Options

Worst review of Ten on amazon.com.....

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
edited January 2009 in The Porch
1.0 out of 5 stars Would be good if it wasn't for Eddie Vedder..., January 17, 2009
By WillyMcCabe "x-raymanwilly" (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
Eddie Vedder's constant warbling, quivering vibrato utterly ruins this album. He's sounds like Stevie Nicks with a sex change. These guys would have rocked with a real lead singer. I guess I just don't get the grunge thing. Dress like a bum, act like loser and write songs about how much your life sucks while making thousands of dollars. What a bunch of hypocrites.

What a tool! :roll:
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    OMG...that guy is the KING of douchetown.
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,938
    I'm used to that kind of bad reviews about pj but what really matter is my own opinion, that kind of vibe is just for losers with extra time to waste.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    funnygirlfunnygirl Posts: 529
    First and foremost let's address the whole Stevie Nicks with a sex change thing...I literally can not stand to listen to Stevie Nicks...her voice makes me want to hurl......

Second, why write a review of something that you know nothing about. The Grunge era had nothing to do with being a bum....I was in HS at this time, and this era was about becoming educated socially, politically etc. I think the music of the time reflects the change in the world we are seeing now.

Pearl Jam is a front-runner and always has been in this change and their music has reflected this...We all know this here...Ten- is the album that, for me started it all....EPIC!

PJ's music is not winey...Eddie is NOT winey!!! OMG! Winey singers don't give you goosebumps, they just make you blow chunks!!!!!( i.e.Stevie Nicks) :o:o

Rock Out With Your Cock Out Buddy!!!!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Grunge will probably be looked on like this for another decade or so, until people start rediscovering it en masse like they did and still are with the likes of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    Who care just another jealous writer same guy was raving about creed a few years ago......now where are they?

Scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,363
    I don't get these people.... really. A lot of people that I know just don't like Eddie's voice. I've never been able to get a definitive reason why. I don't care if people don't like it, that's fine, but don't be a douchebag and write a review about a CD that you've probably never been open-minded enough to listen to.
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 714
    eddie sings flat sometimes... maybe thats why, not that it sounds bad.. but alot of musicians out there will tell you it's hard to listen to alot of popular rock out there because of that...

now I dont want anyone to take that to heart because eddie's voice is something unique and he has a great sound.. but I should say there are "snobs" out there that will wonder why a gas station attendant makes millions and not someone who has perfect pitch and has studied music all of their lives to hit the notes that eddie doesn't... just a matter of opinion.

there's also a difference in taste, and not everyone is going to like Pearl Jam... personally I feel as though the band has become one of these still relevent/classic rock bands today and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, when I remember the days when they kicked buttox and alot of people thought they were too hard. you know?

anyone who bashes something like Ten... theres just a lack of good taste there, whether you like the album or not
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    spatspat Posts: 644
    funnygirl wrote:
    First and foremost let's address the whole Stevie Nicks with a sex change thing...I literally can not stand to listen to Stevie Nicks...her voice makes me want to hurl......

Second, why write a review of something that you know nothing about. The Grunge era had nothing to do with being a bum....I was in HS at this time, and this era was about becoming educated socially, politically etc. I think the music of the time reflects the change in the world we are seeing now.

Pearl Jam is a front-runner and always has been in this change and their music has reflected this...We all know this here...Ten- is the album that, for me started it all....EPIC!

PJ's music is not winey...Eddie is NOT winey!!! OMG! Winey singers don't give you goosebumps, they just make you blow chunks!!!!!( i.e.Stevie Nicks) :o:o

amen sister! but i think the attitude that guy has about pearl jam and grunge in general are OLD. get over it and realize pj and eddie have talent and staying power. and i had to laugh at "thousands of dollars"! yes, pearl jam are thousandaires thanks to TEN.
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Options
    funnygirlfunnygirl Posts: 529
    Yeah...I think it is funny that people see PJ as this "Grunge Band" ....Okay they started out in that era, yes, look how they have evolved!!! Last Kiss is played on almost every station on regular rotation (well, except hip hop stations) Personally, I love the grunge chapter of PJ's life...but chapters 2,3,4,5 etc are really good reads...Its getting better all the time............ :D
  • Options
    The "constant, warbling vibrato" bit is pure copy & paste from some of the Pitchfork "reviews." This guy can't even smear originally.

Cincinnati, Columbus 2000
    Baltimore 2013
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    You know that a high-pitched, characterless whine is essential for an indie hipster sensibility, don't you? ;)
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Sorry, but I think reviews like this are hilarious.

I love reading them.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    funnygirl wrote:

Was it not Nirvana?