Running speakers in a combo with a separat head?

DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
edited January 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a couple combo amps. One I use regularly(Marshall JVM), one fries fuses(Crate Vintage Club) so the amp itself is worthless, though it had a pretty good sound.

I am wanting to harness the speakers in both combos. My amp head(Egnater Rebel) has 4,8, and 16 ohm outs, I just cant figure out the impedance of the speakers. I seem to remember readin the JVM combos had their speakers wired parallel, so if thats correct, use the 16 ohm? If in series, 8? Am I at least understanding this right?

If it works out good, I may be asking tips on how to take the amp outta the Crate and finish it as a speaker cab.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't know the ohm power BUT, i do know what you're trying to do. Honestly, you can simply use the amp, itself, and adjust the sound. That's what I do. I think it works better, since I can EQ better. Of course, my head is a combo amp and the "cab" is a bass amp so I'm EQing two different sounds.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I am just wanting to disconnect the the speakers in the combo from the amp in the combo, and connect my Egnater head to the speakers in each of the combos, separately.

I found manual for the Crate. It says it has 2 12" 8ohm speakers.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    I am just wanting to disconnect the the speakers in the combo from the amp in the combo, and connect my Egnater head to the speakers in each of the combos, separately.

I found manual for the Crate. It says it has 2 12" 8ohm speakers.
    If you're on Exausted's site, I'd ask ian or someone on there.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy