Do you have a modulation pedal-type you favour?

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Posts: 12,223
edited February 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
I mean, do you find yourself leaving that big cheesy chorus pedal on, quite a bit more than other guitarists would? Whereas flangers are a one-trick-pony for some guitarists, do you ride that thang liberally? Are you a univiber who thinks phasers sound cheesy and one-dimensional, or a phaser-er who thinks most univibes sound like a messed up phaser? (And yes, okay, so a vibe is a phaser, but ya know what I mean.) Or do you go with loads of leslie?

Or are you an all-things-in-modulation-moderation person. Come on, you must have a fave you go overboard with, at the occasional expense of good taste. 8-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You've seen my board, Fins...it's insane.

I used to use my chorus a LOT. I still do. I thought my phaser was my sound, kinda-like a signature. I've stopped putting it in songs, though. I think effects in general are my favorite.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    as a bassist, I don't use as many effects as guitarists do. But I use a compressor, an equalizer and sometimes a chorus or the electro-harmonix bassballs. I still need to buy a good distortion or fuzz
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I have taken my phasers, flangers and chorus pedals out of my setup for a while, but I know they wll return triumphantly soon enough.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Rotovibe and before that the Chopper. I have a thing for speed control rocker, apparently.
  • Julien wrote:
    as a bassist, I don't use as many effects as guitarists do. But I use a compressor, an equalizer and sometimes a chorus or the electro-harmonix bassballs. I still need to buy a good distortion or fuzz
    Our bassist uses the BOSS Bass overdrive, a BOSS TR-2 Tremolo(for chorus), and EBS Octabass, and a DigiTech Hyper Phase. He's interested in an EQ pedal (he's had his eyes on the MXR ten band EQ). What would you recommend for him?
    Our bassist uses the BOSS Bass overdrive, a BOSS TR-2 Tremolo(for chorus), and EBS Octabass, and a DigiTech Hyper Phase. He's interested in an EQ pedal (he's had his eyes on the MXR ten band EQ). What would you recommend for him?

I'm not a fan of the boss bass overdrive. I'm thinking about the bass big muff or the EBS multidrive.

The EQ I use is the Boss EQ20 (the double pedal). It's for guitar and bass. It's just perfect. I had the Boss GEB-7 before but the good point with the EQ 20 is that you have 9 pre-recorded equalizations. You don't have to research the sound you want after each song...

PS: i'll have a listen to the Boss TR-2...
  • Thanks for the help. I'll suggest the BOSS EQ's to him.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    im definately a univibe and a rotovibe freak head. :twisted:
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • kigcat wrote:
    im definately a univibe and a rotovibe freak head. :twisted:
    I feel ya on that one
  • I've always preferred a more subtle modulation... I like my Phase 90 at slow- to medium speeds, and my Tremolo for general clean-tone color. I don't like the warble from fast mod, like chorus, vibe, or even fast trem/phase.

As for a bass overdrive/distortion, I know lots of guys have liked the Bass Big Muff. But the end-all bass distortion is the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver. Jeff has always used them (in fact, he usually has 2 on his board, for 2 different voices). And I know some guys have had good luck with the DigiTech Bad Monkey overdrive.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    As for a bass overdrive/distortion, I know lots of guys have liked the Bass Big Muff. But the end-all bass distortion is the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver. Jeff has always used them (in fact, he usually has 2 on his board, for 2 different voices). And I know some guys have had good luck with the DigiTech Bad Monkey overdrive.
    thanks for the tips. i'll have a look
  • CB206820CB206820 Posts: 105
    I love my Rotovibe!
  • CB206820 wrote:
    I love my Rotovibe!
    Mod it!
  • CB206820CB206820 Posts: 105
    CB206820 wrote:
    I love my Rotovibe!
    Mod it!
    How???
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    CB206820 wrote:
    CB206820 wrote:
    I love my Rotovibe!
    Mod it!
    How???

+1
  • Lemme know how it turns out
  • nope. other than wah and distortion i rarely use anything else. i have a chorus pedal but its not used much and a phaser i dont even have hooked up anymore.
  • nope. other than wah and distortion i rarely use anything else. i have a chorus pedal but its not used much and a phaser i dont even have hooked up anymore.
    What type of phaser/wah/chorus do you have?
  • i have the cool-cat chorus, and i like it well enough. the um boss ph-2??? phaser i think. and a morley volume/wah/distortion. the distortion on it is terrible, but it was the first pedal i bought and a 3in1 was a great deal. im looking to get a vox wah cause morley isnt my style.
  • i have the cool-cat chorus, and i like it well enough. the um boss ph-2??? phaser i think. and a morley volume/wah/distortion. the distortion on it is terrible, but it was the first pedal i bought and a 3in1 was a great deal. im looking to get a vox wah cause morley isnt my style.
    How do you like your Dano chorus?

yeah its pretty decent, since im not a huge chorus user i dont think im gonna upgrade to whatever the elite brand is. have you used them before, how does it compare to most? to the better ones?

i really like the dan-echo so it was more that pedal was awesome, maybe the chorus will be good too.

yeah its pretty decent, since im not a huge chorus user i dont think im gonna upgrade to whatever the elite brand is. have you used them before, how does it compare to most? to the better ones?

i really like the dan-echo so it was more that pedal was awesome, maybe the chorus will be good too.
    I was VERY close to buying a Dan echo but it's too clean of a delay for me. I'm looking for a messy analog one.
    As for the chorus, I have never played the Cool Cat. I did have the Milkshake mini from Dano that sounded AMAZING. I have an Ice Box DOD chorus, though, that sounds nice. I'm positive your Cool Cat sounds awesome, though