Options

songs to use as lullabies?

PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
edited January 2009 in The Porch
i just mentioned in another thread that for one of my kids in the future i want to use All Those Yesterdays as a lullaby and that each of my kids would have a different song...any of you who have kids (especially infants) use any particular songs as lullabies?...any of you have ideas for when you have kids?...it doesn't have to be PJ it can be any...

aside from All Those Yesterdays, if i have a girl i want to name her Julia and use Julia by The Beatles as one song...i was also thinking of putting my kids to sleep listening to the entire Dark Side of The Moon album...i can just imagine the dreams they could generate with the soothing melodies of that album...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    Around the Bend - thats an awesome lullaby song!
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Options
    there are cd's you can get that are Lullabye versions of bands... much like the string quartet tributes to bands. The Queens of the Stone Age lullabye cd is so creepy... very creppy, if you want your baby to grow up to be the next Tim Burton you may wanna play that one.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,220
    i just mentioned in another thread that for one of my kids in the future i want to use All Those Yesterdays as a lullaby and that each of my kids would have a different song...any of you who have kids (especially infants) use any particular songs as lullabies?...any of you have ideas for when you have kids?...it doesn't have to be PJ it can be any...

aside from All Those Yesterdays, if i have a girl i want to name her Julia and use Julia by The Beatles as one song...i was also thinking of putting my kids to sleep listening to the entire Dark Side of The Moon album...i can just imagine the dreams they could generate with the soothing melodies of that album...
    Might want to re-think that 'Dark Side Of The Moon' thing... all those alarms going off might wake them up (or get them to ignore alarm clocks when they have to get up to go to school).
    Try 'Echoes' from 'Meddle', instead.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    good night - the beatles

john wrote it as a lullaby... then let ringo sing it.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    There's a particular song in this commercial which is really soothing. 20 second clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO7U29vCY8k
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:

Might want to re-think that 'Dark Side Of The Moon' thing... all those alarms going off might wake them up (or get them to ignore alarm clocks when they have to get up to go to school).
    Try 'Echoes' from 'Meddle', instead.

well i'd probab;y skip over time and money...stick with those really melodic songs like breathe and great gig and brain damage...those songs

and i thought of good night too...

and dude as soon as i heard the song and saw the car i'm like...fuck no i ain't watching this vid again
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    My son (see avatar) is 14 months old and since he was born I have been playing Jack Johnson in his CD player when my wife and I put him to bed. Seems to work well because he sleeps 12 or so hours every night and has been since about 1 month old. Very soothing and relaxing music in my opinion.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    Beautiful Boy by John Lennon

Close your eyes
    Have no fear
    The monsters gone
    Hes on the run and your daddys here

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
    Beautiful boy
    Beautiful boy

Before you go to sleep
    Say a little prayer
    Every day in every way
    Its getting better and better

Beautiful boy
    Beautiful boy

Out on the ocean sailing away
    I can hardly wait
    To see you come of age
    But I guess well both just have to be patient
    cause its a long way to go
    A hard row to hoe
    Yes its a long way to go
    But in the meantime

Before you cross the street
    Take my hand
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans

Beautiful boy
    Beautiful boy

Before you go to sleep
    Say a little prayer
    Every day in every way
    Its getting better and better

Beautiful boy
    Darling, darling, darling
    Darling sean
  • Options
    mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    How about Deep???

JK

umm my kids like MOTH. When my Max was a baby and would get fussy in the car we would put in Ten and he always settled down for Jeremy and Black.
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    You should play your kids "Blood"...it makes a great lullaby!! :P
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    let me sleep
    strangest tribe
    i'm open
    around the bend
    wishlist
    soon forget
    thumbing my way
    parachutes
  • Options
    mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    let me sleep
    strangest tribe
    i'm open
    around the bend
    wishlist
    soon forget
    thumbing my way
    parachutes
    I was listening to Soon Forget one day and my 10 year old daughter asked me what horny meant. I told her to write a letter to Eddie and ask him. :lol:
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    SPJSPJ BRIGANTINE BEACH Posts: 255
    MLK by U2 a song on the Unforgettable Fire album, I used to sing this to my kids when they were babies(many years ago). A very soothing song...a perfect lullaby, check it out
  • Options
    Toad the Wet Sprocket is good chill out music for me.
    Bonnaroo '08
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    parachutes

blood
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    I have a 2 year old son and I've been singing "Black", "Small Town" and "GTF" to him since he was born and he loves them...he's even started to sing the beginning of "Black" with me :mrgreen:

Every time he's in my car he asks for "pearl jam"!
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    Guaranteed
    Society
    Trouble
    Miles from Nowhere
    Blackbird
    i am a patriot

i'll be giving birth in a few weeks and i've been singing these songs to my belly for months!
  • Options
    I'd agree with Dark Side of the Moon, but just edit out the clocks (burn your own copy of the album and use iTunes to start the song late or Audacity to edit the MP3). The rest of Time is soothing. I'd probably also leave out On The Run, it's a little creepy with the laughter...

As for PJ songs, I Am Mine, You Are, All or None, Immortality, Indifference, Nothingman, Elderly Woman, Black, Oceans, Release, Ledbetter are all fairly mellow especially at a low volume. Actually, even Master/Slave... Arc... Foxymophandlemama (jk)... just don't subject the poor kid to Wishlist, lol.
    I'll wait for an angel, but won't hold my breath
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I have a little nephew aged about 4 and a half months. He loves Elderly Woman behind the counter in a small town. My sister, bro-in-law and I have sung it from day one to him, and it really does settle him down.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    parachutes for sure!
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    throw your arms around me the ed and liam finn versions from this past summer were great and melodic
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Options
    i know this is a pj board, but some people have mentioned other artists. on the dixie chicks latest record (the one produced by rick rubin and chad smith plays on), there is a song called lullaby written for their children. it's a very sweet and relaxing song--even for a 38-year-old baby like me. :)
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    JG63592JG63592 Posts: 83
    pj-"sunburn" by mr gossard, "falling down" by mr mccready, and the MOTH demo by mr vedder.

non pj-dan auerbach (the lead singer of the black keys) has a new solo record. two tracks, "when the night comes" and "goin' home" are absolutely brilliant as lullabies, even for adults. enjoy.
    give J Roddy Waslton & the Business a listen, that is all.
  • Options
    wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    Don't you guys forget Off He Goes, that would be a soothing lullaby for sure! :D
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    soon forget?

Or the song eddie played after that on his solo tour?