What is Jeff using on go???? NOt and 8 or 12 string bass Liv

RJ57954RJ57954 Posts: 12
edited February 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Trying to figure out if Jeff is using just a Tech 21 Sans amp when he plays go live... anyone know??? He may have used an 8 or 12 string bass in the studio, but all the live clips have him playing a 4 string.
Bob J
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• He uses a 12 string, when I've seen him him live. Please send me the live clips of him using a 4. It might have been in 2003 when he did, though. Didn't really sound like a 12 or 8. He uses a "Whammy" pedal, though which might explain how he got away-or he just made due with the 4 string. He's got some fulltone drivers on his board and I know he's used the tech 21 classic distortion.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I have to check you tube again, because I haven't found him using the 12 string in any of the video's, It does sound like it on the CD... let me know if you see any of them with a 12 string... the E is tuned down to D and I thought it was distortion an another pedal???

Thanks for the reply!!
    Bob J
  • Any version I see on youtube is a twelve. He's got a little bit of overdrive (but that might be from the tube amp). The E is kept on E. Studio has a cleaner sound. That's all.
  • I just watched a bunch of youtube vids, some from 1993 (Vs. tour) and some from 2006. All of them have Jeff playing a regular 4-string.

One thing worth noting here is that Jeff, Mike, and Stone all play basically the same riff, so there's an octaving effect going on with the bass and two guitars.

I'm not even hearing any distortion on Jeff's bass parts, but I can't say there isn't any overdrive at all.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I just watched a bunch of youtube vids, some from 1993 (Vs. tour) and some from 2006. All of them have Jeff playing a regular 4-string.

One thing worth noting here is that Jeff, Mike, and Stone all play basically the same riff, so there's an octaving effect going on with the bass and two guitars.

I'm not even hearing any distortion on Jeff's bass parts, but I can't say there isn't any overdrive at all.
    Please do link me to those because I've never seen him use a 4-string. I went to see them in 2006 and Jeff used the 12. I don't doubt he used a 4 though, like I said, in 2003 it sounds like he did. You can usually hear subtle overdrive in the opening riffs. Mike used the BOSS OC-2 in 2003, so Mike could have also used it, then. Also, Jeff does have a whammy effect..he could be using it for the octave
  • I've tried the octiver with distortion... but i'm better off with just distortion.... any more suggestions?
    Bob J
  • 1993 footage from San Jose (actually a great vid of this song)... looks to me like it's one of his Warmoth 4-strings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf1oKyxwtcU

Same story in Las Vegas 1993:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaG19xM9 ... re=related

Rio de Janiero in 2005 (quality sucks, but you can get a clear glimpse of Jeff and the headstock of what looks like a Modulus 4-string):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPCCH93Z ... re=related

Milan in 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyj_mAHp ... re=related

Sydney in 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5uevFNX ... re=related

The Hamer 12-string that he uses has a VERY distinctive headstock, 6-to-a-side tuners with a big long paddle shape.

If you can find footage of him playing a 12-string for the song "Go," then I'll believe it. But I haven't found anything. I think what's giving that 12-string sound is the fact that two guitars are playing the same riff as the bass, only an octave higher. Unfortunately, the only real way to hear what Jeff's doing would be to solo his bass track(s).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Dude, I'm an idiot....I apologize to both of you. I didn't see "Go", I thought it was "Why Go". Yeah, it's a four string, from what I know. I don't know too much about the song and what Jeff uses. Sorry, guys.
  • Hey thanks for the video's I think he's probably just using distortion live, I believes he's tuned to a D too....... The octiver becomes mush... Does anyone know what songs he uses the tremolo pedal on???
    Bob J
  • I do know it's a D song. The overdrive used could be a bit subtle.

Trem could be used on RVM