Options

Saw Matt Today!

RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
edited June 2008 in The Porch
I was sitting wih my wife on a NYC subway earlier today. I looked up at a stop and Matt Cameron and his two daughters walked in! He looked over at me, as I was pointing him out to my wife, and smiled.

I totally wanted to ask him to take a picture with us, but he had his daughters with him so we didn't want to bother him.

Anyway, it was awesome to see him. We got off at the same stop. They went into the museum of natural history. My wife and I headed to central park.

So, that was it...but it was definitely a cool experience. I am super excited for tonight's show!
Cheers!
Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Cool story, nice to hear for a change fans who don't go bonkers and try to get in the way of a family outing when they see a celebrity.
    Jw
  • Options
    woundedorganwoundedorgan Posts: 607
    cheers...good shit for not bugging him
    God Loves Pearl Jam
  • Options
    bossman3188bossman3188 Posts: 263
    thats wonderful and its great that you respected him and his family. i know a lot of other jokers on this board would have freaked and asked for autographs or pictures but those type of people are just losers

lol have fun at the concert!
    there'll be time for laughin'
    there's no time to cry
    soon i will be leavin'
    look me in the eye
    no matter what's in front of me
    it's your face that i'll see
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    He didn't throw a drumstick at you ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969

That just made me LOL!!! :D:p
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    That just made me LOL!!! :D:p

;)

How was your flight home ?

• Options
    ;)

How was your flight home ?

Sad. :( I just wanted to be back on the East Coast. It was soooo awesome meeting you and the Mrs!! :)

• Options
    Sad. :( I just wanted to be back on the East Coast. It was soooo awesome meeting you and the Mrs!! :)

Just move here !! :)

Yeah...Friday was awesome..meeting people and the show rocked !

I'm kicking myself for not getting MSG tix

• Options
    Just move here !! :)

I'm kicking myself for not getting MSG tix

The thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

And, yeah, you definitely should've gone to MSG!

• Options
    The thought has crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

And, yeah, you definitely should've gone to MSG!

You can start tawking with that cool accent ;)

Next Tour I'm going to MSG !

• Options
    Jwmcc wrote:
    Cool story, nice to hear for a change fans who don't go bonkers and try to get in the way of a family outing when they see a celebrity.
    Jw

It was hard and I feel like I missed an opportunity, but at he same time, I feel good about it. It was just cool to see him hanging out and enjoying the day.
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • Options
    grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    Rhyno wrote:
    It was hard and I feel like I missed an opportunity, but at he same time, I feel good about it. It was just cool to see him hanging out and enjoying the day.

Had a similar experience with Mike in Philly. Prior to the second show my wife and I were walking around Independence Hall. She grabbed my arm and said, "Oh my word, is that Mike?" Sure enough, he was video taping his daughter while his wife and another younger looking female helped her walk.

We decided not to bother him because he was with his family. It would have been cool to talk and shake his hand but I feel like we made a good decision. It was cool just to see him though.
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    You guys absolutely did the right thing. Now, if they were alone that would be another story.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
    RockMama wrote:
    You guys absolutely did the right thing. Now, if they were alone that would be another story.

I'm hoping he is alone the next time I run into him on the street :)
  • Options
    peachykeenpeachykeen NY Posts: 108
    cool! you definitely did the right thing letting him be with his family. i'm suppose to go do sight seeing with my cousin in the city tomorrow maybe i'll have some luck like that as well! and maybe i'll be able to score a ticket to the show tomorrow night! aaaaaaaaaaa -dee
    *If I had known then what I know now*

199xxx
  • Options
    grjammer wrote:
    I'm hoping he is alone the next time I run into him on the street :)

That sounds vaguely threatening. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Rhyno wrote:
    I was sitting wih my wife on a NYC subway earlier today. I looked up at a stop and Matt Cameron and his two daughters walked in! He looked over at me, as I was pointing him out to my wife, and smiled.

I totally wanted to ask him to take a picture with us, but he had his daughters with him so we didn't want to bother him.

Anyway, it was awesome to see him. We got off at the same stop. They went into the museum of natural history. My wife and I headed to central park.

So, that was it...but it was definitely a cool experience. I am super excited for tonight's show!
    You know... there's nothing wrong with saying, "Hi Matt." Or as you exited the train saying something like, "See you at the gig tonight."
    I'm pretty sure the wife and kids understand that he's in a band with a pretty big fanbase.
    But, it was the right call to make about not doing the picture/autograph thing... that would have been intrusive.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Cosmo wrote:
    You know... there's nothing wrong with saying, "Hi Matt." Or as you exited the train saying something like, "See you at the gig tonight."
    I'm pretty sure the wife and kids understand that he's in a band with a pretty big fanbase.
    But, it was the right call to make about not doing the picture/autograph thing... that would have been intrusive.

Like several PJ fans like to do, he/she should have exposed their musical ignorance by telling Matt he can't drum as well as Jack or Dave...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Your demonstration of the awesomeness of your restraint is wonderful and to be congratulated. He recognized you, you recognized him, and on you went.

Your karma can only go up from here!

Neat! (But what the heck is he doin on the subway! Like he doesn't have a hotel towncar at his disposal? Too cool!!! This band is just too cool!)
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Like several PJ fans like to do, he/she should have exposed their musical ignorance by telling Matt he can't drum as well as Jack or Dave...
    That's funny!!!
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    You lucky bastard. I hate to pick favorites but Matt is the one id wanna meet the most other than ed.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    I talked to Ed backstage at Columbia and was kickin myself for not getting a pic with him. He was with a guy who worked the venue. I shook his hand and said "Whats up Eddie" "Bonnaroo set blew my fucking mind" he laughed and said Thank you. It was a couple of minutes before he went on stage with KOL. In my case I shoulda asked for a pic huh???
  • Options
    I talked to Ed backstage at Columbia and was kickin myself for not getting a pic with him. He was with a guy who worked the venue. I shook his hand and said "Whats up Eddie" "Bonnaroo set blew my fucking mind" he laughed and said Thank you. It was a couple of minutes before he went on stage with KOL. In my case I shoulda asked for a pic huh???
    No. From the few times I've met Ed... he does not like pictures. I've seen him take 2 or 3... but, very reluctantly.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
    Rhyno wrote:

Good job,,,it had to be hard, but I really admire you're respect for his privacy!
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Cosmo wrote:
    No. From the few times I've met Ed... he does not like pictures. I've seen him take 2 or 3... but, very reluctantly.

I know hes not a fan of taking pics but, he was smiling and laughing! That might've been a good time for one. But anyways, I didnt want to be one of those guys...
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Looks like Matt's drum kit is a little bigger this time around - more cymbals especially. He better be careful, or he's liable to get himself kicked out of the band...

:)
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options

I just got home and was reviewing this thread and this made me crack up!

That would've been awesome!

...He sees my wife and I staring at him, pulls a drumstick out of his back pocket and chucks it at us...
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

• Options
    You lucky bastard. I hate to pick favorites but Matt is the one id wanna meet the most other than ed.

I've always wanted to meet Stone as his riffs are what really got me interested in the band back in the day (well that and Eddie's voice). But after seeing Matt with his kids, I am glad it was him.

It was cool to watch him interact with them like any loving father would. They were all standing up on the subway. So, he was holding on to the rail and his girls were just clinging on to him. They were all smiling and having a good time.
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

• Options
    acutejam wrote:
    Your demonstration of the awesomeness of your restraint is wonderful and to be congratulated. He recognized you, you recognized him, and on you went.

Your karma can only go up from here!

Neat! (But what the heck is he doin on the subway! Like he doesn't have a hotel towncar at his disposal? Too cool!!! This band is just too cool!)

You bring up a great point. The fact that he was riding the subway is cool. He could have easily gotten a car from his hotel and not bothered, but he chose to take the subway like a regular joe!

The Karma thing is funny. Because that thought actually crossed my mind. Like...don't bother him and you'll get paid back in other ways. Well, my 10C number is 224,XXX. My tickets for last nights show were section 3 row K seats 1 and 2. I have to say those were the best seats I've ever had. I believe I got lucky in the ticket lottery. It really made for one incredible night.
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

• Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,098
    I wonder how he would have reacted to a "looking forward to a great show tonight" or a quick "thanks for the music"
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas