Options

If today's country music sounded like...

Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
edited February 2009 in Other Music
Ryan Bingham the world would be a much better place to live. Dude is a bad ass in my book. He was on the same episode of Austin City Limits as the DBTs......he doesn't sing about his fuckin' tractor either and he is damn good guitar player too.

check him out if you haven't before and if you are into that sort of thing.....my favorites are South Side of Heaven, Sunshine and Hard Times but its all good.
http://www.losthighwayrecords.com/ryanbingham/media/
All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Way to reference DBT. I don't listen to country, although I always thought if Mike Cooley made a country album I'd probably love it.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Great country music tells a story.....Cooley, Patterson and Isbell are all great storytellers using music...look at the Country Greats....Cash...Willie...Waylon...Marty Robbins....Buck Owens....Hank....great storytelling. Most of the modern, mainstream country is simply pop music with a twang.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    He's one of the many musicians I've been meaning to check out for a while.

I'm all for good country-influenced music!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I like plenty of country influenced music... Wilco, Neil Young, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Crowes, Dylan at various times. What I don't like are those cheesy southern vocals... it's what kept me from enjoying DBT.
  • Options
    soclose wrote:

You really should...I started listening to the album again after I caught ACL and haven't turned it off for several days. I have also taken a liking to Hayes Carll.

I absolutely hate today's popular country music, but Willie, Waylon, JC, Jerry Jeff Walker and Merle Haggard are all favorites of mine. Good country music is still out there, but you have to seek it out nowadays.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    soclose wrote:

You really should...I started listening to the album again after I caught ACL and haven't turned it off for several days. I have also taken a liking to Hayes Carll.

I absolutely hate today's popular country music, but Willie, Waylon, JC, Jerry Jeff Walker and Merle Haggard are all favorites of mine. Good country music is still out there, but you have to seek it out nowadays.
    Downloaded some Willie, Waylon and Cash the other night...great stuff. 8-)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Ryan Bingham the world would be a much better place to live. Dude is a bad ass in my book. He was on the same episode of Austin City Limits as the DBTs......he doesn't sing about his fuckin' tractor either and he is damn good guitar player too.

check him out if you haven't before and if you are into that sort of thing.....my favorites are South Side of Heaven, Sunshine and Hard Times but its all good.
    http://www.losthighwayrecords.com/ryanbingham/media/

That was a great performance, I didn't know who the fuck he was, but now I do!!!
    the Minions
  • Options
    Today's country is crap. Old country music before it became pop is the best by far. Old George Strait, Randy Travis, Conway Twitty, Waylon Jennings, and several others... If you've never heard them, download "Bob Wills Is Still the King" by Waylon and "Linda on My Mind" by Conway Twitty. They're fantastic.