Options

What ever happened to good cartoons?

Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
Really, I flip by Nick and Cartoon Network and there is some really strange shit on there! It all just seems like crazy nonsense to me and I wonder how any kid has a clue what the hell is going on.

When I was lad -- and I am sure most you -- we had the good stuff like Scooby Doo, Flintstones, Looney Tunes, Voltron and Transformers, but 'toons ain't the same anymore....and I say that NOT because I have matured!

So, do kids today have any idea who in the hell Foghorn Leghorn is?

"I say, boy, I ain't no chicken. That over there is a chicken!"
All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    My favourite cartoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcFKYgSpMA4

We'll never see its like again.
  • Options
    "When there's trouble you call D.W.!"
  • Options
    My favourite cartoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcFKYgSpMA4

We'll never see its like again.
    That's what I'm talking about!
    My mom got me a Looney Tunes dvd set for Christmas -- I'm 32 by the way -- a couple of years ago and on the rare occasion that I am actually able to get up early on Saturday morning I throw one of those bad boys in, have me some cereal (preferrably Cap'n Crunch) and pretend I'm seven again.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I blame Scrappy Doo.... :twisted:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    tybird wrote:
    The entire Cartoon World jumped the shark when that little mutt got drawn for the first time.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    daffy duck's quackbusters was the best!
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    The entire Cartoon World jumped the shark when that little mutt got drawn for the first time.
    Yes...yes, it did. :(
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    tybird wrote:

Come on now, let's not be hasty. Doug and Hey Arnold are two of the best tv shows ever, let alone best cartoons ever, and both came after scrappy. But ever since those two ended I agree, the cartoon world has been on a slippery slope, other than like family guy, but that's not really a cartoon in the traditional sense
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • Options
    Best cartoon channel = Teletoon Retro.

When my kids ask to watch cartoons, that's what I put on.
    AKA Cinnamon Girl :(

05-10-06
    08-05-07
    06-14-08
    08-12-08 (EV)
  • Options
    milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Animaniacs was one of my favorites. It was pretty clever for a cartoon.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Really, I flip by Nick and Cartoon Network and there is some really strange shit on there! It all just seems like crazy nonsense to me and I wonder how any kid has a clue what the hell is going on.

When I was lad -- and I am sure most you -- we had the good stuff like Scooby Doo, Flintstones, Looney Tunes, Voltron and Transformers, but 'toons ain't the same anymore....and I say that NOT because I have matured!

I dunno... those cartoons may not seem crazy because we grew up with them, but think about how bizarre these cartoons really are. Cartoons have gotten edgier though, and I take it that's what you mean.

My favorite cartoon, and I was in high school when it started airing on Sunday mornings, is still Ren & Stimpy. Now that's some crazy nonsense!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    George, George, George of the Jungle (watch out for that tree!) :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Grew up watching Looney Tunes of course. And I really liked Animaniacs. That was the closest you could get to the original Looney Tunes kind of humor.

May be cliched now, but SpongeBob is the best cartoon going now. I think it has a lot of the same elements of Looney Tunes and is consistantly funny without being too mean-spirited.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    Today's cartoons are hideous! I lived for Saturday mornings and the Bugs Bunny & Road Runner show. The best hour of my life each and every week.
    I also loved Rocky and Bullwinkle!
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • Options
    Nothing could be sadder than Disney tarnishing the Underdog legacy with an awful live-action movie. :(
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    Nobody mentioned "He Man"?!?!?!?!
    :o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEsHUel04dY
  • Options
    80's cartoon were and always will be the best.
    Ducktails
    Smurfs
    GI Joe
    He-Man
    Rock N Wrestling
    Q-bert
    Inspector Gadget
    www.retrojunk.com
    Great website for this.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a great cartoon too!
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632

I agree they seem like nonsense to me too. I remember watching looney tunes every saturday morning, that and the smurfs. :)
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Nothing could be sadder than Disney tarnishing the Underdog legacy with an awful live-action movie. :(

Agreed. Underdog the cartoon was fantastic. "When Polly's in trouble, I am not slow/So it's hip hip hip, and away I goooooooo!"
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    spongebob has to be on someone's list. that show is hilarious. if its on I'll watch it.
  • Options
    milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Commy wrote:
    spongebob has to be on someone's list. that show is hilarious. if its on I'll watch it.

It's true. Totally a guilty pleasure. But Spongebob is pretty funny...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Options
    shaggy15shaggy15 Posts: 190
    muppet babies !!!!!!!!!
    like a dog chasing a car, I do not know what i would do with it if i caught it----Joker

myspace.com/shaggy10680
  • Options
    tybird wrote:

Agreed. Underdog the cartoon was fantastic. "When Polly's in trouble, I am not slow/So it's hip hip hip, and away I goooooooo!"
    Simon Bar Sinister and Cad!!!
  • Options
    CorsoCorso so poor I can't afford to comment on the PJ forum Posts: 201
    samurai jack
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    The early 90's were a great era for kids.
    I remember so many great cartoons in those days, Simpsons was introduced to the world, Smurfs, Flinstones, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers, X-Men the list goes on.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    tybird wrote:

Simon Bar Sinister and Cad!!!

Cad was a brilliantly complex character for a cartoon figure, because he looked as if he should be a knucklehead, but was sometimes much smarter than the evil scientist!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Flagg wrote:
    Grew up watching Looney Tunes of course. And I really liked Animaniacs. That was the closest you could get to the original Looney Tunes kind of humor.

May be cliched now, but SpongeBob is the best cartoon going now. I think it has a lot of the same elements of Looney Tunes and is consistantly funny without being too mean-spirited.

But weren't the better Looney Tunes the more mean spirited.

And I watched Muppet Babies all the time. It kick started saturday mornings for years. When your world is kinda weird and you wish that you weren't there, just close your eyes and make believe and you can be anywhere.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    The early 90's were a great era for kids.
    I remember so many great cartoons in those days, Simpsons was introduced to the world, Smurfs, Flinstones, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Transformers, X-Men the list goes on.
    Most of those shows were 80s.. Weren't the Flinstones from the 60s?
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    muppet babies !!!!!!!!!
    I freakin loved Muppet babies!

So many Star Wars and Indiana Jones references..