Looking to set up a home studio

benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
edited January 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi everyone,
Was wondering whether anyone knows either the M-Audio MobilePre USB, or the M-Audio Nova.. respectively a USB-powered pre-amp, and an affordable condenser mic. I've got a MacBook Pro that I'd like to give recording a try on... I'll be recording mainly blues, acoustic tracks, and of course, Pearl Jam covers. If anyone knows of other good-quality budget USB pre-amps or condenser mics, that would be a great help as well. Thanks!
'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've had a little more experience with the DigiDesign MBox variety, as well as the software that goes along with them, ProTools LE. I've heard okay things about the M-Audio stuff, mostly that it's a decent interface for the price, but the mic preamps are so-so. The MBox is definitely a step up in quality, although it's pretty much the same features. I guess it depends... if you want ProTools, I'd get the MBox. If you want some other software, go ahead with the M-Audio.

As for cheap condenser mics, I've always liked the MXL mics. VERY affordable, and pretty good sound. The best part is that a lot of recording noobies seem to get good results out of them. If you're recording acoustic guitar, you can use either a small-diaphram condenser or a large-diaphram condenser. For vocals, a large-diaphram is usually the way to go (I'd also recommend getting a vocal pop filter, they're only like $20). For electric guitar, there are some other options... usually, the first mic to get is a Shure SM57, although the Audix i5 and Sennheiser e609 are starting to eat away at the 57's market share. I'd still go with a 57, but I'll admit that the e609 is easier to use.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    I've had a little more experience with the DigiDesign MBox variety, as well as the software that goes along with them, ProTools LE. I've heard okay things about the M-Audio stuff, mostly that it's a decent interface for the price, but the mic preamps are so-so. The MBox is definitely a step up in quality, although it's pretty much the same features. I guess it depends... if you want ProTools, I'd get the MBox. If you want some other software, go ahead with the M-Audio.

As for cheap condenser mics, I've always liked the MXL mics. VERY affordable, and pretty good sound. The best part is that a lot of recording noobies seem to get good results out of them. If you're recording acoustic guitar, you can use either a small-diaphram condenser or a large-diaphram condenser. For vocals, a large-diaphram is usually the way to go (I'd also recommend getting a vocal pop filter, they're only like $20). For electric guitar, there are some other options... usually, the first mic to get is a Shure SM57, although the Audix i5 and Sennheiser e609 are starting to eat away at the 57's market share. I'd still go with a 57, but I'll admit that the e609 is easier to use.
    Thanks for the advice... I actually was considering the MBox, however, I'm a first-year university student, and for the time being I'd like to take my time at progressing up to ProTools. I've decided to go for the Shure SM57 for the amps, M-Audio Nova for vocals, and M-Audio MobilePre USB, and then if I like it, I'll spend the $130 or whatever it is for ProTools M-Powered edition. If all that works out, I have little doubt that I'll decide to binge on the MBox 2 Factory, it seems to be great value. The fact that my dad's a dealer for Shure, M-Audio, and DigiDesign makes spending money on these things a little easier too :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1