I'd rather not be with an animal

kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Some really fucked-up and morbid news this morning:
Pet chimp nearly kills Connecticut woman
5 year old boy eaten by a crocodile in Australia

The chimp story is not the 1st I've heard of it's kind. Not that it's common, but I can't ever imagine owning a pet chimpanzee. There's a reason people use the term "going apeshit". The latter story is heartbreaking of course, and I don't know enough to judge whether or not the kid should have gotten into that situation, but I'm glad the most dangerous animals we have here in Massachusetts are wild turkeys.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    It is a sad story for everyone, but mostly for the woman that is critically injured and Travis. The owner, although saying she loved Travis, should have known that keeping him like a human was not in his best interest. He was 14 years old and was probably tired of being kept away from his own kind. Apparently there had been issues with him before and she ignored them, or gave him Zanax! He was a pubescent male that had to wear a diaper, was kept in a cage at least part of the time, and his primary companionship was a 70 year old human. No wonder he went crazy. He belonged out in the wild where he could whoop it up with other chimps.

I firmly believe that wild animals should not be used in commercials, tv, movies, circuses, or kept as pets. It is wrong for the animals, and innocent bystanders get hurt too. It would be sad enough if the owner got hurt, but at least you could say she "assumed the risk." However, her poor friend......
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Kenny Olav wrote:

The chimp story is not the 1st I've heard of it's kind. Not that it's common, but I can't ever imagine owning a pet chimpanzee. There's a reason people use the term "going apeshit". The latter story is heartbreaking of course, and I don't know enough to judge whether or not the kid should have gotten into that situation, but I'm glad the most dangerous animals we have here in Massachusetts are wild turkeys.

Drinking Wild Turkey is dangerous as well
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • a fisher cat would fuck up a wild turkey

be careful puker!! ;)
  • animals do not belong in fucking cages....

they belong on your dinner table..........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • I've been absolutely terrified of chimps for years and THAT is exactly why. I don't trust them, I don't think they're 'pets' and IMO they're certainly not cute. *shudders*

I do hope the lady survives though... Poor old gal, she must've been terrified :(

The crocodile incident is simply tragic... but not at all surprising.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    animals do not belong in fucking cages....

Have to keep them somewhere before you dispatch them.

I bet chimp tastes great, I know the warm brains are a delicacy in some countries.

I've had gator but not croc.
    #FHP
  • Horos wrote:

I bet chimp tastes great, I know the warm brains are a delicacy in some countries.

I've had both gator and croc... Croc is lush :mrgreen:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Horos wrote:

chimps???

taste just like chicken...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Horos wrote:

chimps???

taste just like chicken...

I bet they taste as revolting as they look :evil:

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    It's awful.

I heard on the new this morning that she has "life altering" injuries to her hands and face!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    In the unedited 911 call...the woman says "He tore off her face!" and later one of the cops says "This guy has no face..." How horrible. I feel sorry for everyone involved in that situation...It was more than horrible for everyone...
    be philanthropic
  • In the unedited 911 call...the woman says "He tore off her face!" and later one of the cops says "This guy has no face..." How horrible. I feel sorry for everyone involved in that situation...It was more than horrible for everyone...

:shock:

shit.

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    In the unedited 911 call...the woman says "He tore off her face!" and later one of the cops says "This guy has no face..." How horrible. I feel sorry for everyone involved in that situation...It was more than horrible for everyone...

yeah I heard it this morning, it was bone chilling

so sad
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    It is a sad story for everyone, but mostly for the woman that is critically injured and Travis. The owner, although saying she loved Travis, should have known that keeping him like a human was not in his best interest. He was 14 years old and was probably tired of being kept away from his own kind. Apparently there had been issues with him before and she ignored them, or gave him Zanax! He was a pubescent male that had to wear a diaper, was kept in a cage at least part of the time, and his primary companionship was a 70 year old human. No wonder he went crazy. He belonged out in the wild where he could whoop it up with other chimps.

I firmly believe that wild animals should not be used in commercials, tv, movies, circuses, or kept as pets. It is wrong for the animals, and innocent bystanders get hurt too. It would be sad enough if the owner got hurt, but at least you could say she "assumed the risk." However, her poor friend......

well said. I couldn't agree more.

• I've had both gator and croc... Croc is lush :mrgreen:
    ewww... I had croc a couple of times in South Africa and I thought it was a rotten rotten texture... I had to chew and chew for minutes to be able to swallow one piece... I only got it the second time cos the first time was at a wildlife park so it may not be the best of 'restaurants' but the second time was at a pretty well known and upmarket restaurant... so I can really say I dont like crocodile :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Kenny Olav wrote:

the poor chimp :cry: that's so sad. At an old house I lived in, my nextdoor neighbour was babysitting Lucy the chimp from the zoo who was being handreared after her mom abandoned her... she was just soooo adorable. It was weird when you're holding her and she grabs your finger with her FOOT :mrgreen:

Very noble and brave that the family of the boy killed don't want crocs killed though :oops:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Boston LouBoston Lou Posts: 280
    edited February 2009
    Post edited by Boston Lou on
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,010
    Let's keep this thread on topic please. Thanks
  • I do hope the lady survives though... Poor old gal, she must've been terrified :(
    She survived but lost her eyes, nose and jaw.

I wouldn't want to survive with that outlook.
    I'll wait for an angel, but won't hold my breath
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Chimps are really very agressive animals, unlike Orangutans (sp?). I know all this stuff because I watch Animal Planet a lot. :D For example, in Chimp Eden the sanctuary people do not even go into the enclosure with the adult chimps. It is too dangerous. In fact, it is dangerous when they release another chimp into the enclosure. I saw one episode where a female was released and some of the males chased her around and beat her up some. Eventually they accepted her, but it was rough at first. The first program I saw that opened my eyes as to chimp behavior was one where they showed chimps catching and eating a monkey alive! It was awful. From the reports after this episode with Travis, I think that ripping the face off is one of their fighting tactics. They are very closely related to humans. I guess that explains the aggressive behavior huh?

As to Orangutans on Orangutan Island the sanctuary people come and go as they please as the animals are so docile. However, there is a pecking order and the alpha males do bully others and they sometimes fight. But they obviously are not near as aggressive as Chimps. Neither are gorillas apparently.

So.... the moral of this story is...... if I have to live in a jungle I want to live with Orangutans or Gorillas. :D
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • I do hope the lady survives though... Poor old gal, she must've been terrified :(

:shock:

Agreed.

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I do hope the lady survives though... Poor old gal, she must've been terrified :(

Daaaaamn. That is so sad.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Chimps are really very agressive animals, unlike Orangutans (sp?). I know all this stuff because I watch Animal Planet a lot. :D For example, in Chimp Eden the sanctuary people do not even go into the enclosure with the adult chimps. It is too dangerous. In fact, it is dangerous when they release another chimp into the enclosure. I saw one episode where a female was released and some of the males chased her around and beat her up some. Eventually they accepted her, but it was rough at first. The first program I saw that opened my eyes as to chimp behavior was one where they showed chimps catching and eating a monkey alive! It was awful. From the reports after this episode with Travis, I think that ripping the face off is one of their fighting tactics. They are very closely related to humans. I guess that explains the aggressive behavior huh?

As to Orangutans on Orangutan Island the sanctuary people come and go as they please as the animals are so docile. However, there is a pecking order and the alpha males do bully others and they sometimes fight. But they obviously are not near as aggressive as Chimps. Neither are gorillas apparently.

So.... the moral of this story is...... if I have to live in a jungle I want to live with Orangutans or Gorillas. :D

I don't think it's a coincidence that genetically speaking, our closest relations are chimps and bonobos... the most sex-crazed, violent, and aggressive primates out there. For all our toys and relatively hairless bodies, we're barely removed from our roots there. Compare the way the chimps treat the new arrival to the way the cool kids treat a new arrival in high school.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732

:)
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    :lolno:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • I know DOG OWNERS
    that can't take care of their animals properly:
    small spaces, limited exercise, lousy diet.
    Why in the world would caring for a wild animal
    be any easier?
    People need to think a little harder.

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.