Who's part of the Vegetarian/Vegan crew?

CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
So who else is vegetarian / vegan on the board?
:P

(I know some of you want to say you're part of the peta "people eating tasty animals" crew - thank you for refraining)
ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
*NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
*MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
*Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
*Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
*Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
*VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
*EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
*Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I'm a veggie. I would like to go vegan, but that is difficult where I live if you eat out. And I don't know if I can give up ice cream and cheese for good. I don't eat a lot of it now, but the thought of permanently giving it up is hard.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Yeah, I'm ovo-lacto myself. Not so much on the ovo part, but the cheese and ice cream are two very hard things to give up. I have a ton of respect for those who make it to vegan. I think we're helping a lot too being regular veggie though. :)
  • I'm a vegetarian practically all my life.

The reason is simple, I don't have a great moral philosophy behind it - I never liked the taste of meat. I do love animals and consequently it gives me a good feeling.
    When I was a child my parents try to force me to at least swallow a piece of meat, but I could sit for hours behind the kitchen table and wouldn't give in. Also, I was an expert of hiding meat inside other food or inside napkins etc..Then at some point my parents just gave up.
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022 

• jecicajecica Posts: 954
    I am for a couple years now. Love it and so glad I stopped eating meat. I still do dairy too.

I had a horrible KFC habit..
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    I can understand vegetarianism, but vegan just seems nuts to me. So unhealthy.
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Im a vegetarian. I like how PETA isn't pushing there views on anyone, just kind of presenting info. made me think. I've eaten meat my entire life and then it just kind of hit me...now I don't.

don't think I could go vegan, food needs to taste at least decent.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I'm not but i totally respect it. I was kinda considering it, but I doubt I ever will. It would be hard considering I HATE tomatoes haha.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    Vegetarian living in Texas. I feel soooo alone. Meat is very big here, and I mean that literally and figuratively.
    I feel better not eating meat. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that changing my eating habits to a meatless routine while still getting proper nutrition has made me stop and think about what specific ingredients I'm putting into my body. I don't know if it's not eating the meat or just being more aware that has made the difference, but I'll sure take it.
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    I'm not but i totally respect it. I was kinda considering it, but I doubt I ever will. It would be hard considering I HATE tomatoes haha.

Same here. I'm not but respect it. I do love some good veggie meals. A good friend of mine is vegetarian and when we're together, I stick to veggie meals. It's too stressful for him to have to think about how to cook meat, etc. Just easier on him. I don't think I could give up meat for ever though..... :)

and forgive me if this is a double post...I think I hit save draft and it went into oblivion....so I retyped it! getting used to this new board....
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    I am, have been for 9 years. Unfortunately I'm lazy and not a very good cook, and am really more of a Junk Fooditarian :P , but I'm trying to get myself to eat healthier.
  • jecicajecica Posts: 954
    rockpants wrote:
    I am, have been for 9 years. Unfortunately I'm lazy and not a very good cook, and am really more of a Junk Fooditarian :P , but I'm trying to get myself to eat healthier.

Buy yourself a rice cooker. You can't get any lazier than that and you get some really nutritious meals out of it.
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    jecica wrote:
    rockpants wrote:

Buy yourself a rice cooker. You can't get any lazier than that and you get some really nutritious meals out of it.

I got one for Xmas, actually! We had a delayed celebration due to the weather, so I only got it recently. I just bought some rice (one small bag of white & brown each, and a big jug of wild rice) and will be using it for the first time for lunch today. It's the perfect size for me, too. A little 3-cupper.

Someone mentioned above that they hate tomatoes? As do I (I love ketchup, though.) I also can't handle onions 'cause they make my throat feel funny, pickles are gross to me, and I can only deal with mushrooms in small doses - the flavour is alright, it's the texture that grosses me out. It does make things more expensive and difficult when the restaurants charge you fully for your veggie burger even though you've asked them to hold everything but the lettuce/mayo/"special sauce" and cheese (I tell myself it becomes a "convenience charge" for them to fix it my way), but thems the breaks when one's palette is as picky as mine.
    I wish my taste buds would co-operate with the world at large, but they opted to be big rebels and stick it to the man. Take that, water chestnuts!
  • I've been vegan for about 7 or 8 years now. It's ridiculously easy once you get into it.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• iamsam_pjiamsam_pj Posts: 300
    i have been for the past 5 years. sometimes i get stuck in a food rut, so i'm trying to be more adventurous with my cooking. if i don't bring my lunch to work, i usually just end up eating pizza...boo!
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Keiran wrote:
    Vegetarian living in Texas. I feel soooo alone. Meat is very big here, and I mean that literally and figuratively.
    I feel better not eating meat. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that changing my eating habits to a meatless routine while still getting proper nutrition has made me stop and think about what specific ingredients I'm putting into my body. I don't know if it's not eating the meat or just being more aware that has made the difference, but I'll sure take it.
    I know exactly what that's like. I"m in Idaho. I think everyone one of my friends shot a deer this year. when I tell them I am vegetarian they haven't the slightest idea why someone would do that. esp my dad.

but I feel better in the morning, I'm more clear. and I'm not eating my friends. :)
  • You guys all still vegetarians??
    Anybody switch teams later in life?

My wife is a vegetarian. I always wonder if I could do it. I doubt it. But I feel guilty all the time because she's always eating well and there I am killing animals and killing myself with sloppy shit, covered in shit sauce, dipped in shit. But i've gotten better. The wife has really changed me for the better, and luckily, she never tries to force anything on me or try to persuade me to change teams.

Another tough call is that we want to have children soon and she wants to raise them vegetarian. If my boy is gonna have a shot at the big leagues I think i want him eating meat. If its a girl, feed her whatever grass you can find :P ...haha
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    I'm still vegetarian. Have been since.... hmm... math... about 22 years now.

If you want to try vegetarianism, find a solid 8 days you're willing to just do it. If you say "I'll try it" and mix it in with eating meat, its kinda like trying to switch to diet coke, while still drinking regular coke. It doesn't work as your taste buds are constantly reminded of the differences. You need for your brain to crave vegetarian stuff instead of meat, and I firmly believe that if you go 8 days without having any, then you have a huge potential of being able to continue it, and do so happily. You may find yourself having to think more deliberately about where to eat out, but aside from that it's fairly easy.

There are SO many fake meats out there that my body craves that I don't miss meat at all. Plenty of things to put sauces on and make messy too. If you miss plain chicken mixed in meals, find Quorn in the freezer section, or Morningstar Farms "meal starters" with seasoned Chic'n strips. If you miss breaded chicken, Morningstar Farms "Chik'n Patties". If you miss hot dogs, Morningstar Farms Veggie Dogs in the freezer section (though they make them smaller now). If you miss breakfast sausages, Morningstar Farms Sausage Patties (don't try the links though). Yves makes great bologna. I'm a vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables.... so it CAN be done!

Give it a try. Its only 8 days. See if you can do it! What else do you have to do this week anyway? :)
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    I'm still vegetarian. Have been since.... hmm... math... about 22 years now.

If you want to try vegetarianism, find a solid 8 days you're willing to just do it. If you say "I'll try it" and mix it in with eating meat, its kinda like trying to switch to diet coke, while still drinking regular coke. It doesn't work as your taste buds are constantly reminded of the differences. You need for your brain to crave vegetarian stuff instead of meat, and I firmly believe that if you go 8 days without having any, then you have a huge potential of being able to continue it, and do so happily. You may find yourself having to think more deliberately about where to eat out, but aside from that it's fairly easy.

There are SO many fake meats out there that my body craves that I don't miss meat at all. Plenty of things to put sauces on and make messy too. If you miss plain chicken mixed in meals, find Quorn in the freezer section, or Morningstar Farms "meal starters" with seasoned Chic'n strips. If you miss breaded chicken, Morningstar Farms "Chik'n Patties". If you miss hot dogs, Morningstar Farms Veggie Dogs in the freezer section (though they make them smaller now). If you miss breakfast sausages, Morningstar Farms Sausage Patties (don't try the links though). Yves makes great bologna. I'm a vegetarian who doesn't like vegetables.... so it CAN be done!

Give it a try. Its only 8 days. See if you can do it! What else do you have to do this week anyway? :)

Cool thanks Hoff... I do get the morningstars. I like the grillers and I even like the links actually. I'll never eat real sausage again.
    I've been thinking about doing it for a week just to see if I can. It will be tough because I dont have a very regular schedule and I do eat out quite a bit. Im also pretty big, so it takes a lot to fill me up. (no "thats what she said" jokes please :lol: ). I've mostly cut out red meat, but I eat a lot of chicken and fish. But my wife is pretty creative, and I must say that you can still have pizza and burritos and some fun stuff, so its possible.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    CJMST3K wrote:
    What else do you have to do this week anyway? :)

well, there is that steak in the fridge
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,799
    I could never.
    But I do try to have at least two meat free days each week. Usually involves a tofu dish and fried rice or lentils.

The morningstar products are pretty good. Love the BBQ riblet. Vegetarian McRIb!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I haven't had red meat or pork in like 16 years. I've done 4-6 month streaks of vegetarianism and its quite easy for me. I eat bird and fish...maybe once a week. I've been considering switching over for a while...we'll see.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Unless it's pizza i want something dead on my plate every night, it could be human, i don't care.

Cool thanks Hoff... I do get the morningstars. I like the grillers and I even like the links actually. I'll never eat real sausage again.
    I've been thinking about doing it for a week just to see if I can. It will be tough because I dont have a very regular schedule and I do eat out quite a bit. Im also pretty big, so it takes a lot to fill me up. (no "thats what she said" jokes please :lol: ). I've mostly cut out red meat, but I eat a lot of chicken and fish. But my wife is pretty creative, and I must say that you can still have pizza and burritos and some fun stuff, so its possible.

Fair enough. Here's a few places that offer substitutions or vegetarian faux meat items (though some might cook on same grill):

Johnny Rockets has a veggie burger
    Subway's (most) have Veggie Patty (made by morningstar)
    Taco Bell (just say "beans instead of meat" on anything)
    Mexican Restaurants (see taco bell)
    Burger King should still have its BK Veggie Burger
    Whole Foods often has faux meat things in their meat case, like faux gen tso's chicken.
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    Fair enough. Here's a few places that offer substitutions or vegetarian faux meat items (though some might cook on same grill):

Johnny Rockets has a veggie burger
    Subway's (most) have Veggie Patty (made by morningstar)
    Taco Bell (just say "beans instead of meat" on anything)
    Mexican Restaurants (see taco bell)
    Burger King should still have its BK Veggie Burger
    Whole Foods often has faux meat things in their meat case, like faux gen tso's chicken.

Thanks for these.. I went to dinner at a vegetarian place called Darbster in West Plam Beach this past weekend, and my friend who I was with, was very inspired by the food, and he suggested a friendly bet to see how long each of us could go as a vegetarian. I start today after lunch.
    Unless it's pizza i want something dead on my plate every night, it could be human, i don't care.

:lol: human! Im staying out of the NY area!
    even with pizza, I like some meat usually.