Options

Another Mirrorball perhaps?

2»

Comments

• Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    They wouldn't, kinda like how they don't fit well with PJ.
    I won't entirely disagree with you. It's funny too... I always thought that the musical "quirk"that the time signature changes present in Soundgarden's songs were more from Ben Sheppard than anyone else. Then I heard some Wellwater Conspiracy and that thought was pretty much dashed.

Still though, Matt Cameron is an Overlord of Percussion.
    He is, there are just a lot of times I find myself thinking... "this would sound wicked on some heavy metal-ish song by tool or soundgarden or qotsa... too bad it sounds very awkward in a PJ song." He's a phenomenal drummer, I'm just not a fan of the time signature stuff. PJ's strength was in their smooth, organic groovy sound. That's a sound that Matt's not really a natural fit for... Dave and Jack were. Matt's the best at what he does, I just feel like the band has never really gotten on the same page with him because what they do is very different. The halting jerky rhythms have resulted in a lot of songs that fall uncomfortably in a no-man's land between a really heavy sound (which PJ doesn't do well) and a really groovy jamming rocker (which Matt doesn't do well). I think of Cropduster... the song had potential in the outro, but the choruses and verses aren't heavy enough to make it a real fist-pumping metal-type song and the time changes are too awkward for it to be an ass-shaking anthem like Evenflow.

I felt like the last album seemed to be a bit better about it, but we'll see.

Oh yeah, and another Neil Young album would kick serious ass... especially if Ed gets a few more vocals in this time!

"...too bad it sounds very awkward in a PJ song."
    100% man. Right on the money. Dave A and Jack Irons were kings of 4/4 rock.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    pepsigatorspepsigators St. John's, NL Posts: 182
    CB29798 wrote:
    2. When I think of the atmosphere on Mirrorball I'm immediately drawn to what a natural fit Jack Irons was to the sound I think of when I think of NY. I'd be really curious to hear what Matt Cameron would bring to the table. I'm not entirely sure if his time signature changes would be a natural fit, but I'd be more than willing to love hearing his efforts.

what an odd statement. A drummer in Pearl Jam that plays any time signature because he is that good and diverse but he doesn't fit their music. Interesting. Not only does he fit in he brought something extra to the table that no other drummer brought.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    CB29798 wrote:
    2. When I think of the atmosphere on Mirrorball I'm immediately drawn to what a natural fit Jack Irons was to the sound I think of when I think of NY. I'd be really curious to hear what Matt Cameron would bring to the table. I'm not entirely sure if his time signature changes would be a natural fit, but I'd be more than willing to love hearing his efforts.

what an odd statement. A drummer in Pearl Jam that plays any time signature because he is that good and diverse but he doesn't fit their music. Interesting. Not only does he fit in he brought something extra to the table that no other drummer brought.

That being?

Pearl Jam is a sloppy live band. They always have been. It's why people fell in love with them... you went to a live show and felt like anything could happen... Ed climbing the rafters, funky improvs and jams left and right, missed cues as well, but it all seemed to fit with this fantastic, spontaneous energy.

Matt's a GREAT drummer. But I've always felt like he can't play loose, sloppy, spontaneous, like their other drummers. He is super heavy on the arena rockers and that's great. But he's better suited to a band like Soundgarden or Tool... a band with very complex songs that rely on heaviness and demand perfect timing. PJ's music is simple and loose and fun, it's a different kettle of fish. Matt holds his own, but I feel a tension in their music since he joined the band that wasn't there before.
  • Options
    I still need Mirrorball!
    It's on my list after Saturnalia by the Gutter Twins.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,626
    Pearl Jam is a sloppy live band.

sloppy here and there, tight elsewhere,...

:lol:
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    not for me wrote:
    I still need Mirrorball!
    It's on my list after Saturnalia by the Gutter Twins.

Damn, you've got two great albums to look forward to!
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130

You're totally correct. He did bring something unique and extra to the table, and I do appreciate that. The ultimate question for me though, is: "Do I find his contributions to the PJ song catalog to be more pleasing than another drummer (Irons, Dave A., Krusen)?"

When I think about things overall, my answer is: "No." I'm not hating here. I truly think Matt Cameron has go to be one of the best percussionists playing rock music today. I just don't think the elements that make him such a unique and wonderful percussionist are as good a match with PJ as the other drummers they've had.

It's just my opinion. No harm, no foul.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    The problem with the other drummers Pearl Jam has had is that they were just drummers. Matt has a better understanding of music, I mean he writes songs! And anyone that says Matt can't play loose has not listened to his solo work.
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    The problem with the other drummers Pearl Jam has had is that they were just drummers. Matt has a better understanding of music, I mean he writes songs! And anyone that says Matt can't play loose has not listened to his solo work.

Yeah, what would the PJ catalogue be like without:

Evacuation
    Get Right
    Cropduster
    Unemployable

Those are truly the cream of the PJ crop ;)

Dave A wrote Go and Angel.
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    This would be spectacular!
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,571
    Dave A wrote Go and Angel.

Bless Dave for writing Go. One of pjs very best songs!
    I am also very glad dave played with pj when he did. I cannot see a different drummer doing a better job than he did on VS.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    It would be great. :D
    I really love Mirrorball.