Need Help With Tubes and Speakers

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,136
edited February 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Alright guys, new year...so I'm gonna start getting back into playing. For the people who've been here a while I'm open to your suggestions. I've forgotten a lot of terminology and stuff with tubes and amp language so bare with me, haha.

Alright I got my old Traynor YCV40-WR (got back in 05). I remember I switched the pre-amp tubes once since I got them, don't really remember what I put in. What route should I go? I heard JJ's for power, I have no idea what JJ's are. What about new pre-amps too? I'm lookin for the option of having the same clean tone I had, but I want to upgrade the tubes. The clean tone was a Fender like tone. How about a speaker? I LOVED when the Vintage-30 broke in, it was gorgeous, I think I'm just going to replace it.
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• First question: Is there something wrong with your current tubes? Also, if you already have a Vintage 30, why are you looking for a new speaker?

I've pretty much always used Sovtek/Electro Harmonix tubes for my stuff, so I guess I can't help you on the tubes much. I know JJ's are really popular in an EL-84 tube type, and highly rated for EL-34 tube type. I know that Mullards are really well-rated preamp tubes, especially for a British-voice amp. I know the Traynors vary between a Marshall-esque sound and a Fender-ish tone, so depending on what your amp is closer to...

My long-term view on speakers is that a Vintage 30 is the among the most transparent speakers out there. A V30 typically makes your amp just sound like your amp. There are other speakers that do some stuff better, or accentuate some frequencies and hide others, so if you're trying to "help" the sound of your amp, then there are other speakers.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I'm not too familiar with the particular Traynor amp you have, but from some of the reviews I've read, your best bet would be the JJs. I re-tubed my '66 Bassman (6l6-GC's) with a complete JJ set and I have been thrilled with the results. I had tried more expensive tubes in the past and always felt like there was something "wrong" with the tone I was getting. Maybe it was just a lucky match for my amp, but I can't say enough about the JJs.
    btw JJ tubes are the same as the old Tesla tubes. Just a different name. DSC05708-1-1.jpg As far as the speaker... unless you blew the V30 that's in there, you shouldn't have to touch that one for many years to come. I think the retube will bring your tone back to life and (I'm guessing) you'll remember why you used to love the amp so much. Cheers! -Kevin