Egnater Rebel 20

DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
edited February 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Just got this amp, with the matching 1x12 last weekend and wanted to jam it out quite a bit, before I gave it a little review.

I had some reservations about it being a single channel, but I wanted somethin smaller, but could still get pretty nasty, and it seemed to be the best choice. For those that haven't seen this amp. It's variable wattage 1-20w, and it has a tube mix control allowing you to mix 2 types of power tubes, el84s and 6v6s.

I have to say, I am pretty blown away by the sound and most of the features of this amp. Sounds great from clean to what I'll describe as Tool level gain. I have to say the 3 knob eq is a little underwhelming, considering how ridiculously awesome the rest of the amp is. The tight and bright switches really help save the day here.

The tube mix knob, does just as advertised. I keep it right around 1 oclock, but I think this feature would really shine in the studio. I suppose one could switch it up frequently during a gig, but I think that would be a bit overkill.

The wattage knob is pretty nifty. 1,20 and everything in between. Let's ya crank but keep it quiet, and also keep it clean louder. That being this little booger is loud. Hasn't left the 1w setting and I have jammed with a drummer that is about as loud as they get.

Like I said earlier, I had some reservations about the single channel, but I was really lookin for somethin matching the description of the Rebel. Always having the benefit of channel switching, I hadn't delved too far into really using the knobs on my guitars, and I consider myself a Les Paul man :) I did it a bit I just tended to lean on the channel switch. I now regret ignoring them so much. This amp is so sensitive to every little nuance of the controls. I also noticed that things like kickin in a compressor or an od really pop and it was never somethin I picked up on my 50w Marshall, ya know.

If you are looking for a great amp, check this one out. Tons of great sounds. Sooooooooooo versatile. 4,8, and 16 ohm outputs, on the back. Effects loop. Awesome
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thanks Dewie, I have been thinking about getting one of these for a while now. My 65 Bassman is just too loud for my condo and I wanted something with the built-in attenuator so I can keep the volume down and maintain some heavy gain. I have heard some good things about the tube mixing feature, too.
    Thanks again for the info.
  • Guitar Player mag has a review of this amp/cab this month. The reviewer used it for 2 months for gigs and studio work. He loved it, had no complaints at all. He said he was able to dial in a lot of different tones with the tube mix knob and never had a problem with volume on stage.

Good luck with it - sounds like you got a winner.