Options

Reformating windows.

edited December 2006 in Technical Stuff and Help
I was wondering if anyone has any insight into the legalities of this. If I am offering reformats what is the way to go about it and know that you're following the guidelines?? I had somebody grill me today about this and I really couldn't assure the person at all that the fresh windows wasn't pirated...because it was. My best guess is to purchase the windows versions, extract their cd key out of their existing version.. but that just seems like too much. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    are you setting up a reformat service? people paying for it?

just get Belarc- and that tells you everything about your pc, all the cd keys etc you got on it. Find the windows key and then write it down

then just reformat and use that key..
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    I especially hate the fact you have to "activate" your copy every time you reinstall...

or am I the only one who has experienced this annoying situation?
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options
    Jamal wrote:
    I especially hate the fact you have to "activate" your copy every time you reinstall...

or am I the only one who has experienced this annoying situation?

yea that is a real bitch

what if the computer is crashed and you cant run belarc.........
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    what if the computer is crashed and you cant run belarc.........
    errrm, you're pretty much fucked, unless you have a live-cd around
    BartPE or anything similar (live-cd's thus) is a run-from-cd Operating System and you can use that to run Belarc.

those cd's also come in handy if you need to backup files from a DOA computer
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options
    Jamal wrote:
    errrm, you're pretty much fucked, unless you have a live-cd around
    BartPE or anything similar (live-cd's thus) is a run-from-cd Operating System and you can use that to run Belarc.

those cd's also come in handy if you need to backup files from a DOA computer

I'm not too worried about getting a dead comp to run...I can turn it into a linux box no sweat. And I have a plethora of DOS bootable discs to do what I need them too...just wondering how to make a copy of windows not ingenuine if you reformat for somebody..

I guess I'm looking for an answer a lawyer for microsoft would give me...not any work-around or hack or crazy new OS to boot on it. I just want some little old lady who's computer got deltree'd to not get locked out of her system because it isnt genuine.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    Yea man, just pull there CD key out of the registry and use your disc to install windows. It's the actual key that verifies purchase. It should be totally legal. When you are running a network you just use a single image to do all your drives and set up a license server to verify their keys. Same basic idea.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire