movie recommendations thread

CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
list movies you've seen that you'd tell your friends to see.
also if you can, add a description or a trailer link :)
spread the word!

Life Support on HBO
The true-life story of a mother who overcame an addiction to crack and became a positive role model and a AIDS activist in the black community.
http://www.hbo.com/films/lifesupport/synopsis/
"I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,963
    Recently...

Milk
    Wrestler
    Gran Torino
    Revolutionary Road
    Doubt
    Waltz with Bashir
    Wendy and Lucy
    Sludog
  • Sexy Beast
    The Limey
    The Sweet Hereafter
    Secrets and Lies
    Nice shirt.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I just saw a preview of PBS's upcoming Native American series call We Shall Remain, it'll be a 5-part series that runs in April-May. Documentry/Reenactment, part of the Amercan Experience Production series. Keep an eye out on that.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/weshallremain/
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    edited February 2009
    LongRd. wrote:
    I just saw a preview of PBS's upcoming Native American series call We Shall Remain, it'll be a 5-part series that runs in April-May. Documentry/Reenactment, part of the Amercan Experience Production series. Keep an eye out on that.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/weshallremain/
    this looks good thanks for posting the info.

**i made sure to sign up for the reminder :)
    Post edited by CHANGEinWAVES on
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I 2nd Gran Torino. Looks likes there's a lot of decent films coming out this year. And a slew of shit too, but that goes without saying. So maybe I won't say that next year. Nah, I won't be able to help myself.
  • arqarq Posts: 8,002
    Gran torino
    Taken
    Slumdog millionaire
    Dawn of the dead (old but I looove zombie movies)
    Persepolis
    And a lot of fogetable movies.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Reservation Road (very sad and very intense)

On a warm September evening, college professor Ethan Learner, his wife Grace, and their daughter Emma are attending a recital. Their 10-year-old son Josh is playing cello - beautifully, as usual. His younger sister looks up to him, and his parents are proud of their son. On the way home, they all stop at a gas station on Reservation Road. There, in one terrible instant, he is taken from them forever. On a warm September evening, law associate Dwight Arno and his 11-year-old son Lucas are attending a baseball game. Their favorite team, the Red Sox, is playing - and, hopefully, heading for the World Series. Dwight cherishes his time spent with Lucas. Driving his son back to his ex-wife, Lucas' mother Ruth Wheldon, Dwight heads towards his fateful encounter at Reservation Road. The accident happens so fast that Lucas is all but unaware, while Ethan - the only witness - is all too aware, as a panicked Dwight speeds away. The police are called, and an investigation begins. Haunted by the tragedy, both fathers react in unexpected ways, as do Grace and Emma. As a reckoning looms, the two fathers are forced to make the hardest choices of their lives.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3467706649/
  • Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids
    Documentary
    Admist the apparent growing prosperity of India, there is a dark underbelly of poverty of another side of the nation that is little known. This film is a chronicle of filmmakers Zana Briski and Ross Kauffman's efforts to show that world of Calcutta's red light district. To do that, they inspired a special group of children of the prostitutes of the area to photograph the most reluctant subjects of it. As the kids excel in their new found art, the filmmakers struggle to help them have a chance for a better life away from the miserable poverty that threatens to crush their dreams
    http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2965045529/

this was a very moving documentary, you really worry about the future of these kids by the end of the film.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    If you liked the first underworld i would check out the newest one. I enjoyed it a lot. Much better then the second one.

also i really liked revolutionary road. It is an uncomfortable movie, but a very good one. not one if you like happy endings.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    I 2nd Gran Torino. Looks likes there's a lot of decent films coming out this year. And a slew of shit too, but that goes without saying. So maybe I won't say that next year. Nah, I won't be able to help myself.

Gran Torino is great. My wife and I are about halfway through "Slumdog Millionaire" and I'm enjoying it so far. Really interesting premise.

"Taken" is a fun, entertaining movie too.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • The most disturbing documentary ever:

http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/thegre ... opsis.html

The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo is a shocking exposé of a decade-old epidemic of kidnapping, rape and torture of women and girls in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Often carried out with impunity by gangs of armed militias, these atrocities leave survivors traumatized and isolated - shunned by society and their families, and suffering lifelong health effects, including HIV.

It's being aired again next week and it's on HBO On Demand right now.

If anyone knows anything about weapons smuggling, please PM me.
  • I'm with everyone and say Gran Torino
    Other than that:
    The Wrestler
    Crank (It's one of my favorite straight up action movies of all time)
    Infernal Affairs (It's the movie the departed was a remake of)
    Chocolate (It's a Thai action movie. Once again really great fight scenes but the story is a bit lacking)

Those are the few I can think of right now. :)
  • Another Documentary I watched today:
    Unchained Memories

Unchained Memories: Readings from the Slave Narratives presents dramatic selections from the extensive Slave Narrative Collection through on-camera readings by over a dozen actors, interspersed with archival photographs, music, film and period images.

http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/unchained_memories/
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Born into Brothels is amazing. Our daughter is adopted from Calcutta so it's kind of hard to watch.

Older movies I like to recommend - Funny Bones, Galaxy Quest, Truly Madly Deeply.

I haven't seen Gran Torino yet, but it looks great.
  • Enkidu wrote:
    Born into Brothels is amazing. Our daughter is adopted from Calcutta so it's kind of hard to watch.

i'm glad to hear that others have watched this... i seem to watch it every time it's on.

I can see why it would be hard to watch for you.
  • Ganja Queen

documentary
    Schapelle Corby is living every traveler's worst nightmare -- convicted in 2005 of smuggling marijuana into Indonesia, the 30-year-old Australian is serving a 20-year sentence in a cramped prison.

Now a film debuting on cable television HBO on Monday goes behind the scenes at the dramatic trial that gripped Australia, initially strained ties between the neighboring countries and left people asking: "Did she really do it?"

http://www.hbo.com/docs/docuseries/ganj ... index.html
    This weekend I saw Coraline & Waltz With Bashir. Both were good for different reasons.

Coraline is a movie for kids it is an animation movie. I checked it out though because it is based on a book by Neil Gaiman (stardust movie & sandman comics) his stuff is usually pretty imaginative and Coraline was definately that. If I had a niece i would definately take her to see this.

Watlz with Bashir was pretty damn good. I can see why it is winning so many awards. I really got into this movie and got caught up in the story. Pretty intense ending.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • just watched the first part of Che
    I can't wait to see the second part!!!
    I'll keep you posted :mrgreen:
  • i watched dead man walking for the first time last night. un-fucking-believeable. one of the best movies i have ever watched.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    The Ladies Man.

GREAT on a night in.
  • nothing but the truth... witjh kate beckinsale, sounds shite but is actually really really good.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • WOW!!! I've just started watching CHE part two
    I highly recommend these 2 movies.

http://www.ifcfilms.com/viewFilm.htm?filmId=1236

so well done.
    I saw The Wrestler yesterday and enjoyed it.
    Che1 and Che 2 are playing at a theatre in town. I want to see it but don't know if i have 4.5 hours in a movie theatre in me. We'll see.

I watched Taken last night. It was exactly what it looks like it would be very predictable but entertaining. A lot of bad guys die.

I'm gettin dragged kicking and screaming to see Friday the 13th tonight :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    Che1 and Che 2 are playing at a theatre in town. I want to see it but don't know if i have 4.5 hours in a movie theatre in me. We'll see.

I watched Taken last night. It was exactly what it looks like it would be very predictable but entertaining. A lot of bad guys die.

I'm gettin dragged kicking and screaming to see Friday the 13th tonight :(
    I was lucky enough to have Che1 and Che2 on demand. Watched em from my couch with a break inbetween for the office :)
    I was glad I could rewind cause the subtitles went fast.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Everyone just watch Raiders of the Lost Ark repeatedly. It's all you'll ever need in a movie.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • I'm having trouble admitting this... I just watched 'Definitely, Maybe' and really liked it!! :oops:
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    we recently rented "The Visitor". great, great movie. i liked it so much i went out & bought it! i can't remember the last time that's happened!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 wrote:
    we recently rented "The Visitor". great, great movie. i liked it so much i went out & bought it! i can't remember the last time that's happened!

I watched that on Monday. I enjoyed it a lot too.
  • mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    It's not brand new or anything, but I guess, in the grand scheme of things with the earth being billions of years old and what not, it's probably still pretty recent history... Shaun of the Dead!! God, How I love this movie!!!
    Glorified version of a pelican