director category... why the fuck wasn't it? :shock:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • I agree for the most part except for Winslet. Her performance in "The Reader" was phenomenal as well as in "Reservation Road." Meryl Streep ALWAYS puts on the performance of a lifetime. Hell, she shines in even the worst movies (Death Becomes Her, She-Devil). Any other year I would've said she flat out deserved it, but Kate deserved it just a bit more this year. Penn is the same way. The guy just blows away in any role he's in and it was no different in his portrayal of Milk, but I'm sorry. The Academy got it wrong this year. Rourke deserved it more. Just my opinion.
    I haven't actually seen either of Kates performances this year so I probably shouldn't really comment. Streep should have BAGS of oscars by this stage :D have you seen Rachel getting married though? Anne Hathaway surprised me by being absolutely FANTASTIC.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Anyone that cares about the fashion side of things should be put out of their shallow existence.

Heath won because he reinvented an American icon and stole the show in the year's biggest movie. Plenty of actors died in the midst of shooting a big movie (Brandon Lee in the Crow?) and didn't win Oscars.

I think you're thinking of the Curious Case of Benjamin Button... a film shot second-by-second to appeal to Academy voters. Milk was one of the most honest movies I've ever seen, especially for a biopic.

Slumdog was better than good. Best picture... maybe not. But no need to diminish its quality because your personal favorite didn't win.

Meryl Streep might go on a shooting spree next year... 15 nominations and only one win? That's fuckin nuts.

No, it didn't. I've never seen anyone so wound up and outraged over something as ridiculous as a totally subjective awards show.
    Firstly the fashion thing was tongue in cheek... they all seemed to be wearing the same style dress... mostly white too. Secondly, are you in the room with me? I got over it as soon as I posted it... just wanted to rant. How am I outraged? You make it sound like I'm going to go to hollywood and blow the entire place up :mrgreen: I'm not... I'm not even gonna get dressed :mrgreen:

I thought Brandon Lee was better in the crow and left a more lasting impression... I did comment to the bf during the dark knight that it almost seemed Heath was copying him :) hmm... you raise a good point there.

I haven't seen benjamin button... but Milk reeked of that to me... It was Josh Brolin's character and performance which left me thinking... THAT was a much more honest portrayal than Penn... Penn was still being Penn... albeit a much gayer Penn... but still Penn. Franco should have been nominated for being the only part of the film I enjoyed ;)

I saw slumdog before I saw the ones that became my favourite... and even then I thought it was good... it was a GOOD way to pass a couple of hours but once it was over it was over... meh!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Firstly the fashion thing was tongue in cheek... they all seemed to be wearing the same style dress... mostly white too. Secondly, are you in the room with me? I got over it as soon as I posted it... just wanted to rant. How am I outraged? You make it sound like I'm going to go to hollywood and blow the entire place up :mrgreen: I'm not... I'm not even gonna get dressed :mrgreen:

I thought Brandon Lee was better in the crow and left a more lasting impression... I did comment to the bf during the dark knight that it almost seemed Heath was copying him :) hmm... you raise a good point there.

I haven't seen benjamin button... but Milk reeked of that to me... It was Josh Brolin's character and performance which left me thinking... THAT was a much more honest portrayal than Penn... Penn was still being Penn... albeit a much gayer Penn... but still Penn. Franco should have been nominated for being the only part of the film I enjoyed ;)

I saw slumdog before I saw the ones that became my favourite... and even then I thought it was good... it was a GOOD way to pass a couple of hours but once it was over it was over... meh!

Well, you said you were pissed, and seemed livid. Glad you got it outta your system!

Brandon Lee was great in the Crow, and it's possible that was an influence on Heath. I just raise it to show that dying around or in the midst of a high profile release is no guarantee of an Oscar nomination, let alone a win. Sure, it might have helped his vote tally, but I don't think it means he won unfairly. His performance was being raved about well before his death.

I've not seen Benjamin Button either, but all it takes is one look at the preview to know this is Forrest Gump 2 with a weirder twist... coldly calculated to give a bunch of nostalgic nods to US history and warm the cockles of Academy voters. I'm surprised you felt that way about Penn's performance in Milk. I've never been a huge Sean Penn fan. He was good in Mystic River, but almost every other role I've seen him in I thought exactly what you said there... this is Sean Penn playing X. This was the first time I ever really saw him in a movie and felt like he overcame that. I thought he did a great job with a difficult subject... he didn't oversell it and he didn't make the man a saint. Brolin was excellent as well though.

I dug Slumdog. It has some pretty iconic images I think... like the plunge through the toilet, the kidnapping at the train station, etc.The show host was delightfully sleazy as well. However, it may also have helped that I think Indian women are absolutely stunning and I totally lusted after the grown up female lead ;)
  • Well, you said you were pissed, and seemed livid. Glad you got it outta your system!

Brandon Lee was great in the Crow, and it's possible that was an influence on Heath. I just raise it to show that dying around or in the midst of a high profile release is no guarantee of an Oscar nomination, let alone a win. Sure, it might have helped his vote tally, but I don't think it means he won unfairly. His performance was being raved about well before his death.

I've not seen Benjamin Button either, but all it takes is one look at the preview to know this is Forrest Gump 2 with a weirder twist... coldly calculated to give a bunch of nostalgic nods to US history and warm the cockles of Academy voters. I'm surprised you felt that way about Penn's performance in Milk. I've never been a huge Sean Penn fan. He was good in Mystic River, but almost every other role I've seen him in I thought exactly what you said there... this is Sean Penn playing X. This was the first time I ever really saw him in a movie and felt like he overcame that. I thought he did a great job with a difficult subject... he didn't oversell it and he didn't make the man a saint. Brolin was excellent as well though.

I dug Slumdog. It has some pretty iconic images I think... like the plunge through the toilet, the kidnapping at the train station, etc.The show host was delightfully sleazy as well. However, it may also have helped that I think Indian women are absolutely stunning and I totally lusted after the grown up female lead ;)
    that's funny... I usually think Penn is GREAT... this one just felt too much like him trying to be great :oops: . I've said slumdog was a good movie... it made me laugh and also made me wanna cry at times... it just left me feeling meh, like I said. It was pretty colourful though :) but I just don't think there was anything really special about it... and I've said it suggests a bad year for films... but it wasn't really... I think it was just the wrong films getting the hype and the oscar nod.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    that's funny... I usually think Penn is GREAT... this one just felt too much like him trying to be great :oops: . I've said slumdog was a good movie... it made me laugh and also made me wanna cry at times... it just left me feeling meh, like I said. It was pretty colourful though :) but I just don't think there was anything really special about it... and I've said it suggests a bad year for films... but it wasn't really... I think it was just the wrong films getting the hype and the oscar nod.

Well, at least it's not the Grammys ;)
  • that's funny... I usually think Penn is GREAT... this one just felt too much like him trying to be great :oops: . I've said slumdog was a good movie... it made me laugh and also made me wanna cry at times... it just left me feeling meh, like I said. It was pretty colourful though :) but I just don't think there was anything really special about it... and I've said it suggests a bad year for films... but it wasn't really... I think it was just the wrong films getting the hype and the oscar nod.

Well, at least it's not the Grammys ;)
    I don't really follow them... nobody really cares about the grammys... they're only a build up to the oscars :oops: :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Come on guys, comparing Brandon Lee as the Crow to Heath as the Joker is a bit of a stretch.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Come on guys, comparing Brandon Lee as the Crow to Heath as the Joker is a bit of a stretch.
    how so? Ok one's the superhero, the other's the villain... but that's where the major differences end.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    how so? Ok one's the superhero, the other's the villain... but that's where the major differences end.

Now before I say this, I really like The Crow, thought it was good comic movie. But are you just saying because of the white face paint? I am curious, I just don't see it. Not in the dialog, or the mannerisms, the roles of each to the film, the acting. I guess you could say Brandon Lee was influenced by Nicholsons Joker then, since that performance came first. Heath took a character and a script and transformed it, and had to live up to an enourmace amount of hype/expectations and still pulled it off to the majority of people.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    Come on guys, comparing Brandon Lee as the Crow to Heath as the Joker is a bit of a stretch.

I love the Crow but comparing their two performances is nuts. I mean Eric Draven had very little dialogue for a main lead. The movie was an action movie and his few lines did not overtake the movie as much as the special effects and the general story.

In Dark Night, it was an action based movie, but the whole movie was driven by the sense of chaos that Heath Ledger brought to his performance. It is by far the most iconic performance of the Joker and it blew out of the water Jack Nicholson's take on the role who was nominated for several awards in 1989 for playing the same character.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Comparing Nicholson and Ledger is a stretch as well. The first couple of Batman movies seemd to mimic the campy feel of the TV series whereas The Dark Knight took a much more serious role. If Ledger was still alive he would never attain the same status of Nicholson.
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:
    Comparing Nicholson and Ledger is a stretch as well. The first couple of Batman movies seemd to mimic the campy feel of the TV series whereas The Dark Knight took a much more serious role. If Ledger was still alive he would never attain the same status of Nicholson.

I think you mean the sequels.

The first one directed by Tim Burton - the one I'm talking about - wasn't that campy at all. I remember when it first came out people were saying how dark the movie was when compared to the tv series and the Dark Knight was much, much darker.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    Horos wrote:

I also think saying Ledger would never have achieved the success of Nicholson is a stretch as well. I mean Ledger died at 28, Nicholson didn't get his first break out role until he was 32 in Easy Rider.

Besides Nicholson wrote the awful movie, Head, that starred the Monkees before he ever got famous. It's amazing he had a career after that. ;)
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,675
    Solat13 wrote:

Besides Nicholson wrote the awful movie, Head, that starred the Monkees before he ever got famous. It's amazing he had a career after that. ;)
    You didn't like "Head"? :mrgreen:
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Solat13 wrote:
    Horos wrote:

The first one directed by Tim Burton - the one I'm talking about - wasn't that campy at all. I remember when it first came out people were saying how dark the movie was when compared to the tv series and the Dark Knight was much, much darker.
    The original with Michael Keaton was darker than the TV series but not to the degree that the last couple of films had been. It's a shame IMO that Keaton didn't stay with the role. At the time of its release most people were only familiar with the TV series, only us comic book geeks really knew Batman's history. By comparison this generation that flocked to see The Dark Knight really only knows Batman from the earlier movies.

I haven't seen the other movies so I really can't say Ledger didn't act better than the others but there's no denying his death had something to do with his popularity.
    #FHP
  • I haven't actually seen either of Kates performances this year so I probably shouldn't really comment.

Oh I see and yet you know she didn't deserve to win? Unbelievable.......and this idea that Slumdog is not deserving is utter nonsense as well..I saw the flick in November before the hype and without any expectations and it blew me away..It is a magical film on a multitude of levels..
  • LK208973 wrote:
    Oh I see and yet you know she didn't deserve to win? Unbelievable.......and this idea that Slumdog is not deserving is utter nonsense as well..I saw the flick in November before the hype and without any expectations and it blew me away..It is a magical film on a multitude of levels..
    :mrgreen: Yep, I know she didn't deserve to win... I'm psychic like that :D

That's WHY I said I never saw her films.

I saw slumdog with very few expectations... I was expecting a decent storyline and that was about it. I thought it was GOOD... it certainly didn't blow me away and I didn't find it magical... but that's just my OPINION :? just as it being 'magical' is YOUR opinion. The magic faraway tree by Enid Blyton is magical IMO... slumdog is not IMO.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Solat13 wrote:
    Horos wrote:

I also think saying Ledger would never have achieved the success of Nicholson is a stretch as well. I mean Ledger died at 28, Nicholson didn't get his first break out role until he was 32 in Easy Rider.

How many crappy roles did Ledger portray before TDK? Again I don't watch a lot of movies but I think the only other with any aclaim was Brokeback Mountain. Not sure how many statues Jack has(3 Oscars, 7 Golden Golbes and a Grammy) but he's starred in more great movies than maybe any other actor. Of course he's been in bad films too but there's no arguing against, Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, The Shining, A Few Good Men,Terms of Endearment, As Good As It Gets, and many cameo and smaller appearances. Heath had a long way to go to match Jack, I mean I think Jack is the apex of actors and it's kind of hard to surpass the summit.
    #FHP
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I really liked the way the actor awards were presented. I think it was a nice way to really honor all of the nominees, rather than just focusing on the winner.

At first I thought so too but then it was so much ass-kissing it was nauseating!!

and this morning I heard that Slumdog was supposed to go straight to DVD!! Not positive that is true but interesting. I LIKED that movie!! :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • :mrgreen: Yep, I know she didn't deserve to win... I'm psychic like that :D

No, in your initial post you asked Winslet, seriously??? How can you question/belittle her performance without seeing the film..either of them actually, lol..just saying, watch the fucking movie if you wish to debate it, otherwise don't waste my/our time ;) ..
    Horos wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

The original with Michael Keaton was darker than the TV series but not to the degree that the last couple of films had been. It's a shame IMO that Keaton didn't stay with the role. At the time of its release most people were only familiar with the TV series, only us comic book geeks really knew Batman's history. By comparison this generation that flocked to see The Dark Knight really only knows Batman from the earlier movies.

I haven't seen the other movies so I really can't say Ledger didn't act better than the others but there's no denying his death had something to do with his popularity.

But both Batman from 1989 and the recent movies are influenced by Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. It's just that after the success of other grittier movies in the recent history that the latest incarnation is darker. Batman from 1989 was the first real summer blockbuster movies and led to the environment where movies like Dark Knight could be made.

I mean in after it's initial run in 1989, it was the 6th highest grossing movies of all time. 20 years later it's now 45th alltime in revenue. I think people just remember the cheesy Batman's with the Governator, George Clooney, Val Kilmer, Jim Carrey, etc. and forget how innovative the original one was.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
  • LK208973 wrote:
    :mrgreen: Yep, I know she didn't deserve to win... I'm psychic like that :D

No, in your initial post you asked Winslet, seriously??? How can you question/belittle her performance without seeing the film..either of them actually, lol..just saying, watch the fucking movie if you wish to debate it, otherwise don't waste my/our time ;) ..
    I never debated Kate after my initial statement... simply said I hadn't seen her so can't comment on whether she was better than Meryl or Anne... just that I've never enjoyed a film of hers and think she's overrated as an actress in general... maybe these two latest films will prove me wrong but I'd really rather not sit through another Winslet film to be honest :oops:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Horos wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:
    Horos wrote:

How many crappy roles did Ledger portray before TDK? Again I don't watch a lot of movies but I think the only other with any aclaim was Brokeback Mountain. Not sure how many statues Jack has(3 Oscars, 7 Golden Golbes and a Grammy) but he's starred in more great movies than maybe any other actor. Of course he's been in bad films too but there's no arguing against, Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, The Shining, A Few Good Men,Terms of Endearment, As Good As It Gets, and many cameo and smaller appearances. Heath had a long way to go to match Jack, I mean I think Jack is the apex of actors and it's kind of hard to surpass the summit.

The thing is you'll never know. At the same age as Ledger, Nicholson was still doing one off guest spots on the Andy Griffin Show and Dr. Kildare. You have to factor in that Ledger was off to a better start than Nicholson and was also in Monster's Ball and I'm Not There which earned critical reveiw and nominations when they came out.

Jack Nicholson since the late 80's is a shell of himself and just plays himself anymore in movies. He had a good 20 year run, but not the greatest actor ever. I would say DeNiro was better than him and they're contemporaries.
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11