Options

The first time I ever saw Pearl Jam, I...

quarterpastquarterpast Posts: 185
edited February 2009 in The Porch
was scared shitless. I was in 2nd grade, sneaking in some Mtv while my mom was outside gardening. "Jeremy" was in heavy rotation and it was so scary for an 8 year old! It took a few years for me to grow, mature, and realize it was actually an awesome song.

Anyone else want to finish that sentence?
rock bands may come and rock bands may go...
but rock n roll will live forever! - ray davies
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    The first time I ever saw Pearl Jam, I... was captivated.
    It was also the Jeremy video... my 12 year old mind thought it was so well done and fit the music better than any other video I had seen (besides Thriller of course ;) ). I was hooked right then and there!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 868
    was the world premiere of the Alive video on MTV. First time I saw them live, '94 at the Paramount in NYC...life changing.
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • Options
    ...was drunk and blown away. :lol:
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Options
    jecicajecica Posts: 954
    I was high as a kite and kept playing Garden over and over again while floating up and down on my friends water bed.
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
    edited January 2009
    The first time I saw Pearl Jam live... I was late! It was Lollapalooza '92 (?) @ Montage Mountain in the Pocconos and I guess I didn't figure on the loooooooong walk from the parking lots to the stage. By the time I got there they were playing Porch. What I did see of their set was amazing, but I was bummed and to this day always get to shows insanely early so I don't miss anything...

Ah just read the other posts and I guess it's not about seeing them live... I saw Evenflow on MTV in the early 1990's and was hooked. Which is much more boring than my "live" story...
    Post edited by DeLukin on
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    was scared shitless. I was in 2nd grade, ...

2nd grade?? Thanks a lot for making me feel old. :(
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 9/10/23 coming soon
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804
    The first time I ever saw Pearl Jam, I...JIZZED IN MY PANTS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4
    :lol:
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    was scared shitless. I was in 2nd grade, sneaking in some Mtv while my mom was outside gardening. "Jeremy" was in heavy rotation and it was so scary for an 8 year old! It took a few years for me to grow, mature, and realize it was actually an awesome song.

Anyone else want to finish that sentence?

I too had the same experience probably around the same age, man that video was scary, especially Eddie. I then saw the premiere of the DTE video on TRL >.< in 1998, and of course was into Last Kiss when that was all over the radio waves, and then I Am Mine in 2002 was the song that made me borrow a CD or two from my friend who was heavy into Pearl Jam and its been all "downhill" ever since.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    funnygirlfunnygirl Posts: 529
    Everytime I see Pearl Jam( live) I am in awe.... When they take the stage I have an out-of-body experience...a bomb could go off and I would have no idea....
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    was shocked they opened with sometimes. then i was blown away.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    allstar340 wrote:
    The first time I ever saw Pearl Jam, I...JIZZED IN MY PANTS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4
    :lol:
    I was just about to post this, but mine was going to look like this:

"...jizzed in my pants!"
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I remember hearing the hits of the day, back when I was probably 10 or so, Jeremy sticks out. I can remember walkin around singing the chorus over and over, even though I am sure the lyrics were miles off.

I started gettin into them in high school, seen them for the first time 3 months after I graduated(Indy 2000). I couldn't begin to tell you how they have affected my life. I loved Zeppelin before them, ALOT, but PJ kinda made me realize there was other music out there. My friends would probably argue, b/c all they got when they were with me was a steady diet of PJ and Zep. I listened to some other stuff, but no other bands were on the same level, far as I was concerned. PJ, and music in general, has affected my life quite a bit through the years. I have since branched out pretty extensively.

They helped bring me closer to my little brother than I would have ever imagined. I took him to that first Indy show. He was a little dude and little circle pits kept openin on the lawn, but he hung in there and the moment Ed came out and dedicated TYAAM to his brother, PJ was our band. Sadly, he was killed in a car wreck, the very day we splurged and bought some tix for the VFC show in St Lou. We got to build some great memories, and sometimes it seems like I could write a book about all the stories. Gettin kicked outta Florida, a few more PJ shows, Rush in ATL, and soooooooo many other just hanging out moments.

Also, my obsession with music runs deep and alot of it is PJ's fault. I've spent enough money to buy some countries on guitars and all the stuff that goes with them and cd/records. If I'm not listening to music, I'm playin my guitar. The music players, in my house, are like tv's in most houses. I may be locked away for life for all the music I have dl'ed. I try to keep it to unreleased stuff and stuff I have already purchased. If the feds showed up at my house, I'd feel pretty good about my chances in court
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,349
    the first time I had a visual experience of the was the Touring Band DVD....I don't remember the first time I heard them. Ten came out when I was 4...they've just always been in my life thanks to my dad.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    I was played the album Ten and Nevermind in the sameday by my friends older sister when I was 12 and my life was altered greatly.. but when I finally saw them I was blown away... I cant remember the first time I ever really saw them preform on TV live other then the ALive and Even Flow videos, but the preformance that really got me hooked, and grabed my attention for life was at the MTV awards when they priemered Animal and then Neil Young came out and the hammered through RITFW... to be 12 and relive that moment again for the first time gives me goose bumps just thinking about it
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    The first time I ever saw Pearl Jam, I... was captivated.
    It was also the Jeremy video... my 12 year old mind thought it was so well done and fit the music better than any other video I had seen (besides Thriller of course ;) ). I was hooked right then and there!

My story exactly! Plus, I thought this Mr. Jam was really hot... :roll:
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    My cousin got me to listen to TEN- down in Ft Lauderdale, FL when I was staying there for a summer. At the time, I was into gangsta rap :o:o :shock: :shock:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    ...thought Ed was amazing and intriguing.

...(first time seeing live) I stood on my tip-toes all nite and peeked through a small space to see the band--I was out in the back forty lawn of Alpine Valley--They sounded great and I was thrilled to be there!
    "The answers are fatal..."

"My lips are shakin'....

"And Love,...Wish the world would go again with Love
    One can't seem to have enough."

www.myspace.com/jenlovespearljam
  • Options
    FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 972
    ...I was 6 years old. Being a "90's kid", I of course had my handy Sony Walkman Cassette Player (I wasn't old enough for CDs at age 7, per my parents). I asked my mom to record a tape of songs that were typical for a 7 year old child to listen. You know, your traditional Children's/Disney Channel singalong stuff. My mom decided that for her to stomach the perpetual play that the tape would have, she would have to include something she enjoyed, so she decided to include this new tune called "Given To Fly". When I heard it on my Walkman I was blown away. Honestly, I wasn't even blow away. I don't think it's possible to be blown away at 7. I can't put my finger on what I liked about it. It wasn't the guitars, bass, drums, vocals, or lyrics. I couldn't truly grasp music at age 7, but who can? Hearing Pearl Jam for the first time was just, for a lack of a better term, "love at first earful".

I was surprised on my 7th birthday (in 1998) to receive the Yield album. My dad wasn't too happy about it. As I opened the tri-folded album case, what fell out was even better - two tickets to see Pearl Jam at the Meadows in Hartford. The first time I SAW Pearl Jam was on September 13th, 1998. Barely able to see the stage while standing on my chair, I made out almost every song that was played, amidst the "dancing" in the aisle, which was really angry security and pepper spray. 7 years old. Now I'm here.
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    had received the tickets as an early birthday present. The show was at The Trocadero , Philadelphia, on April 10, 1992.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    the first time i ever "saw" pearl jam, i... was up late late with my cool ass babysitter and saw them play porch on snl. i was 12 i think... i thought they were insane, but awesome. that was the first time i saw them. first time i heard them is a whole nother' story
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    The first time I ever saw Pearl Jam I...was 14 or 15 years old and watching MTV and I saw the video for "Jeremy". I loved the song instantly! I thought Eddie Vedder was the hotest guy ever (and I still do think this even at age 31) and they became my favorite band. I begged my parents to buy me "Ten". I did not own a CD player at the time so they bought me the cassette tape (and I still have it!) soon after that I begged for a CD player and then also got the CD! (was I thrilled) Also, in High School I managed to tape the Jeremy, Alive and Even Flow videos on my parents VCR off of MTV and watched them over and over again!! I also remember watching Pearl Jam on MTV Unplugged (can't wait for the DVD in the Super Deluxe Box Set)!!! Boy do I feel old... :o
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    ...thought the lead singer was HOT!
    i'm pretty sure i can't remember the absolute FIRST time i saw them since i was 2 when pearl jam was born, but i remember the first time i saw the jeremy video. i thought it was so powerful and that the lead singer was super hot.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    ... I ... I ... I saw Temple of the Dog, first, on MTV, singing Hunger Strike. I was nineteen. Then I saw the Alive video. I was determined to get whatever info I could, about the band. I made sure I was at the Esplanade in Southend when they arrived in February 1992.

It only seems like yesterday, to me. There are people on here who weren't even born, then, and that's great.
  • Options
    i'm pretty sure i can't remember the absolute FIRST time i saw them since i was 2 when pearl jam was born, but i remember the first time i saw the jeremy video. i thought it was so powerful and that the lead singer was super hot.

You were 2 years old when Pearl Jam came out??? Holy shit!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I was a freshman in high school!!! You missed the whole 90's grunge era...it was the best time to be a teenager!!
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602
    The first time I ever saw Pearl Jam(live), I... ONLY wanted to see Do The Evolution. (I did) Thank God, cause if I didn't I don't think I would currently be a fan. :) (It was my favorite song and I couldn't stand alot of the others. But now i love every song especially the versions on Holmdel 04. :D )

The first time I ever saw Pearl Jam(not live), I...... I don't think I ever saw them before that show...:D
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    The first time I saw Pearl Jam, they were on the news. Making themselves known in the town I lived in. They (then) had a video on MTV and in it Ed's hair looked almost red.

The first time I went to see them myself, it was much later. We were all the way in Saratoga Springs, NY. :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options

You were 2 years old when Pearl Jam came out??? Holy shit!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I was a freshman in high school!!! You missed the whole 90's grunge era...it was the best time to be a teenager!!

Tell me about it... i was 20 days old. :( I sooooo wish I was 18 in 1990.
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

-eV 8/7
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    I was watching MTV. (remember there was an actual channel way back when that played music videos?)
    i kinda was digging jeremy on the radio and when i saw the video it clinched it. there was something about ed, i couldn't quite put my finger on it.

as for live:

I was thinking 'holy fuck, i've been a fan for 6 six years, and it has taken me this long to see them! it's good to be over 18 and can do what I want now.

so they bought me the cassette tape (and I still have it!)

ha! i wish i still had mine.
    i played it so much the tape snapped.
    FrankieG wrote:
    The first time I ever saw Pearl Jam(live), I... ONLY wanted to see Do The Evolution.

what is it about that song?
    it's the only one my guy really likes.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    when i first saw pearl jam live...i cried during Yellow Ledbetter ;)
  • Options
    FrankieG wrote:
    The first time I ever saw Pearl Jam(live), I... ONLY wanted to see Do The Evolution.

what is it about that song?
    it's the only one my guy really likes.

haha i don't know... it just rocks :D
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS

-eV 8/7