Options

I can tell ED really likes playing this!

SpinbrettSpinbrett Posts: 251
edited February 2008 in The Porch
I love the song "I got ID" What does ID mean? I think it's about a break-up, at least thats what people here say. What is really cool is that Ed seems to really get into it. Is there any more information about this song? Was it personal in manner etc? Well, enjoy this version, I do!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qMyToPVWH9c&feature=related
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Spinbrett wrote:
    I love the song "I got ID" What does ID mean? I think it's about a break-up, at least thats what people here say. What is really cool is that Ed seems to really get into it. Is there any more information about this song? Was it personal in manner etc? Well, enjoy this version, I do!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qMyToPVWH9c&feature=related

The id are your deepest, inner desires:

The term id (inner desire) is a Latinised derivation from Groddeck's das Es,[2] and translates into English as strictly "it". It stands in direct opposition to the super-ego. It is dominated by the pleasure principle.

The mind of a newborn child is regarded as being completely "id-ridden", in the sense that it is a mass of instinctive drives and impulses, and demands immediate satisfaction. This view equates a newborn child with an id-ridden individual—often humorously—with this analogy: an alimentary tract with no sense of responsibility at either end.

The id is responsible for our basic drives such as food, sex, and aggressive impulses. It is amoral and egocentric, ruled by the pleasure–pain principle; it is without a sense of time, completely illogical, primarily sexual, infantile in its emotional development, and will not take "no" for an answer. It is regarded as the reservoir of the libido or "love energy".

Freud divided the id's drives and instincts into two categories: life (Eros) and death (Thanatos) instincts - the latter not so usually regarded because Freud thought of it later in his lifetime. Life instincts are those that are crucial to pleasurable survival, such as eating and copulation. Death instincts, as stated by Freud, are our unconscious wish to die, as death puts an end to the everyday struggles for happiness and survival. Freud noticed the death instinct in our desire for peace and attempts to escape reality through fiction, media, and substances such as alcohol and drugs. It also indirectly represents itself through aggression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superego
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    thanks chick! that was thorough. Is this a song about Ed breaking up with someone?
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Spinbrett wrote:
    thanks chick! that was thorough. Is this a song about Ed breaking up with someone?

It's however you interpret it! :)
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    i got id = best song ever written
  • Options
    I never really saw this as a break-up song, but a song about isolating yourself because you doubt someone would love.