My first ding ):

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited February 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just bought an American Strat about 2 weeks ago and now it has it's first ding. It happened last night at my guitar lesson. My instructor went to play it and as he swung it onto his lap to play it the headstock hit his heavy duty music stand. It didn't even phase him. He must have done it thousands of times before. It took a chip out of the headstock. I guess it adds character but man did it ever hurt to see that happen ): LOL I guess what bothers me the most is that I wasn't the one to do it. I could barely sleep last night LOL
The first ding is always the hardest from what I hear. After the first one, it just adds character!
Anybody have any stories about their dings and scratches?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I throw my strat at so many shows. It's been through a few breakups...

Actually, that's why I won't spend a lot on a guitar...or anything...I beat the hell outta my gear
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I jacked my strat headstock on a light fixture just the other day, giving it it's first real ding. It's an '08 mia that I got in august. It's surprising, I swing it around by the whammy bar, let it drag the ground and everything else short of the classic guitar smash.

I have a Gibson LP Standard that is about 15 years old, that has all kinds of tiny dings. It had some buckle rash before I got it. I really noticed it's charm the other day. How soon will a 90's LP start to age. Mine already seems to have golden-ed up a bit. My drummer has both put a couple notches in the headstock in one fall and save it from definite doom.

My Silverburst Custom has amazingly gone a full year of regular jammin, practices and gigs w/o gettin scarred. It has gotten some surface scratches, but there isn't one dent, ding, or scrape on it. The thing started out as good as a guitar can be put together. I told myself I wouldn't spend that kinda money, unless the guitar was perfect, and it is. I do take a bit of extra care with it, but nothin too bad. The thing doesn't get babied by any means.
  • Hell, I wish my Tele had more dings
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    I think my first ding was a can of deodorant falling off my wardrobe and taking a chip out of my strat. How rock and roll is that :)
  • I think my best "ding" was when I smashed my custom made guitar...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    My Tele dinged ME pretty good the other day - I reached into the case (which was upright) and went to grab the neck and grabbed the headstock instead. Got a few short-trimmed string ends in my palm which drew blood and hurt like a mother.

I haven't had any major dings to it yet, but since it was a year old when I bought it and had some belt-scratches on the back I probably won't mind as much as a if it was brand new. But I feel for you - if someone else dinged my brand new guitar I'd be pretty upset...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • My first "real" guitar was a 1973 Gibson SG 300 I got new that year. I put it in the case to take a break for lunch and when I finished, I got up and dropped the fork straight into the face of the guitar, FWOCK! Man was I bummed out for days. That guitar ended up getting pretty trashed over the next few years from my bad teenage imitations of Hendrix and Ritchie Blackmore stage antics. I always take really good care of my guitars now.
  • My old guitar instructor use to pull the same thing. He was in love with my strat. It seemed like at the start of each lesson, "oh man, can I just play that for a sec?" Luckily for him this never resulted in a ding, but I totally understand anger.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Jam10 wrote:
    I just bought an American Strat about 2 weeks ago and now it has it's first ding. It happened last night at my guitar lesson. My instructor went to play it and as he swung it onto his lap to play it the headstock hit his heavy duty music stand. It didn't even phase him. He must have done it thousands of times before. It took a chip out of the headstock. I guess it adds character but man did it ever hurt to see that happen ): LOL I guess what bothers me the most is that I wasn't the one to do it. I could barely sleep last night LOL
    The first ding is always the hardest from what I hear. After the first one, it just adds character!
    Anybody have any stories about their dings and scratches?

I'd be kind of ticked off if someone so carelessly hurt my new instrument. :twisted:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • I had been in search of a fairly priced Strat 60's re-issue for awhile and just luckily stumbled upon a 60th Anniversary Sunburst Strat that was on the bargain rack @ Sam Ash after someone banged another guitars' tuner's into it while trying it out. So in this case some one had already done the dirty work for me and I got to pay about half of MSRP.