Microwave ovens

2»

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    My wife and I have had the same microwave for 20 years, hardly ever used, most likely would never replace. At work there is this one guy who uses it everyday for lunch, it seems stuff smells so bad coming out of microwaves, but the worst has to be hot dogs.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • I've been trying to convince my wife to at least consider getting a toaster oven. All of my kids' baby cereal was and is nuked, and I don't like that I'm putting microwaved food in my baby's mouth. She sees it as unavoidable from a convenience and time-crunch standpoint. I say that I'd rather be late for work than my kid grow a second head by middle school.

We don't have a dishwasher, so the amount of dishes that cooking or warming everything on the stove would create a mass pile, but hey, I'm willing again to wash them. She's one of those people that, if science doesn't say it's bad, then it must be fine. I disagree. I think that the kids born in the 70's and the 80's are going to be the start in a long line of cancer ridden adults. Or at the very least radiation poisoned.
    imalive wrote:
    I'm not sure I could survive without one.

Just whipped up a couple of quesadillas w/pico de gallo. Mmmmmmmm! :mrgreen:

I mean, really............I wouldn't survive without the ol' nuker.

im sure yuo could. i dont have one. not sure i see the point. im never that rushed for time.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • lukin2006 wrote:
    it seems stuff smells so bad coming out of microwaves, but the worst has to be hot dogs.

correction: eggs or fish.
    :sick:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Paul David wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    it seems stuff smells so bad coming out of microwaves, but the worst has to be hot dogs.

correction: eggs or fish.
    :sick:

well I have not had the pleasure, will avoid eggs or fish on microwave in future.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the things you own end owning you

i dont have a dishwasher either and i live in a house with 5 kids so...

... and what mass pile of washing up??? you reheat food on a plate or appropriate container over a saucepan on slow boil. easy as.

.. when it comes to cooking... well... sure youre gonna dirty utensils and pots. but normal cooked meals are way better than micronuked.

you all.. we all... need to slow down. we cant be that pressed for time. cooking is the one activity guaranteed to grab my preteens attention. they want to know what im cooking, how i do it and can they help. it gives them a sense of accomplishment to know what theyre eating they helped create. and they learn skills. so very important for when i kick them out of the nest. 8-)

Paul David wrote:
    I've been trying to convince my wife to at least consider getting a toaster oven. All of my kids' baby cereal was and is nuked, and I don't like that I'm putting microwaved food in my baby's mouth. She sees it as unavoidable from a convenience and time-crunch standpoint. I say that I'd rather be late for work than my kid grow a second head by middle school.

We don't have a dishwasher, so the amount of dishes that cooking or warming everything on the stove would create a mass pile, but hey, I'm willing again to wash them. She's one of those people that, if science doesn't say it's bad, then it must be fine. I disagree. I think that the kids born in the 70's and the 80's are going to be the start in a long line of cancer ridden adults. Or at the very least radiation poisoned.
    imalive wrote:
    I'm not sure I could survive without one.

Just whipped up a couple of quesadillas w/pico de gallo. Mmmmmmmm! :mrgreen:

I mean, really............I wouldn't survive without the ol' nuker.

im sure yuo could. i dont have one. not sure i see the point. im never that rushed for time.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    popcorn
    boiling a mug of water for tea
    defrosting my stouffers french bread pizza before it goes in the toaster oven
    I do like to steam veggies (my wife got this cockamamie device that works well) and cook potatoes (for my awesome German style potato salad) in the microwave
    and I might warm up left over pasta sauce to toss with boiled pasta-just enough so its not cold
    Otherwise, I dont eat frozen dinners or other microwave foods, but it is nice to have one.
    Get_Right wrote:
    popcorn
    boiling a mug of water for tea
    defrosting my stouffers french bread pizza before it goes in the toaster oven
    I do like to steam veggies (my wife got this cockamamie device that works well) and cook potatoes (for my awesome German style potato salad) in the microwave
    and I might warm up left over pasta sauce to toss with boiled pasta-just enough so its not cold
    Otherwise, I dont eat frozen dinners or other microwave foods, but it is nice to have one.

jugs are good for boiling water for tea. :P

i have to admit i have a fascination for microwave popcorn... ive used it @ my mums when were up there on holidays. but if we had jiffy pop here... id be more fascinated with that. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

i have to admit i have a fascination for microwave popcorn... ive used it @ my mums when were up there on holidays. but if we had jiffy pop here... id be more fascinated with that. :lol:
    jiffy pop
    fun once or twice-and kids love it
    but that crappy tin always burns the bottom :D

um jugs, they might have a different meaning here in the states :lol:
    Because I dont know what you mean.
    Get_Right wrote:

jiffy pop
    fun once or twice-and kids love it
    but that crappy tin always burns the bottom :D

um jugs, they might have a different meaning here in the states :lol:
    Because I dont know what you mean.

jug=electric kettle.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    jug=electric kettle.
    ah yes
    (gotta get my mind outta the gutter :()
    I have used them while traveling in Europe and asia
    very good indeed
    but the last thing I need is another countertop appliance
    already too much clutter!
    Get_Right wrote:
    jug=electric kettle.
    ah yes
    very good indeed

well see aside from the toaster the only appliance on my kitchen bench is the jug=electric kettle.

i do have an air popper for the popcorn, a blender and an electric hand beater. but they live in the cupboard under the sink.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    oh and popcorn... love the microwave for popcorn!
    Those of us that old enough to remember Jiffy Pop knows what a Godsend the Microwave oven was.
    I think everyone needs to buy a Jiffy Pop pan and just once and TRY to get that sorry sonovabitch to pop all the kernels without leaving that 2 inch charcoal base in the pan and a kitchen full of smoke, setting off all of the detectors. I heard it can be done but it takes about one hour with the stove on a very low setting. And shaking that thing for an hour straight will give you gals forearms that even Popeye would be envious of.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    you read my mind, they're great for quesadillas..you werent spying on me from the neighbors house last night were you?
    seriously, stay away from the nuked fish like mentioned. nothing ruins a kitchen faster..
    Also, if you're having a hardtime waiting until harvest season, the microwave is great for accelerating the time it takes to enjoy freshly snipped teaa leaves
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
    Get_Right wrote:
    jug=electric kettle.
    ah yes
    very good indeed

well see aside from the toaster the only appliance on my kitchen bench is the jug=electric kettle.

i do have an air popper for the popcorn, a blender and an electric hand beater. but they live in the cupboard under the sink.
    coffee maker
    toaster oven
    knife block
    blender
    food processor
    rice cooker (an outrageously very expensive Japanese one)
    cutting boards

all up top and used daily

so we go for the standard kettle on the stove-but the nuked mug of tea at 11pm or 6 am is nice
    Aero83_ wrote:
    you read my mind, they're great for quesadillas..you werent spying on me from the neighbors house last night were you?
    seriously, stay away from the nuked fish like mentioned. nothing ruins a kitchen faster..
    Also, if you're having a hardtime waiting until harvest season, the microwave is great for accelerating the time it takes to enjoy freshly snipped teaa leaves

explain to me about the quesadillas. you pop them in the microwave for the cheese melting once youve constructed them by regular means. or there is such a thing called a microwave quesadilla???
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    I really only use it to warm up the wheat pack, and the dogs dinner.

you warm up your dogs dinner????
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    When i was younger.. I worked the graveyard shift at a 7-11. There was a lot of down time after the beer was locked up and the floors mopped, so I did Microwave 'experiments'. Stuff like putting a Slim Jim in there and cranking it up to 15 minutes. Raw Egg, a nickle, a marshmellow, a frozen burrito, an ice cream bar...
    the results were mostly a nasty smell and a hell of a clean up.
    And yeah... metal results in lightning. I thought that was going to fry the oven so that one only went a few seconds.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Cosmo wrote:
    When i was younger.. I worked the graveyard shift at a 7-11. There was a lot of down time after the beer was locked up and the floors mopped, so I did Microwave 'experiments'. Stuff like putting a Slim Jim in there and cranking it up to 15 minutes. Raw Egg, a nickle, a marshmellow, a frozen burrito, an ice cream bar...
    the results were mostly a nasty smell and a hell of a clean up.
    And yeah... metal results in lightning. I thought that was going to fry the oven so that one only went a few seconds.

mad scientist. :lol:

life... life... ive created life... OMG! I AM A GOD!! :lol::lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • I seem to do a lot of dishes all day with only 4 people (2 adults and 2 young kids) in our house. Although with my wife going back to work and the kids at care all day, I'm sure that will lessen significantly.

we don't "cook" in the microwave. we reheat only. or heat up Sam's cereal for breakfast. otherwise, we cook everything else on the stove, in the oven, or in the wok.

with my wife's work schedule, we actually are pressed for time. she works pretty far from where we live, and takes the kids with her, as the daycare is close to her work. she leaves at 7:30 with the kids and gets home with the kids at 6. we won't feed our kids convenience foods in the car with preservatives up the ying yang, so they are hungry when they get home. believe me, I agree, we need to slow down, but it's hard when you don't have much time.

there's a guy in Canada that is sueing a popcorn company because he ate a bag of popcorn (or more) every single day, and he got cancer from the chemicals used in the bag.
    the things you own end owning you

i dont have a dishwasher either and i live in a house with 5 kids so...

... and what mass pile of washing up??? you reheat food on a plate or appropriate container over a saucepan on slow boil. easy as.

.. when it comes to cooking... well... sure youre gonna dirty utensils and pots. but normal cooked meals are way better than micronuked.

you all.. we all... need to slow down. we cant be that pressed for time. cooking is the one activity guaranteed to grab my preteens attention. they want to know what im cooking, how i do it and can they help. it gives them a sense of accomplishment to know what theyre eating they helped create. and they learn skills. so very important for when i kick them out of the nest. 8-)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    Paul David wrote:
    there's a guy in Canada that is sueing a popcorn company because he ate a bag of popcorn (or more) every single day, and he got cancer from the chemicals used in the bag.

:lol: stupid person.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • The only thing I use my microwave for is to melt butter for popcorn that I cook on my stove top.
    My husband uses it sometimes to heat water to set the baby's bottle in, but mostly to get hot water we use our espresso machine
    Like I said, the hippies I work with have fear-mongered me into not cooking with the microwave.
    My baby eats all organic, homemade baby food. ...hippies
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054

you warm up your dogs dinner????

Yeah if I have forgotten to defrost some......night shift brain.

I make all his meals and freeze them, usually make a batch of about 40 meals, as the horrible stuff you get from the shop gives him the runs...not to mention the worst doggie farts.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Pizza should only be reheated in the oven or just eat it cold. Two of my roomates use our microwave all the time, they love frozen dinners and stuff like that. I mostly use it for popcorn, because I am too lazy to go buy a real popcorn maker.
    I like microwaves pizza. Usually about 25 seconds.
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Posts: 3,508
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Pizza should only be reheated in the oven or just eat it cold. Two of my roomates use our microwave all the time, they love frozen dinners and stuff like that. I mostly use it for popcorn, because I am too lazy to go buy a real popcorn maker.
    I concur. Stove reheated pizza is the way to go. Microwave makes the crust to chewy.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    LloydXmas wrote:
    I concur. Stove reheated pizza is the way to go. Microwave makes the crust to chewy.

I just saw something online that claims if you put a coffee cup with some water in it in the microwave with your pizza, that the crust wont get chewy. I'm curious, but i'd rather just use the toaster or oven anyways.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)