Artic BOWL )))2000

stevehomeairstevehomeair Posts: 318
edited April 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Someone tell me how the instruments stayed in tune? I have never listened to the boot can you hear if the tune normal instead of 1/2 step down??????please geek squad techees give me an answer..Cause extreme heat and cold f up guitars...HOW LONG WAS ALPINE VALLEY 2000 MAYBE 88 MINUTES??? lol
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    They did shorten up the set quite a bit. I wouldn't think it would be as cold onstage, with the lights and the rockin. I would think they would have some heaters up there too. Plus you have the body heat and whatever other heat is generated by playing. I open my guitar case, let it adjust to the room for a bit, tune up and after about 15 minutes of playing, the ill effects of the cold are no more.

It's not necessarily hot or cold that mess up tuning, but fluxuations. Strings can be brittle in the cold, so I try not to do any monster bends til the strings get good and loose.
  • I was at this show and can assure you it was not much warmer on stage then in the audience. I remember Mike specifically bundled up with a big black leather jacket and a scarf wrapped up around his face to try and stay warm. He did not move really from there space heaters on stage. I think what they did to combat the weather effects on the instruments was swap them out after every couple songs, even if they were songs being played in the same tunings I mean.
  • when grateful dead played in veneta oregon 72' its was like 105 degrees and i think there was mass problems with tunings?? But probably they we're all too high to figure out wTF was going on???
  • Johnny WongJohnny Wong Posts: 193
    I think they had more problems keeping their fingers warm and nimble rather than tuning problems.... I remember a lot of in between song brett favre style hand warm ups!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Yeah, I was there too and the guys were bundled up pretty good. I think Mike had finger-less gloves.

My guess is they let their main guitars sit out in the elements for a while.
    I still don't know how they were able to play with cold fingers though. My fingers go into slo-mo when cold.