If you can try Five Guys burgers

fightingthesuburbsfightingthesuburbs Posts: 142
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
This past week, Friday the 13th actually, I tried Five Guys for the first time. They recently opened in Chicago and my wife had gone with her office and told me of the greasy goodness.

Here's my take:
http://www.dadtherapy.com/2009/02/burge ... rgers.html

I definitely think its better than In N Out, but not up to snuff with the Counter. Of course, its not as expensive as the counter either.

Definitely want to hear other opinions.
New screenname for the new site. At least for now. Previously Lackofdave
Blogging at <a href="http://www.dadtherapy.com">Dad Therapy</a>
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Where is it in Chicago?

Also, what's the counter? Is that in Chicago too? I know they don't have In'n'Out here.

I'm partial to the burgers at Weiner Circle... love that fake cheese sauce they use. God it's good.
  • I just had this for dinner.... it was so good!
    i recommend the cajun fries.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    theres one in hackensack NJ. Ive been there a bunch of times. GREAT burgers. Their fries are pretty over rated though.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Where is it in Chicago?

Also, what's the counter? Is that in Chicago too? I know they don't have In'n'Out here.

I'm partial to the burgers at Weiner Circle... love that fake cheese sauce they use. God it's good.

Five Guys is on Clybourn between Webster and Cortland in Bucktown area.

The Counter is closer to Lincoln Park zoo it's more high end, like $9+ for a burger but it's really really good and worth going to if you don't mind the traffic around there. Here's my review of that.
    http://www.dadtherapy.com/2008/10/burge ... unter.html
    I got regular, man next time I'm going Cajun fries.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Five Guys is on Clybourn between Webster and Cortland in Bucktown area.

The Counter is closer to Lincoln Park zoo it's more high end, like $9+ for a burger but it's really really good and worth going to if you don't mind the traffic around there. Here's my review of that.
    http://www.dadtherapy.com/2008/10/burge ... unter.html

I'm moving back to Ohio in May, so my gf and I are trying to hit as many good places to eat as possible before I go!
    I got regular, man next time I'm going Cajun fries.
    i usually get the small cheese burger cause I find that they get too sloppy with 2 patties.
    the freshness is unbeatable for the price.... and he choice of toppings is wonderous :P
    I had the cheese dog there a few years ago, I believe it was also yummy.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Five Guys is a good burger...but so is Red Robin...if I am going to spend $9+ on a burger...it better be a bison burger from Montana Ted's :ugeek:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybird wrote:
    Five Guys is a good burger...but so is Red Robin...if I am going to spend $9+ on a burger...it better be a bison burger from Montana Ted's :ugeek:
    i got 5 guys tonight and it was a burger and large fries for 7... not bad I thought.
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    tybird wrote:
    i got 5 guys tonight and it was a burger and large fries for 7... not bad I thought.

Yeah? Well I had Chipotle tonight, so there!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I didn't think it was anything special

yeah- cajun fries are the way to go there
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • I love Five Guys! It's so cheap, too.
  • There is one like 2 minutes from my house... we've been talking about going there for a while now, and never think of it when we actually go get something to eat.

I gotta try it this weekend or something.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Five Guys is good, but IN N OUT is the best you can get. They are finally building one in SLC :D
  • just opened right near me at the Patriots complex

better than In n Out?

uh oh!

:mrgreen:
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I discovered this place in DC about a year ago. I would LOVE it if they would open one in NM!! This place totally rocks! And, yes, it's better than In-N-Out - the fries especially! You people are making me jealous - and hungry!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    There is a Counter and a 5 Guys about five minutes from my work.

they are both good for different reasons. I like 5 guys is cheaper, but i like the choices you have at the counter more.

never been to an In N Out burger but i hear it is good.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,385
    A little greasy, but I like them. And you'll walk out stuffed with a small fry.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I have a couple by me but yet to go. People are always saying it's good though.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Just went there for dinner today for the first time... good stuff indeed!
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    did this post have anything to do with it?
  • i was let down. friends have been like gotta try blah blah, so finally i caved in and yet it was pretty regular. outside of homemade grilled burgers, ill take a whopper. there was pretty much nothing to like about it. and the fries where some of the blandest ive ever eaten.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    I just had this for dinner.... it was so good!

cajun fries=amazing.

you people forgot to mention unlimited free toppings!!! that's what makes a burger!
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.

Yes :)

I've been wanting to go for a while and this thread made me go last night.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • double cheeseburger
    mayo
    onion
    extra extra pickle...................
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,778
    Its crazy good...they even tell u(at least my local one) where the spuds come from.....after u eat it though, find a comfy place.....u aint gettin shit done for hours
  • Somebody told me to try that when I was in DC last summer for the PJ Show. It was the greasiest crap I've ever tasted. I threw most of my meal away.
    "It's all happening"
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Talking of burgers...I fancied a KFC breakfast burger - sausage mcMuffin, or whatever the fuck they're called - and so I went along and was at the head of the queue at 9:25am. The girl couldn't speak any English but she said they didn't have any. They stop doing breakfast at 9:30am. WTF? I was 5 minutes before time. If I'd been in England or any other English speaking country I'd have caused a scene. Bah! Fucking burger joints! I need to just stop going to them. They always make me angry. The last time I went to one they forgot to put any meat in my burger. :twisted:

Yes :)

I've been wanting to go for a while and this thread made me go last night.
    Awesome. My work here is done.