First timer looking for an acoustic guitar.

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
edited October 2009 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yo guys

After my friend got a guitar for xmas and i told him to learn Keep on Rockin and he pretty much learnt it in 10-20 minutes i really want to get an acoustic guitar but i dont have a fucking clue what to look at.

So many badass acoustic songs i want to play, i dream of being able to play Mayonaise!

Bare in mind i'm in the UK.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I really like the brands Art & Lutherie, and Simon & Patrick. These guitars are made in Canada, but as I recall, they are sold in England as well. They're rather affordable, and are high-quality, easy to play, and sound good (in fact, I was playing an Art & Lutherie guitar today, sounded great!).

Perhaps some of our Euro friends will have a better idea of what guitars are available there.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I got a great one in a Fender starter pack. Get different strings, though.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    My friend said to make sure to get steel strings rather than some other type.
  • Generally, I'd say stick with steel-string (which means any metal string; they're really a steel core with a bronze wrap). The nylon string guitars can be a little easier at first, just because it's easier to bend the strings to the frets. But using steel strings will develop your finger strength, speed, dexterity, etc.
  • I agree with sticking to steel strings, unless you plan on learning classical guitar.
    My first guitar was a Hohner and it has served me well. I still have it 9 years later and it still sounds good, despite me not taking good care of it.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=4850

i've got this one... its a proper Fender... its nice and cheap... only £60-70 depending on delivery... so if you dont keep at it you wont have lost too much.

http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/product ... p?PID=2383
    natural

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop/flyp ... paign=base

sunburst one
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:

i've got this one... its a proper Fender... its nice and cheap... only £60-70 depending on delivery... so if you dont keep at it you wont have lost too much.

natural

sunburst one

Good call. It's "entry-level" but not bad at all.

(Awaits pun on "entry-level")
  • Among all the recommendations already made, you can check Cort guitars and especially the Earth serie.
    They are making good entry-level guitars. I started with a Cort Earth 100 which was around 200€ (so 200£ nowadays). The Earth 70 model is cheaper though but still worth it.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    I really like the brands Art & Lutherie, and Simon & Patrick. These guitars are made in Canada, but as I recall, they are sold in England as well. They're rather affordable, and are high-quality, easy to play, and sound good (in fact, I was playing an Art & Lutherie guitar today, sounded great!).

Perhaps some of our Euro friends will have a better idea of what guitars are available there.
    And if you can afford a little more - Art & Lutherie is owned by a company called Godin Guitars, which makes a slightly higher-end guitar called Seagull Guitars. It's a beautiful and excellent-sounding guitar, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anything made by them - I have two.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    dunkman wrote:

natural

sunburst one

Good call. It's "entry-level" but not bad at all.

(Awaits pun on "entry-level")

its pretty cheap and it has the brightest sound. It's defintely entry level...

no puns :|
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I'm a beginner and I have a Washburn D10S.
    I don't think it's bad to start with!
  • i've had one since christmas 2006

just don't know how to play

someone tell me ;)
  • Lucifer wrote:
    i've had one since christmas 2006

just don't know how to play

someone tell me ;)

You put your left hand *here*, and strum 3 times, then move your left hand *here*, and strum two times, and then move your left hand *here*, and strum 3 times....

That's "Louie, Louie."

In all honesty, I learned from reading tabs and playing along to songs I know. If you've never been introduced to tab, GivenToWail has a GREAT tutorial on their FAQ page:
    http://www.giventowail.com/faq.php#1.1
    Once you know tab, you can find tab sites online, or just do Google searches for "Song X Tab". Beyond that, learning how to tune your guitar is the hardest part (go buy a $15 digital tuner and have them show you how to use it!).
  • Taylor 214...hands down best beginner guitar for the dollars............
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
    Taylor 214...hands down best beginner guitar for the dollars............

shouldnt have wasted your time replying to this...

i hate it when someone starts a thread asking for some advice and then never even fucking responds to the people who have put in some effort to help the guy.
  • dunkman wrote:
    Taylor 214...hands down best beginner guitar for the dollars............

shouldnt have wasted your time replying to this...

i hate it when someone starts a thread asking for some advice and then never even fucking responds to the people who have put in some effort to help the guy.

Oh, well, what can ya do? :roll:
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    Jasmine A/E by Takemine.
    i still play mine all the time.
    sounds great & it's great for gigs.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • SpagsSpags Posts: 3,031
    mfc2006 wrote:
    Jasmine A/E by Takemine.
    i still play mine all the time.
    sounds great & it's great for gigs.

I think they're around £300 in the UK.

I've had my Epiphone G400 for a while now and while I feel I've improved with soloing and chords (albeit at a very slow pace as I've had no teaching), I'm keen to pick up an entry level acoustic that I can pick away at and get my strumming in better shape.

Any other recommendations, that Fender sounds like a great price?! Tempted to looking into a ukulele tbh...anybody have experience of these?
    Nature drunk and High
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Alvarez. Great value. Work your way up to a Yairi. That's what I did.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • My suggestion would be to rent for a bit or get something cheap. Take some time to try out the instrument and see if you like it. I only say that because it will give you a better idea of how well you will actually like playing and whether you think it will become a long-term hobby for you.

While you may think right now that you will be playing for many years to come, that can change and it therefore doesn't make sense to buy something expensive right now. However if you do enjoy playing and end up continuing on with it, an entry-level guitar could quickly get in the way of your playing. You could find yourself rapidly buying something nicer and more expensive.

One of the first mistakes I made many years ago when buying my first acoustic was to go with a mid-level guitar ($350 or so) It was more expensive than an entry-level guitar but was not nice enough to last as my main acoustic years later. When I quickly fell in love with guitar, the mid-level got in the way of my playing and sounded quite bad. I soon upgraded, but felt bad that I had dished out $350 for my first guitar.

So like other people have said, get something cheap, but something that will work. It doesn't need to sound great, but it should be good enough to allow you to determine whether or not you like playing guitar. And definitely go steel-string. Nylon strings really should only be used for specific types of guitar playing/music. They have their place, but they are not nearly as versatile as steel strings.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • I picked up a Taylor Big Baby as my first acoustic guitar. I swear, hands down, one of the best guitars ever made. Taylor guitars are some of the best quality guitars in the world. Trust me, they're even better than Gibson or Fender. I like to promote them because I love their guitars! Plus, if you make it out to Southern CA, you can take a free tour!

The Big Baby is your best bet and it's reasonable in price!!!
  • Taylor 214...hands down best beginner guitar for the dollars............
    Yeah I have to admit it is a pretty nice sounding guitar! For almost the same price I'll go with my Breedlove Atlas Stage Series D25/SR. It sounds great both plugged in and full acoustic. The basic reason I bought it was because it is basically the Breedlove version of the Gibson Songwriter Deluxe which I also own. If you can afford a slightly expensive guitar I'd go with a Songwriter. You can easily find a used model for about 1000 and it really is worth its price. but if not I would recommend the Breedlove Atlas or Taylor 214.
    Run and tell the angels that everything is awwwwrigghhtttt...-Dave Grohl, Wembley Stadium
    If it's illegal to rock and roll, throw my ass in jail! -Kurt Cobain
  • Why did u tell us about ur friend? no offense but it was pointless.. anyways, look at yamaha's. fairly inexpensive and good sound. go down to your local guitar shop and start messin around on a few and get a feel of what you like